PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

At Berwick, our faculty and staff are constantly working to advance the overall student experience. As a school and a community, we understand that feedback from both parents and students is paramount to our success. We strive to continue growing and are committed to consistently improving. Your comments help to affirm what we do well and bring awareness to what we need to be doing better.
April 01, 2015

Bad
Good

My childhas been at BA from kindergarten through fourth grade, so I can really only discuss the Lower School experience, which has been exceptional. The sense of community is really impressive. Every teacher with whom I have interacted has been genuinely interested and caring and all of them have been technically excellent. My child has really responded to all of them too. The curriculum is thorough and varied with options available that aren't usually in the area public schools (multiple languages, private music lessons, social emotional learning, innovation program). The class sizes are small and the facilities are top notch (touch tank in the science room, wellness center with test kitchen and yoga space, tablets and computers in all classrooms...). It is a very liberal school with emphasis on diversity and multiculturalism so if that seems too "touchy feely" to you, you may want to look elsewhere, but if you want a high quality education for your lower schooler, look no further. I am so pleased that my child gets to go to Berwick Academy.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school takes its responsibility to its students seriously. They really believe in their mission statement. They believe honestry, integrity and fairness are important.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted April 01, 2015

This school contains mostly kids who don't like school. It's the place that kids go if they didn't get into a better school, or if their parent forced them to go there. The kids are very clichy and the teachers and administration do not get along well with the student body. The matriculations of this schools says a lot about Berwick Academy. The top two schools kids go to college are University of NH (21) and University of Vermont (16) both of which have an acceptance rate of 77%! You might as well take the picture of your dream house and replace it with your child's diploma if you are happy with your child going to a mediocre at best college when compared to the ~$140,000 of Berwick Academy for high school alone.

My favorite part of my day is my English class. Here at Berwick, many English and history classes are discussion based. Teachers prod and encourage us with questions, but most of the time students arrive in class with ideas and opinions about the current subject we are looking at or the reading we have been doing. We are respectful of everyone's opinions, but I love it because people are also not afraid to speak out, kindly, and challenge others opinions with their own. The intellectual responses to subjects become really creative and make me rethink and recreate my perspectives and ideas. Right now we are looking at some of Anne Sexton's writing, specifically surrounding her transformations of old fairy tales. These poems are filled with cultural references and critiques that are hidden in her language. It is pretty unbelievable.

As a current student of Berwick, my experience has been nothing short of excellent. Coming in as a Junior I was a little apprehensive, leaving my friends from my local public school and only knowing a few students attending Berwick, but almost seamlessly the close knit community made me feel at ease. Everyone was so accepting and kind. My first week at school I had students and faculty coming up to me, introducing themselves and welcoming me, it was so effortless to make new friends. In the classroom, the class sizes are so small that they feel personal. You can't hide in the back just hoping to slide on by, you're expected to engage yourself in class discussions. This has improved me both as a student and person, raising my test scores and encouraging me to take risks and try new things. Berwick has not only given me an amazing education, but has provided me with life skills that will be with me for the rest of my life. I feel prepared and excited for college, thanks to Berwick.

My two children have been at Berwick Academy from the first grade, they are now in fifth and seventh. We feel fortunate to have a school of this caliber in our area. BA promotes a sense of caring and community, provides an arena for children to flourish academically and has the resources to offer multiple extra-curricular activities within the school day. Administration has an open door policy and it has been my experience that they listen and they respond. Faculty are committed and invested and communication lines for parents are always open. The campus is beautifully maintained and welcoming. I wold 100pc recommend BA to prospective families and encourage those exploring their options to come and visit. My children are performing well and most importantly are very happy here and as a parent that makes me very happy!

My Daughter has been at Berwick for 5 years. We moved her out of the public school system that she was in (and that i graduated from). She is graduating this year with options, thought processes, and a grounded sense of herself that I do not see in her peer group from the public school system (who she still stays in contact with). Berwick has been great for my kids, so much so that we put our son in last year after he was having issues in school retaining what was taught (5th grade). He was embraced here, has found a real like for engineering, and is exploring that like within a faculty supported after school engineering program. As always you get out of a school what you are willing to put into it! If the kids are lazy and want an easy ride don't send them here- if they want a real education, and the you want your child to come out balanced, focused and ready to engage college and life then this is the perfect school for them.

Berwick Academy has provided an amazing eduction for all three of my children. They have all attended BA from Kindergarten on - we now have one child in each division. With an economically diverse student body, broad academic offerings (arts and athletics, included), and incredible teaching - there is something for everyone. It's a great place to let children explore their passions, with encouragment from teachers and students. We couldn't be happier with our decision to send our children to Berwick. A true investment in their futures!

I have two children at Berwick Academy and we could not be happier. One of the school's missions is for the students to have balance in their lives, and I think they work very hard at achieving this. The academics are excellent, but not overwhelming to the point that the kids can't do anything else. There are numerous opportunities to pursue individual interests through programs like the Innovation Center, which really allows the child to grow in an area that they are passionate about. I believe that the school gets better with each year that my children attend.

Last modified Berwick Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12