Bad
Good

This school is awful. Teachers are terrible, no one seems interested at all. Math has gone way down hill. I used to be In advanced math now I can barley pass the normal math required for my grade. A lot of math teachers are moving away from traditional math and teaching things parents and students don't know. How the school also handles things is not that great. The school gets their nose in stuff that doesn't involve them. They try and help stop fights by making them worse. It's just gone way down hill. The city also wasted a ton of money on the new school. They complain we don't have money yet they buy teachers 70 inch flat screens and put heated floors. We live in Maine. Why do we need heated floors? Most people have boots in the winter. If not that's their fault for wearing proper footwear. I see a lot of kids who say this school is terrible. 9/10 kids would say that they would like to move schools. The principle and vice principles are also very unprepared and lack of much work that is suppose to be done.

Some terrific teachers (social studies and science departments especially) and some very weak programs (math has gone dramatically down hill in recent years). All coursework is now "non-leveled," which means star students and troubled kids sit side by side. Nothing wrong with that theoretically but in practice it lops the top off of high achievers. At this point, most of the city's highest-end kids opt for private school; I know that's where I sent my youngest after a year at SPHS. Great athletics, though! It's terrific to see the girls shine and to watch the (relatively) new hockey program take off with a great coach.

I am a grandmother of one of the students at SPHS, she is an ho[n]or student, and has gone 2 years at this school and loves it. she has excelled in everything. She is in marching band, chorus,track,drama. She moved there from another state and it has been a wonderful experience for her. I am telling her about these reviews and having her write one about her experiences.

If I had known what I was getting into before attending South Portland High School, I would have moved to another school district. The school nearly killed my interest in education entirely. The teachers are apathetic and many seem unhappy to be teaching. Creativity and educational exploration beyond the school's curriculum are discouraged. My attempt to start a Political Awareness club was met with strong resistance by the principal. My fellow SPHS alumni and I joke that it was more like four years of prison than high school - and this is not an uncommon attitude among those that attended the school. My mother claims her biggest parenting mistake was sending her children to SPHS. I would never recommend South Portland High to any student or parent.

As a proud Red Riot, I have to applaud the administration for making student involvement at South Portland leaps and bounds ahead of student involvement at any surrounding schools. There are two students who serve on the school board. There is a Student Judicial Court which has the power to increase or decrease or keep the same the consequences given by the administration to a student accused of wrongdoing. The student government has implemented many programs, like mentoring systems for the underclassmen, a school-wide honor code, and overhaul of the electronics policy. Kudos to the students and staff at SPHS. I'll be sad to leave!

Last modified South Portland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.