Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

I am a retired public school teacher who regularly subs at the schools in Winthrop.

2015 Update. School does a wonderful job. Our bullying incident was handled promptly and firmly. The school has its own principal now. I am a retired 35 year career middle school teacher and regularly sub at the school so I am speaking from a personal first hand experience. Look at this school ratings and be impressed.

Most of the teachers are superb, dedicated, and entirely committed to fostering a learning environment. The administration is awful, rising to the level of negligence. My kids came out with very good academic skills and horrendous behaviors.

Overall, this is a good school that is under tremendous strain from a serious lack of funding from our state government. (The state has not met its funding obligation in over a decade.) There are some bright spots ... the gifted & talented program has remained strong from K-8 despite funding cuts. The school is co-located with the high school so that students can have access to higher levels without many barriers. The special ed program does well. So, I guess those in the opposite ends of the needs spectrum are well served. My concern is about the kids in the "great middle". They may need to advocate for themselves a bit more aggressively than at other schools. Thankfully, this is a small school so that kids will get "face time" with teachers if they ask for it. The arts are still hanging in as viable programs. Science appears to be a strength for this school. There is a tension between athletics and academics as the school funds get more scarce. The biggest issue with this particular school is that it is terrible at communication with parents and the community. It always seems to be an afterthought (or not thought of at all). Probably, my biggest pet peeve!

This school has been the worst experience! My child is bullied almost daily. We have asked for help over and over again....nothing seems to help. The children are mean and the teacher NEVER seem to notice. The principal is split between two schools, and the budget is so bad you have to pay 100.00 for sports, and the arts are lacking. If we had not just bought a house we would leave the area. Very sad for my child.....

we will be moving to this district from tucson, az this summer. my kids are currently a students and honor roll...i really want them to have the discipline as education is number one in my household over anything else. my kids are not social networking kids. no facebook for anyone under 18 in our house. is this school good as far as kids really excelling?

I've put three kids through school and am now watching my grandkids grow and enjoy this school.

i go to school here and feel it is a very good school just like any it has its ups and down. but it treats some people unfairly. Freedom is very important to me and i am strong opionated so i look at both sides. and somethings happen in our school that should not be aloud i am also very political an they forced us to stop talking politics. the presable and teachers treat us like grade schoolers we have to learn BY OURSELFS. some times we need help but other we do not. in some of our classes there talking about becoming a butterfly just say we r growing up i think we will get it. I want to become my one person but sometimes it feels like we are all suppost to be the same.

This school is pretty cool but I felt that there are a few teachers hear that I really like. If you come here be prepared of the Academics. Some of it is pretty hard. Most of the teachers here I don't like. But if you get on their good side they will like you.

Last modified Winthrop Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.