Robert W Traip Academy

Public | 9-12

Posted November 9, 2011

As a current student at TA I have to say that the school has made much improvements over the past few years especially with the new superintendent trying to make the school more modern. The school embraces it's small size and with that you as a student are able to get to know your peers, teachers and other staff really well. This is my second year at TA and between this year and last year there are much improvements at the school which allows the students and the staff members to have a more enjoyable place to come learn and work. Also with the Superintendent as a sort of co-principle at the school being their at the school a few days out of the week it gives a stronger sense of leadership that the administration has at the school making students more respectful and complying with rules as compared to last year. If their were anything I would like to change at the school it would probably be the lack of more choices to take classes out side of the TA class room. Other wise this is a great school with great academics, great athletics, and a great environment.

Posted July 28, 2011

Although most teachers care about teaching at this school, there is no respect between the students or teachers. Teachers frequently gossip about students and one another. There are extremely explicit conversations that occur during the school day, and most parents would be appalled by what is said throughout the day. Traip has very poor time management, and most classes are spent with the students sitting on their laptops using tumblr and facebook, even though they were blocked. Traip is chaotic and possesses a very distracting and frustrating learning environment. I am so relieved to be graduating this upcoming year, as Traip has taken quite a toll on my emotional wellbeing. I deeply regret not attending a private or boarding school for my high school years.

Posted June 30, 2010

There is nothing great about traip. I was a student from 2005-2009. All but two teachers that I had, did not care about the students, they're only there for the money they're (not) receiving. Traip did not challenge me at all. Most of my class I would get a passing grade for sadly just sitting there and doing nothing. I realize that school is the experience that you make it however, it helps if the teachers would care and if it would have more extra curricular activites. This school is just awful.

Posted April 16, 2010

Great school, great teachers, could be a better school if the principal could become full time, great athletics, always competitive student athletes, I wouldn't put the students, the future of this town at any other school.

Posted April 16, 2010

Don't cry over your child being challenged, it is school, if you graduated you would understand, the work load is just right, as a senior you are given freedom to an extent, you are still challenged and guidance is offered strongly if you desire. the school does great for the budget it works with.

Posted January 28, 2010

Great teachers who care about the students. They take the time to know the kids and what makes them tick. If the kids want to be challenged, they will be. It is a small school but offers online course, independent student, etc. I give Traip high grades.

Posted September 16, 2009

This school is a disgrace, I am not impressed with the teaching, and I feel the kids have way to much work after school!

Posted April 2, 2009

I am not impressed with this school at all! The communication is terrible I receive a letter about a concern with my daughter when I called to discuss it I left a message with the assistant principal and got not response. This is my daughers second year in the school and had the same problem last year as well would send emails and call no responses.

Posted October 4, 2008

My daughter is a junior at Traip Academy and this is her second year as a student at TA. She is challenged and motivated by her energetic and thorough teachers. I have been impressed by how enthusiastic and well-prepared her teachers are. For the first time in many years, she is enjoying school and the grades and quality of work on the homework she brings home to me every day proves it.

Posted September 18, 2008

I had two children attend TA as their first year of high school. Overall, I felt as though they were not challenged enough academically. However, I would say that the school staff (particularly the Asst Principle) was very proactive. He always addressed my concerns. If the rest of the teachers had his energy, enthusiasm, and follow through, I'm sure that the students could only benefit. The Assistant Principle is on top of all disciplinary issues, which makes TA a safe place.

Posted June 5, 2008

I hated this school. My college applications appeared lacking and I was denied by a couple becasue 'I was not well rounded enough' During my interveiw at UNH I was even asked why I wasn't more involved in school activities, I thought they would be surprized to hear the school really didn't have many but they weren't. Seems Traip has been making changes, in fact Kittery has too and not for the good.

Posted June 6, 2007

My child was enrolled in Traip Academy this year (2006-2007). My child never came home with something new to have learned everyday. She was not challenged enough...I mean, just because you have a small school doesn't mean that you can't make more challenging classes. There are way too many old teachers that have been there for over 30 years that need to leave. We need more up to date teachers with the new requirements to be a teacher. There is too much controversy between the Kittery School District and how they spend the money on the school. Clearly, they haven't done a good job. They need more improvement from someone who knows how to act upon certain situations.

Posted January 29, 2007

The experience at TA was not a great one. I had just moved my child from another school. There are no great classes that are offered from the school. Parent involvement is not a strength in the school district. Poor academic programs. There is no availability to extracurricular sctivities. I give this school an ok grade.

Grade level

Critical Reading

The state average for Critical Reading was 49% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 43% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or above

In 2012-2013 Maine used the Maine High School Assessment (MHSA) to test students in grade 11 in critical reading, math, writing and science. The results reported show how well students are mastering state standards, specific skills defined by the state of Maine. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Maine Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 7%N/A43%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

12 Williams Ave