Scarborough High School

Public | 9-12 | 1066 students

Posted May 28, 2014

My daughter is graduating this year, but she still does not know how to tell time or count money! I don't believe she should graduate.

Posted August 8, 2010

This school is all about image. I graduated from SHS but my sister is still attending, and I can't wait until she is free from that place. In SHS, the teachers and administrators seem to care more about whether people are dressing like business people than if the students are actually learning anything. They stress test scores extremely but don't care to teach anything beyond what is required for the Maine standardized tests. Also, Scarborough caters very nicely to the very academic kids and to the kids who start trouble. It's all the kids who fall in the middle, who are seen as just "average" that they let slip through the cracks. I was one of those kids. I didn't care for the bureaucracy that is Scarborough High School. Sports and activities are abundant, but everything is about money there, even amongst the kids.

Posted November 18, 2009

I am a student at SHS, and I really don't like it. I dread going to school, and not just because it's school. I am not as intelligent, or rich as a lot of the other students at shs, and I feel like it is a large factor as to why I am treated differently. A lot of students there don't accept people who are 'different' than them, and they are kind of mean. Of course there are very good things about shs too. For example, there are a lot of extra-curricular activites, and clubs. There are so many clubs, and most people can find at least one that they like, and feel accepted in.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 26, 2008

I am a parent of a child who graduated in the to 10% of the class and a parent of a special needs child who requires special services. SHS has served both of my children well. They provide a challenging academic experience and also have a great special education department that serves the nees of special needs children. We have been very happy with their services

Posted February 10, 2007

As an educator and parent, my experience with SHS has been dismal. Although there are a number of caring, competent teachers, the overall focus is on students with high SAT scores and no academic challenges. Students with challenges are not supported nor do they appear to be a priority in the system. I would only recommend this school to parents of children who fit in the first category.

Posted October 19, 2006

As a graduate of SHS and now a parent of school age children, I can honestly say that the education I received and the school as a whole is excellent. I recommend the school to anyone. The academics are challenging, the extracurriculars are abundant, and I had a wonderful experience at the school. I graduated with honors, graduated college with a 3.5 GPA. SHS completely prepared me for working, for life. Thanks SHS!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 27, 2006

As a former student I can honestly say that SHS prepared me for a rigorous college curriculum at a respected university. There are an array of Advanced Placement courses available and plenty of extracurricular activities. I can agree with the previous comment about sex and drugs being prevalent but that s simply how most high schools are these days. Overall my experience at Scarborough was superb and I would consider it one of the better high schools in the state of Maine.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 22, 2006

I believe this school has expanded to quickly and there is a lot of disorganization. I feel my daughter had an above average education. This school is an upper class school. Most kids with their own cars etc. Most have 2 parents working outside the home and little supervision and a lot of cash. Student drug use and flippant attitude towards sex very disturbing. Felt administartion tries to control things, but student body is large.

Posted December 21, 2004

Scarborough High School is fine for the kids that DON'T require additional services, however, for children, like my son who has Asperger Syndrome, the school is a huge disappointment! The accredidation for the school, completed this year, 2004, states that the school caters to its elite, whereas, there are few options for children who require a little more help to prepare them for life after high school. Kids, like my son who has a high IQ but has dificulty in communication and social skills. Writing, in particular, is very difficult. My son, a 10th grader, cannot read or write in cursive. He cannot sign his name on a check. His goal is to attend college. The administration refuses to teach him, even though, I have proof that he has never been taught and has the capacity to learn, independent OT evaluation. Most teachers really do care, but administration binds their hands.

Posted November 30, 2004

Scarborough High School has good teachers and many extra curricular activities. The grading system, and graduation standards change frequently.
—Submitted by a student

Grade level

Critical Reading

The state average for Critical Reading was 49% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2013.

268 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 43% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or above

In 2012-2013 Maine used the Maine High School Assessment (MHSA) to test students in grade 11 in critical reading, math, writing and science. The results reported show how well students are mastering state standards, specific skills defined by the state of Maine. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Maine Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 5%N/A43%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11 Municipal Dr