Bad
Good

Portland High School is a beautiful school, really niche architecturally, set in the heart of downtown Portland Maine. It is culturally rich, diverse, and they give a lot to the community. Our kids were very well prepared for college when they graduated! Thanks PPHS!

As an alumni, I found PHS during my time there very diverse and prides itself on the diversity found among the students. Where else do you have the option of more than 6 languages to study. I also find that the faculty does care and deals with truancy seriously. The comment from June 16 is very incorrect, as I know from experience that the school will call (several times) if you are absent, however, the faculty and staff expects full parental/guardian involvement in the students activities and academics.

I'm not impressed with the way things are run at the Portland High School. My son, soon 17, goes there. He doesn't go to School everyday & when he does go he doesn't go to all his classes & the staff there don't care. The only way I find out that something is wrong is when I call the School or go there personally. Or when my son breaks something in the School then they call me. Other than that, they don't care. They don't even have Truant Officers looking out for kids who are running the streets during School hours. I went to Schools in New York City. Schools in N.Y would call the parents every time their child isn't in School or if they were picked up by Truant Officers. I wouldn't recommend this School to anybody. Sorry.

I believe that all aspects of the school are outstanding. It is safe, diverse, respectful and challenging, with a wide variety of offerings, excellent teachers and fine leadership.

My son transfered to Portland High School from a private school and he/love it. He is now a junior and is receiving a great education and part of a wonderful and diverse community.

I attended Portland High School in from 2000-2005. I recently graduated from the University of Vermont, and I have to say, the English teachers at Portland High school are some of the best in the nation. I received my degree in English, and thanks to a few incredible teachers at Portland, my four years at UVM were a breeze. I owe Portland a huge thanks!

We are the most diverse school in Portland, as well as one of the most welcoming towards people of all faiths, backgrounds, and ethnicities. I am truly proud of my high school- the quality of learning is exceptional, and the student body is so rich with cultures.

Outstanding school. It has a pioneering program working with the Governor Baxter School for the Deaf. My child has gotten the support she needs to succeed as a deaf adult because of the wonderful teachers she has had as well as interpreters. Top notch program.

A great diverse school offering quality education in an urban setting....my son thrived here!

I think it is an excellent school. My daughter will leave with a great experience, as well as several college credits. She has been accepted to several top schools. It has been a great school all around.

Last modified Portland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.