Howard C Reiche Community School

Public | K-5 | 339 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 6, 2014

The teachers and staff are truly dedicated to making this a community school. My two children attend this school and I feel we are really a part of the Reiche family. The staff is always accessible to discuss ideas and/or address any concerns. It is empowering to have a respected voice in my children's education.

Posted December 29, 2012

We have had a tremendous experience at Reiche School. Two of our three children attend and our third will be enrolled next year. My school aged children are very different learners and each of their needs have been met. I feel that the teaching staff listens and I am awed by their performance on a day to day basis given the complexity of the student body. I feel that there is a strong bond between teachers, staff, parents, and guardians which sets a tremendous example to the children of this school. Our diversity binds us as a community and there is a strong commitment to have all of the children at Reiche succeed as passionate learners and compassionate young adults. We feel very lucky to be a part of this school.

Posted June 12, 2012

love the diversity, but my son fell through the cracks at this school... too much emphasis on ESL/

Posted April 7, 2011

All three of my children have attended Reiche. This school is not just where my children go during the day, it is a part of our lives. The spirit and energy that the teachers and staff bring to Reiche is amazing. I have one child with a learning disability, the extra services and attention that are provided are outstanding. If you are a parent that likes being active within your child's school, Reiche will embrace you warmly

Posted April 29, 2010

I love Reiche school because i feel it is the most diversified school in portland. I feel it deserves more credit for what the school does for its students and staff. I had gone there and my 2 older children have been there and my youngest will go there. I would recommend reiche to any family.

Posted April 24, 2010

Due to the recent rise in immigration here, Reiche School in Portland, Maine has an incredibly diverse student body. This school is one big melting pot, with truly dedicated teachers, aides, support staff, volunteers, etc.

Posted February 13, 2006

We have had a great experience at Reiche so far. My son, who is in first grade, loves school and is excelling academically, socially and emotionally. My husband and I find that the atmosphere is charged and exciting and the teachers are excellent and highly motivated. We can't imagine sending him to another school.

Posted June 8, 2004

On the whole, the teachers seem like they will die if they have to teach for another minute. There are a few teachers, however, who really seem to enjoy teaching and enjoy the children they teach. While the curriculum is probably geared to educate all of the children, I have noticed that (at least my child's teachers) will give extra help to those who need it and give extra work to those who excel. I have some concerns about the safety in general at the school. I see a lot of children being pushed and picked on daily, and a lot of times the teachers just continue their conversations rather than help. The cleaning/maintenance staff needs to do a better job cleaning up broken glass around the campus. I think the diversity is great at Reiche and am very happy that my daughter has the opportunity to have friends outside our own culture. My daughter really likes Reiche which is probably the only reason she's staying there. I think the biggest improvements need to be made in teacher attitude and quality, safety of the children, and respect for peers and adults by the children.

Posted March 15, 2004

My daughter began Kindergarten here in 2003 and we have been very impressed with the school, its atmosphere and quality of its teachers. The school is diverse -- children come from many income levels and many ethnic groups -- and the staff has developed an amazing atmosphere of respect and appreciation for those differences. The result is a lively, accepting and creative atmosphere. While no school is perfect, Reiche represents all the good aspects of what public education can be.

Posted January 12, 2004

My child is in grade K at Reiche. I have found that the school is overcrowded and really isn't that interested in my child's well being. At the beginning of the year, he was moved from a classroom that I really liked without my consent and against my wishes. I am looking for other school options for 1st grade. I do not feel valued as a parent at Reiche. Many of the families at Reiche are low income or socially marginalized in some other way. I feel that my child has taken a backseat to the few children whose familys do not fall into a socially marginalized category. At this point, I feel it was a mistake to send my child there and we are surviving the year.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or above

In 2012-2013 Maine used the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math and in grades 5 and 8 in writing. The NECAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maine. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 45% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 70% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or above

In 2012-2013 Maine used the Maine Educational Assessment (MEA) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MEA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maine. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Asian 7% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 73%N/A43%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

166 Brackett St