Leavitt Area High School

Public | 9-12 | 648 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

Since most of the squeaky wheels I know are the negative ones, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I think Leavitt is a great school. My granddaughter is a Junior. She loves all of her teachers. She doesn't feel there is as much bullying in this school as in some others. She has gotten help when she needed it. Grading is not easy, she finds the AP classes challenging and feels well prepared for college. The arts are honored. The school does put a lot of emphasis on athletics, not my favorite, but grades must come first.

Posted August 9, 2013

tbh the school itself is good (minus a few teachers) but the kids their are so prissy and prejudice. It really ruins the whole thing

Posted December 6, 2011

Some teachers actually care about their students and are interested in teaching their material while others just pass on the work and are there only to collect their paycheck. Leavitt also has very immature terrible students to put up with. The school also focuses mainly on their sports and athletics and often leaves their academics and other clubs behind. Most teachers have no trust for students or lecture them over unnecessary things. Overall it is not a bad school it's just lacking in certain areas.

Posted August 17, 2011

I am going into sophomore year at Leavitt. The teachers and faculty there are absolutely amazing, but the students are ridiculous. I cannot stand them. It is not a great school other than the faculty and building are nice.

Posted January 16, 2009

Administration is wonderful and very supportive as are most of the teachers.

Posted July 1, 2008

Leavitt should spend more time with he kids, some kids struggle because they don't have the attention that they need. If the teachers put more efort into the students needs, they would have improved grades. This is what Leavitt needs to realize if they want ther students to succeed.

Posted February 25, 2008

this school is nice but the teachers do not spend enough one on one time with the students and that is why a lot of kids have a hard time in this school. Blake (fellow student of Leavitt Area High School)

Posted December 2, 2007

As a senior at Leavitt Area High School, I feel that the school may not be perfect, but it is definitely adequate. The school is located in Turner, Maine, so it's not very diverse, but there are still some students from other ethic backgrounds. There are some programs and teachers in the school that could be better, but that is the same case with most other schools. For the most part, the students are smart and competitive, and the education is fair. There are a wide variety of classes available, as well as different phases of them. I have been exposed to other schools systems and find LAHS to be above average.

Posted December 7, 2005

i have a child in Leavitte Area High School. The school can do better with the education it is giving out. I believe that the way they are grading is horrific. I 100% disapprove. My child was always a high honors student with all A's, now down to all D's. I think that they need to do more than just rebuild the school to make it have good quality. The teachers there only seem like they are there to get paid and leave at the end of the day, they have no real interest in the childs education.

Posted November 22, 2005

I have three children in the Turner school system. In my experience, the primary and elementary schools in Turner are supportive and involved. I have some problems with LHS. I have one child that graduated from LHS and another child currently attending LHS. The school really failed me as a parent when they saw a problem with my child but did not involve me until it was too late. As a parent, I needed the schools support by communicating with me. Unfortunately, when I went to a school board meeting, I was not allowed to speak about these concerns there. So, for what it's worth, I'm letting out some steam by writing here. We need to be able to stand up to the superintendent who exhibits such power over our children's lives and has shown such little compassion for the real concerns that need to be addressed for our students.

Posted February 25, 2005

I am senior at Leavitt Area High School. This school is awesoome. We really don't have that many clicks, which makes for an awesome atmosphere. Though our school is not perfect for everyone. I know that our special education programs need to be improved considerably. Also, we are mostly white. Our school has a few hispanics, a couple african americans, a couple asians but, I don't think we would know what to do if we saw someone of an opposite race. We need new ethnic groups here.

Grade level

Critical Reading

The state average for Critical Reading was 49% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 43% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or above

In 2012-2013 Maine used the Maine High School Assessment (MHSA) to test students in grade 11 in critical reading, math, writing and science. The results reported show how well students are mastering state standards, specific skills defined by the state of Maine. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Maine Department of Education

Asian 1% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 31%N/A43%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

21 Matthews Way