Poland Regional High School 5

Posted February 28, 2014
The principal was just chosen as Maine's secondary school Principal of the Year; the faculty are dedicated, intelligent, enthusiastic, and caring; the overall school culture is positive and geared toward helping kids learn and be challenged at whatever level they're at. Don't believe the trite and cowardly comments you read by negative posters below. Visit the school yourself.

Poland Regional High School 4

Posted December 08, 2013
My daughter is now in college and when I asked her if she was well prepared for college she said, "Very much so!" During her four years, she has had a largh smattering of teachers and most of them were "Top Notch." The progressive grading system may be different, but that does not make it inefective. Once colleges understand how it works, they are usually on board with it. I have to laugh at most of these other student and parent reviews giving this school at most one star. Education is much like anything in life: YOU GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT! Teachers are not going to make you do the work if you do not want to, and if you choose to take the easy way out taking non challenging classes, perhaps college is a rude awakening. Students who are gifed are challenged and can even take classes at Bates College if they are up for it. I have two more students going through. Looking forward to the experience again.

Poland Regional High School 2

Posted November 11, 2013
A lot of cynicism on the part of teachers and administration. Some good teachers, but all are burdened by busy work handed down by the administration, mandatory laptops and so on. New teachers receive minimal mentoring. Former Superintendent and business manager embezzled huge amounts of money. The principal is equal parts despot and valley girl. In an area with such a wide range of poverty and affluence, homogeneous classrooms just don't work. Gifted kids are held back and struggling kids don't get what they need. Lots of teachers here are jaded and, frankly, don't care and those that do care are outnumbered. This is a regional school, so some unlucky kids have and hour and a half bus ride to get to this den of mediocrity by 7:15 am.

Posted April 08, 2013
Terrible, most of the teachers will only give you good grades if you participate in sports, if not, they'll fail you. All this school cares about is sports, so if you aren't into that stuff, welcome to the most hardest school in America. They expect great grades, half of the students fail all their classes, including me. I'm not letting my kids go here when i have to make the choice. If you're a parent trying to find where to send your kids, this should be your last choice.

Poland Regional High School 2

Posted October 29, 2012
In all honesty the school has potential, there are school that are far worse off. The speech and debate team is absolutely wonderful, the sports teams not so much. As far as academics go It seems to me that less and less is offered every year and the teaching style just doesn't work for everyone. I've seen intelligent kids find adult ed to be a better option and that's just a little sad. I just hope the school keeps its promise to progress and doesn't stagnate in their non-pliable beliefs.

Posted May 10, 2012
Because of my oldest's experience at PRHS, I am now a homeschooling parent!! I hate this school system!! They let my child go from 4th grade to 10th grade before finally getting some testing done that officially diagnosed her with a learning disability. I kept trying to get something done but nobody listened! She finally dropped out at 17 and got her diploma through Adult Education. I WILL be homeschooling my other 2 little ones!!

Posted April 01, 2012
I am a student here at Poland, and I'm not very impressed with the way the system is, please save yourselves the trouble. Do not send your kids here.

Poland Regional High School 4

Posted September 27, 2010
A step above most high schools in the area. My daughter was well- prepared for college & currently doing well at a major university. Teachers she encountered at PRHS were competent and caring. AP & roundable classes were beneficial.

Posted August 09, 2010
Poland Regional High School does not have very many good teachers and the administration does not get anything done. Teachers fly by the seat of their pants and are never prepared for the class they are teaching. They "wing it" most days with no organized classwork or homework. When I asked my son's teacher how I would know what they were doing in class and about assignments, she said that it would all be on their new online system by class. Well, she was right - there was information there- just information from September and this was the 2nd semester. I couldn't find any of my son's classes with current information.

Posted August 03, 2010
I have had two children graduate from PRHS, the first in 2008 and the next in 2010. I am preparing to send my last child to PRHS and am not looking forward to the next four years. The grading system is flawed and has been since day one; when a parent complains about it they are informed that it takes a while to understand it. PRHS does not prepare students well for life after high school. This being said by my junior in college who felt he wasn't ready for college life and his teachers should have prepared him better. As for their Sports Done Right program I find this laughable; bench kids to win at all costs and yes it has happened I have witnessed it first hand on the baseball field and it wasn't my athlete that was sitting on the bench.

Poland Regional High School
1457 Maine St, Poland, ME  04274
Last modified Poland Regional High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12
Poland Regional High School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top