Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 14, 2016
I just want to thank the janitors because they have so much work to do. The students are really considerate and leave the lunchroom a complete mess. They're really under appreciated.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted May 14, 2016
Some teachers don't really give homework at all, while other teachers give so much that you're swamped and can't do anything at all that night. It really depends on the teachers you have.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted May 14, 2016
They don't have anything that's really challenging, so we don't get a chance to be very persistent.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted May 14, 2016
The school does a poor job of showing it. There is a "no touching" rule, which applies to hugging a friend. It's kinda hard to care for a friend when you can't touch them.

Scarborough Middle School 1

Posted May 14, 2016
The teachers don't really know what they're doing and the curriculum is terrible. They keep teaching the same thing every year. This may be because they changed curriculums, but I learned the same exact thing in science in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade, while the grade above me learned a variety of different things in each. For math, even in the advanced math class, we have spend over half of the year reviewing things that we learned in years prior. To add to the insanity of the curriculum, the teachers don't respect the students at all. For example, A FEDERAL LAW states that you can't force a child to say the pledge of allegiance for religious reasons. I have had many teachers demand that I stand for it, even when I don't have to. When I talk back to them to support my case AND THE LAW, they try to give me detention. I have had numerous visits to the principal's office about this and nothing has changed. The school also enforces rules that don't exist, but forget the rules that do. In the dress code, we're not allowed to wear leggings, more than half of the population of girls wear leggings as pants, none of the teachers call anyone out on it. I once wore a cat-ear headband to school and they said it was "Distracting and considered a hat" and they didn't let me wear it. I later had a meeting with the principal about this and she told me the same thing... later she admitted to lying to me about that. Another time, a teacher of the opposite gender forcibly grabbed a petition I was holding without asking for it first, or saying anything at all. I had to chase him down and confront him about it to learn why. One of the art teachers talks about how to hold a pencil for 50 of the 60 minutes of class, gives us 3 classes to get an assignment done, and then gives everyone detention for not finishing their project on time. Of course we won't have our art done in only 20 minutes of work time, we should've had 120 minutes to get it done. The same teachers also shouts at her students for being quiet when she wants them to be, and also following her directions for cleanup. I know for a fact that many parents have complained about her, and nothing has been done. There is also no time in between periods, they expect people to walk from the opposite side of the school to the other, change for gym, and get into the gym in 0 minutes. The school makes no sense whatsoever.

Scarborough Middle School 4

Posted October 20, 2013
After moving to the town of Scarborough and going to SMS throughout my middleschool career, I can say with all my heart that I dreaded school there everyday. The community is just full of rich white kids who can't see a world beyond their $200 UGGs. The school has roughly 800 students but through out my years there, I only saw about 40 of them. The school is divided into multiple wings that you stay on for all 3 years. Because of this the school is completely segregated, and cut off from each other. The only way that a child could meet someone out of their wing would be if they did sports. If your not very sporty like I was though, your out of luck. The cafeteria food is ok, basic for what you find now of days. The only issue is that there is a huge unneccesary variety of junk foods such as icecreams, and potatoe chips. I remember kids buying both of these everyday. The only thing good about this school was that it made me realize how terrible it can be to grow up in a perfect home. You dont realize how important it is to see the world unless you visit a community such as this one.

Scarborough Middle School 5

Posted March 18, 2013
I really enjoyed going to this school and the whole environment there is great. I wish I could come back to school there and meet my 6th and 7th grade again.

Scarborough Middle School 1

Posted February 28, 2013
Scarborough Middle School *might* work for some people, but I find their system unsatisfactory. As a student in the top 1%, I have found what I feel is practically no flexibility in their curriculum, which is completely focused on memorizing facts. While the teachers are very good, I feel that the way the school has implemented the new curriculum has only served to detract from my education, and as I have practically hit their ceiling, while at the same time knowing people who are far ahead of me who have succeeded on only what the school provides, I find myself spending countless hours so that I could keep up to par with the rest of the world. Their mandatory specials are boring, and end up teaching very little. In fact, if I was not in GATES, I would see no reason to go here!

Posted September 16, 2009
Scarborough Middle School provides a beautiful backdrop to a fantastc learning environment. It is broken up into smaller wingsthat give a sene of team and pride in school. The curriculum is challenging and accommodates mny learning styles and abilities.

21 Quentin Dr, Scarborough, ME  04074
Last modified Scarborough Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.