Longfellow School-Portland 5

Posted August 17, 2014
We moved into the neighborhood because of its walkability and the reputation of Longfellow. We've loved walking the kids to school and the feeling in the halls of the school of acceptance and caring. The educational experience has been great, all the teachers we have had were committed and caring and taught to the kids' interests and skills. I did not feel they "teach to the test" or that they discouraged kids from thinking freely. The involvement of the parents, and an administration that works with parents to make sure their involvement helps the kids' experience, is a big plus. It's not the most diverse school in Portland, but compared to the schools in the suburbs it's like the United Nations. And it has a great deal of economic diversity. All in all, my only complaint is that the building clearly needs a renovation, given that it is 50+ years old and shows it. But I hear a renovation is in the works.

Longfellow School-Portland 3

Posted August 14, 2013
awesome community support through fund raising and involved pto. amazing learning garden. disconnect with school administration (principal) / parents & students. large class sizes take away from one on one instruction. no cafeteria on grounds. school grounds not well cared for, lots of trash outside building, and in children's play areas.

Longfellow School-Portland 2

Posted May 03, 2013
Longfellow has good test scores, however, it is a school that "teaches to the test," at the expense of promoting critical thinking abilities in children. Additionally, it has an incredibly homogenous student body. There is almost no ethnic diversity.

Posted October 19, 2010
Great staff (many long-term), smallish classes, diversity of students, very parent-friendly.

Posted October 22, 2009
I love Longfellow because my nephew is excited about going to school. I am amazed at how much he has learned since starting kindergarten and I love to see how proud he is to share what's he has learned.

Posted October 21, 2009
The staff/ teachers are great. The school has a wonderful atmosphere for all grades.My Grandsons classroom is phenomenal the way his teacher has it decorated. A very warm and educating class room in every respect.

Posted October 21, 2009
Speaking as an educator, Longfellow has the most involved parents I have ever experienced. This has a tremendous impact on student learning and achievement.

Posted October 21, 2009
I have had three children go through Longfellow Elementary. My youngest is in his last year. It has consistently been a place of great teaching and great community involvement.

Posted October 21, 2009
I see how quickly my child is learning and am quite impressed with Longfellow School

Posted October 21, 2009
Longfellow rocks the house. My children love it, learn lots, the staff and teachers are aces. Best of all is the great collaboration of the PTO. There is no better school in the Portland School district.

Longfellow School-Portland
432 Stevens Ave, Portland, ME  04103
Last modified Longfellow School-Portland is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Longfellow School-Portland Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top