South Berwick, ME

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

At Berwick, our faculty and staff are constantly working to advance the overall student experience. As a school and a community, we understand that feedback from both parents and students is paramount to our success. We strive to continue growing and are committed to consistently improving. Your comments help to affirm what we do well and bring awareness to what we need to be doing better.
April 01, 2015

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted April 01, 2015

Berwick Academy 1

Posted March 28, 2015
This school contains mostly kids who don't like school. It's the place that kids go if they didn't get into a better school, or if their parent forced them to go there. The kids are very clichy and the teachers and administration do not get along well with the student body. The matriculations of this schools says a lot about Berwick Academy. The top two schools kids go to college are University of NH (21) and University of Vermont (16) both of which have an acceptance rate of 77%! You might as well take the picture of your dream house and replace it with your child's diploma if you are happy with your child going to a mediocre at best college when compared to the ~$140,000 of Berwick Academy for high school alone.

Berwick Academy 4

Posted November 16, 2014
My favorite part of my day is my English class. Here at Berwick, many English and history classes are discussion based. Teachers prod and encourage us with questions, but most of the time students arrive in class with ideas and opinions about the current subject we are looking at or the reading we have been doing. We are respectful of everyone's opinions, but I love it because people are also not afraid to speak out, kindly, and challenge others opinions with their own. The intellectual responses to subjects become really creative and make me rethink and recreate my perspectives and ideas. Right now we are looking at some of Anne Sexton's writing, specifically surrounding her transformations of old fairy tales. These poems are filled with cultural references and critiques that are hidden in her language. It is pretty unbelievable.

Posted November 15, 2014
As a current student of Berwick, my experience has been nothing short of excellent. Coming in as a Junior I was a little apprehensive, leaving my friends from my local public school and only knowing a few students attending Berwick, but almost seamlessly the close knit community made me feel at ease. Everyone was so accepting and kind. My first week at school I had students and faculty coming up to me, introducing themselves and welcoming me, it was so effortless to make new friends. In the classroom, the class sizes are so small that they feel personal. You can't hide in the back just hoping to slide on by, you're expected to engage yourself in class discussions. This has improved me both as a student and person, raising my test scores and encouraging me to take risks and try new things. Berwick has not only given me an amazing education, but has provided me with life skills that will be with me for the rest of my life. I feel prepared and excited for college, thanks to Berwick.

Posted October 08, 2014
My two children have been at Berwick Academy from the first grade, they are now in fifth and seventh. We feel fortunate to have a school of this caliber in our area. BA promotes a sense of caring and community, provides an arena for children to flourish academically and has the resources to offer multiple extra-curricular activities within the school day. Administration has an open door policy and it has been my experience that they listen and they respond. Faculty are committed and invested and communication lines for parents are always open. The campus is beautifully maintained and welcoming. I wold 100pc recommend BA to prospective families and encourage those exploring their options to come and visit. My children are performing well and most importantly are very happy here and as a parent that makes me very happy!

Posted October 08, 2014
My Daughter has been at Berwick for 5 years. We moved her out of the public school system that she was in (and that i graduated from). She is graduating this year with options, thought processes, and a grounded sense of herself that I do not see in her peer group from the public school system (who she still stays in contact with). Berwick has been great for my kids, so much so that we put our son in last year after he was having issues in school retaining what was taught (5th grade). He was embraced here, has found a real like for engineering, and is exploring that like within a faculty supported after school engineering program. As always you get out of a school what you are willing to put into it! If the kids are lazy and want an easy ride don't send them here- if they want a real education, and the you want your child to come out balanced, focused and ready to engage college and life then this is the perfect school for them.

Posted October 08, 2014
Berwick Academy has provided an amazing eduction for all three of my children. They have all attended BA from Kindergarten on - we now have one child in each division. With an economically diverse student body, broad academic offerings (arts and athletics, included), and incredible teaching - there is something for everyone. It's a great place to let children explore their passions, with encouragment from teachers and students. We couldn't be happier with our decision to send our children to Berwick. A true investment in their futures!

Posted October 08, 2014
I have two children at Berwick Academy and we could not be happier. One of the school's missions is for the students to have balance in their lives, and I think they work very hard at achieving this. The academics are excellent, but not overwhelming to the point that the kids can't do anything else. There are numerous opportunities to pursue individual interests through programs like the Innovation Center, which really allows the child to grow in an area that they are passionate about. I believe that the school gets better with each year that my children attend.

Berwick Academy 4

Posted October 08, 2014
Sending our two children to Berwick Academy was a great decision. They have been challenged academically and have learned the importance of work/activity management. The teachers are dedicated and committed and go above and beyond their roles. I like the size of the school because the staff keeps abreast with everything going on.

Berwick Academy 1

Posted June 17, 2014
I went here for freshman year and it was not a fond experience. Students are rude and stuck up. Very hard to mix in if you dont go from the middle school to high school. Teachers play favorites. School revolves around money and its reputation.

Berwick Academy