Posted June 12, 2013
I love McAuley. The small class sizes and rigorous standards are perfect for me, and they can be adjusted to fit just about everybody. It's not just a community feeling, we're a family. There are no cliques or stereotypes, and everyone is wonderfully mature without being strict or boring. The teachers treat you as if you're their own daughter. Sports and extracurriculars are wonderful, the Drama program has been one of the best experiences of my life. Thank you, McAuley.

Posted September 05, 2012
Our daughter is obtaining an exceptional prep-school education in a kind although challenging environment. Extraordinary, talented, motivated, and devoted teachers and staff who model compassion and excellence. The community is diverse, international, and surprisingly ecumenical. McAuley has extremely academically rigorous classes (Honors/AP) and also offers CP and levels appropriate for a diverse group. McAuley has traditions, a competitive sports program, and many club opportunities. The guidance team is excellent and has a reputation for college planning which is stellar. We are so grateful to McAuley!

Posted June 16, 2011
This was my first year going to school here, and I thought that it was wonderful. It was a lot better than I had imagined. The studies and the work are hard, but the teachers are all friendly and willing to help you. I loved all of my teachers this year. Many people would be put off bythe fact that there arent any boys, but honestly, you don't even notice it. I love this school and am very much looking forward to my next three years here.

Posted June 16, 2011
Our oldest daughter graduated from McAuley having had an outstanding experience with teachers and peers. Our youngest will begin at McAuley in the fall and has been exited to do so since she was six! The over-arching theme at the school is familial and supportive. Friendships crossed groups and interests.

Posted June 16, 2011
The Catherine McAuley experience is unique in Maine. It is academically rigorous, but there is respect for all students - even those who are not at the top of the academic heap. The participation rate is amazing...virtually every student is involved - really involved, not just piling up junk to look good on the college app- in multiple activities. Nearly everyone participates in at least one sport, and 4 are offered each season. Additionally, the drama program, 'We the People' and Poetry Out Loud winner abound. Community service is a big deal, and my daughter was changed by it, the Ethical Leadership course and her participation in several youth leadership programs. I can't say enough good things about McAuley, it is like a big family.

Posted March 29, 2011
Being a Senior this year at McAuley I cannot say enough about what the school has done for me. I have developed my character throughout my years spent at McAuley. The teachers and staff are extremely focused on the subjects they teach and their students. Willing to help and spend anytime you need with them outside of class allowed me to excel in my classes. I will also emphasize how much the school have driven me above my limits, always pushing me to take harder courses which have rewarded me. About to graduate, I feel extremely well prepared for college next year!

Catherine Mcauley High School 1

Posted September 07, 2009

Catherine Mcauley High School 2

Posted June 04, 2008
I am a former McAuley student from '03-'05 and despite many of the stellar reviews from parents, I would not recommend this school. I made many wonderful friends at McAuley, but the overall atmosphere was overbearing and stifling. I found the academics to be rigorous but devoid of content. I learned to work hard at meaningless tasks for meaningless reward, and learned painfully. McAuley puts more effort into maintaining an image than in living up to it. The individual is only valued if that person fits into the mold of a 'proper' young woman. Those who don't are discouraged, discredited and even put down. In some karmic way, I sure McAuley was good for my character. I just wish I could have learned these lessons in a less depressing way.

Catherine Mcauley High School 4

Posted May 29, 2008

Posted May 24, 2008
To begin with, McAuley was not my school of choice, but my mom told me I had to go because she believed in the whole single-sex education ideal, and also my sister had gone there before me. I remember dreading Freshman orientation, but I loved it. I had the time of my life and I met my best friend that day. The girls at McAuley while I was there were amazing. They were always supportive of eachother in good times and in bad. I never really experienced the whole 'clique question' because I was friendly with everyone in my class. In middle school I was kind of shy and scared because I had switched schools halfway through 7th grade, but that persona disappeared at McAuley. I find myself able to connect to others easily, and McAuley definitely prepared me for college in countless ways. I loved this school and the sisters!

Catherine Mcauley High School
631 Stevens Avenue, Portland, ME  04103
Last modified Catherine Mcauley High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Catherine Mcauley High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top