Kents Hill, ME

Kents Hill School 3

Posted September 11, 2014
What a mixed bag...the administration is in complete disarray, and has been for 4+ years as represented by 3 Headmasters-- they need a 4th Head who has actual leadership qualities, not a political wind sniffer. Many of the long term upper echelon (Deans, Administrators, and Business Office) should have left the profession a decade ago. Many have very close ties to the Board of Trustees which further complicate and undermine the Head's role. The core faculty and staff are wholly competent professionals and thoroughly dedicated to the students. The student teacher ratio is also great, particularly in the honors classes. Sports are emphasized and required year round--this has been wonderful for teenage kids who too often find themselves behind screens. Overall, I m very pleased our kids have gone there, but I m really concerned for the future of the school if they can t get their proverbial act together--soon. The consequence of doing nothing will be a further erosion of their admission standards as they seek the almighty tuition dollar to obscure the deeply rooted incompetence behind the curtain. Would I recommend? Yes, but look at the competition closely.

Posted September 09, 2014
I am a kid on the Kents Hill Campus. Life is fantastic!!!!!!! The dining hall is fantastic! The head master is fantastic and the community feel is fantastic!!! Nothing is bad about the school but the fancy dinners are stressful. Kents hill is a great place to be and I recommend this school to anybody!!!

Kents Hill School 2

Posted August 09, 2014
Academically, not challenging in the slightest. Received more of an education from my public high school. Trips are uninteresting and trips to Augusta and Portland are boring after a month. Sports are mandatory, which means even subpar players get to play with outstanding athletes which equals to barely winning anything. The school has nothing going for it, except keeping kids in check. Kids are constantly having sex in each other's dorm rooms, in the orchard, in the woods, etc. The school is good for kids who aren't acedemically or sports inclined and just need an environment where their lackluster abilities don't austrocize them. I'm serious, if your kid is average or an underachiever, Then this place is great.

Posted October 10, 2013
The quality of teachers and sense of community that students experience at Kents Hill is like no other place around. Students are nurtured while they grow to be more independent and find their true academic interest. I wouldn't be half the person I am today without Kents Hill and I know so many who feel the same way. It is way way more than just a school and is such a special place for so many people.

Posted September 01, 2013
Our son is a 4 year graduate with honors from KHS 13'. He played many sports with the school primarily he was a 4 year varsity hockey player. He moved 1500 miles from home at 14 years old. That would never have happened w/o the family environment the school offers. He is currently talking with 4 Ivy League schools and a Hockey East school. This couldn't happen without the outstanding curriculum, staff and coaching KHS provided the last 4 years. This season he is playing in the USPHL Premier league and is looking forward to following his dream of playing division 1 hockey. Kents Hill is a great stepping stone for whatever your child's college ambitions are. We would not change a thing.

Kents Hill School 1

Posted August 31, 2013
My son attended the 10th grade at KHS, after graduating from The Rectory School in CT. The Rectory School is a great school that I can highly recommend. The same can NOT be said for KHS. This school is a complete mess. The Headmaster has been fired after just 2 years. The current Headmaster is there only on a temporary basis, 2 yrs max. Each & every marking period, my son's schedule was posted wrong online on KHS website. 2nd marking period KHS didn't have books for my son's class for 2 weeks, but held him accountable for work. In Chinese class, teacher went to seminar during finals oral presentation & had her husband! come to class & record presentations which she would review & grade when she returned. There are too many other schools out there that do not have any of these problems for you to waste your child's time & your money. My son has transferred to a new school. KHS needs time, perhaps up to 5 yrs to get their school back on track. A proud school that is living off its reputation. Almost no school spirit was evident & student life was lackluster with no real student activities planned regularly for each wkend. I feel you have many other choices of better schools.

Posted July 17, 2013
Kents Hill School has a wonderful sense of community. The school works hard with every student to bring out his/her best qualities and to empower each student to be responsible for his/her own future. Students with differences are clearly accepted by the other students in more mature atmosphere than many public schools. Kents Hill sets the bar very high for the students, and most of the students reach or exceed those standards. The financial sacrifice is well worth the education. High moral values and character are valued at the school both by staff and by fellow students. Peer pressure is strong to succeed. Even though the school is primarily a boarding school, I rated the school high on Parent involvement due to the rating criteria. The school certainly tries to partnership with the parents, whether they are local or from another state/country. It is truly up to the parent to jump on board.

Posted July 17, 2013
I am a student at Kents Hill going into my senior year in the fall of 2013. Kents Hill is a small college prep school in Readfield, Maine. I love this school. The teachers are always there to give you the extra help you need and the feel of the community is like a family. I am very happy in every aspect of the school and couldn't wish for anything more in my high school experience. Kents Hill has done a wonderful job making me confident in everything I do!

Kents Hill School 4

Posted May 26, 2013
Kents Hill provides a kind of "bubble" from the outside world. And within its spherical walls are a whole lot of folks who wish to help you. I found so much kindness from the faculty and my fellow classmates and I can only hope that I did the same. The sheer beauty of the place is breathtaking, especially in the fall. Just beware of the harsh Maine winters. And it's on a hill, so the wind factor is atrocious. Still, there are a couple of fireplaces about, and the one in the newly built Learning Center is wonderful to curl up in a chair next to. I wish that the quality of the food was better, or at least have better quality vegetables. One shouldn't have to resort to Lucky Charms and bagels to get through the day. And as far as academics go, I think that a course in philosophy and economics should be required! Still. I had an extraordinary four-year experience living there and I can't thank my parents enough for allowing me to attend. I tried things that I never had before, like fencing and softball, and fell in love with both. Thank you Kents Hill School!

Kents Hill School 2

Posted February 22, 2013
DON'T GO HERE!! I don't really know where these wonderful reviews come from... I went to this school for four years and I can tell you it is nothing like what has been described by others. I would say that around 90% of the students here are miserable constantly. There is absolutely nothing to do on campus and going into Augusta gets boring after the first 2 months or so. Since the newest headmaster began the school has taken a nose dive. They are trying to expand the amount of students going here, but by doing so are accepting kids with absolutely no intelligence. I kid you not there was a student who had no idea the president was part of the government. There is absolutely no school spirit aside from color week (don't even get me started on that...). The biggest problem of all is the fact that the Dean of Students has literally an unfathomable amount of power over everything. She takes out her anger and frustration on students by not allowing them to get points cleared and does not care if she puts the wrong people in detention and restriction. It has gotten to the point of being unbearable and I can say that the only thing keeping me going at this point is thoughts of college

Kents Hill School