PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

It's a respectful, stimulating, whole person environment that teaches students to imagine and synthesize, to explore and evaluate, to take responsibility while relying on others.

I considered homeschooling and now am totally convinced that my daughter is getting everything I could have given her at home AND MORE at Breakwater. She has individualized attention, a supportive group of peers, 100% equal emphasis on creativity, art, music, math, science, tinkering, etc. and I benefit from an amazing community of educators and parents as well. I am SO glad we found Breakwater and just wish it could go through high school!

Amount of homework: Agree

They are not into large amounts of homework; it's really a choice rather than a requirement, and there's no grading until middle school.

I come from out of town to visit my grandkids several times a year. I am always welcomed in the Breakwater Community and feel like a real part of their educational experience. The teachers are so compassionate and kind to the kids, and the kids are so well balanced in their lives. They learn about life and how to be a part of a community as well as their basics.

As a grandparent, I've seen my granddaughter flourish at Breakwater. She is becoming a "life long learner" and isn't afraid to try new things. She is fascinated by what she is learning and the unique opportunities and venues in which to learn. As an only child and now a 6th grader, she moves through all aspects of her life with a smile and confidence in her abilities to tackle the world! Thank you Breakwater!

My daughter has been at Breakwater for 5 years. I come from a family of educators and have worked in schools before. I cannot not say enough about what a wonderful school Breakwater is! It is a school who truly sees each child, their strengths & challenges. In addition to a quality education (academics), the teaching and spirit of the school also addresses the development of critical thinking and metacognition, experiential learning, community involvement, and global issues, among other things. The school environment is energetic, lively, and joyous. i can honestly say this school has changed my daughter's life and our family's life for the better. I highly recommend this school:)

Breakwater School is awesome! It's great for individual attention to each student. The programs are creative and vast! We love Breakwater!!

Our son has been at Breakwater for two years and we have found the staff and program to be outstanding. It sometimes amazes me that a place that he finds to be so fun, with activities that are so creative, still manages to fully incorporate the skills and lessons that he needs to cover. we are very happy with the experience.

Our two sons have been at Breakwater School for many years and they have found the academic environment challenging and inspiring. The faculty and staff at the school are fantastic and caring. Also, the afternoon extracurricular programs are engaging, innovative and fun. Breakwater is a great school!

Waste of money. Teachers are inexperienced. Staff is unprofessional. Campus is lacking in adequate space. No sports fields or programs. Our son was TOLD to leave the school because he was two years behind in reading and a year behind in mathematics (despite the fact that NO testing had been conducted, and they had NO proof of their allegations). After one year of public school he scored in the top 10% of students in the state for mathematics and now reads above his grade level. And this was all accomplished from a teacher that has 20 other students in her class. Clearly shows that Breakwater is incapable of providing quality education. Leaving that school and putting our kids into the Portland Public School system was nothing short of a blessing. I am not the only one that feel this way, they have a bad reputation, for good reason.

Last modified Breakwater School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8