Bad
Good

My son is soon to be an 11h grader. He has been challenged in every way possible though AP classes and after school activities. They make every effort to get the classes my son wants. The teachers are great for the most part. I am sure my son will be prepared for college.

My daughter is graduating this year, but she still does not know how to tell time or count money! I don't believe she should graduate.

This school is all about image. I graduated from SHS but my sister is still attending, and I can't wait until she is free from that place. In SHS, the teachers and administrators seem to care more about whether people are dressing like business people than if the students are actually learning anything. They stress test scores extremely but don't care to teach anything beyond what is required for the Maine standardized tests. Also, Scarborough caters very nicely to the very academic kids and to the kids who start trouble. It's all the kids who fall in the middle, who are seen as just "average" that they let slip through the cracks. I was one of those kids. I didn't care for the bureaucracy that is Scarborough High School. Sports and activities are abundant, but everything is about money there, even amongst the kids.

I am a student at SHS, and I really don't like it. I dread going to school, and not just because it's school. I am not as intelligent, or rich as a lot of the other students at shs, and I feel like it is a large factor as to why I am treated differently. A lot of students there don't accept people who are 'different' than them, and they are kind of mean. Of course there are very good things about shs too. For example, there are a lot of extra-curricular activites, and clubs. There are so many clubs, and most people can find at least one that they like, and feel accepted in.

I am a parent of a child who graduated in the to 10% of the class and a parent of a special needs child who requires special services. SHS has served both of my children well. They provide a challenging academic experience and also have a great special education department that serves the nees of special needs children. We have been very happy with their services

As an educator and parent, my experience with SHS has been dismal. Although there are a number of caring, competent teachers, the overall focus is on students with high SAT scores and no academic challenges. Students with challenges are not supported nor do they appear to be a priority in the system. I would only recommend this school to parents of children who fit in the first category.

As a graduate of SHS and now a parent of school age children, I can honestly say that the education I received and the school as a whole is excellent. I recommend the school to anyone. The academics are challenging, the extracurriculars are abundant, and I had a wonderful experience at the school. I graduated with honors, graduated college with a 3.5 GPA. SHS completely prepared me for working, for life. Thanks SHS!

Last modified Scarborough High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.