PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted April 18, 2016
Both of my kids have had great experiences so far at NYA! They feel so comfortable around their teachers and get any 1-on-1 attention they need throughout the year. I really love their teachers and am excited for teachers they will have in future grades. Besides great learning in the core academic areas, I'm very impressed by the arts and music program they have. I'm also very impressed by the new Headmaster, Ben Jackson, and am excited to see the school move forward under his leadership. My kids have never once said they didn't want to go to school...hard to beat that!

Posted April 11, 2016
My kids have gone to NYA's Lower School for the past three years. We have been so happy! The attention of the teachers and care they give to each student is amazing. My kids are so excited to go to school and I know that they are challenged, but also loved. I love that they get to do so many things like music, art, gym, movement class, and Spanish. Within their classes, there are just so many interesting projects or hands on learning experiences they get. For example, in first grade, the students dissected a sunflower for the seeds, then designed seed packets to sell to the community. The profits went to a nonprofit called Seeds of Peace. Those kinds of interdisciplinary projects that connect to the real world are so important. We are so happy!

Posted March 29, 2016
NYA is an amazing school and I would not consider sending my daughter anywhere else! The Faculty are so caring, supportive and approachable. The learning experiences that our offered, even at the youngest age, really set the school apart. We are thrilled with everything NYA has to offer.

Posted March 28, 2016
It is without hesitation that I recommend North Yarmouth Academy. At NYA my three have became confident and responsible students. The school is warm, welcoming, challenging and promotes creativity. The teachers are very approachable and, in my experience, have gone out of their way to create a sense of inclusion and belonging. I admire the staff and administrations dedication to character development and both independent and group learning. We love it there!!! And would not consider any other educational option in the area.

North Yarmouth Academy 1

Posted February 16, 2016
There are some truly fantastic teachers at NYA, though a number are no longer there. The campus is beautiful. That is where tue good ends. The good teachers are often held back or let go by an administration more concerned with their jobs and profits than the educating of children. I can share more of my personal opinions, but believe this school is best judged against how many students are leaving. The last count I heard was 15 from the rising sophomore class alone. For a school where 45 kids is considered a large class is illustrative of issues. Further evidence is that two of the students that left were children of board members. Lastly, there have been numerous incidents of late where students (or faculty for that matter) have not been held accountable for violations to the school policies, including bullying and stealing. It is a shame for what used to be a great school. My hope is the current administration will be replaced with those that truly believe in educating children.

Posted May 21, 2015
I spent three years at NYA and it was absolutely wonderful!! The teachers genuinely care about each student so nobody slips through the cracks. Additionally, small class sizes make for an optimist learning environment. All of the students respect each other and everyone gets along which is another huge benefit. Athletically, NYA has a great program. One of the reasons I choose to attend NYA was because of its strong prep hockey team. The rink on campus gave me the ice time I needed to improve and by my senior year I was being scouted by numerous college coaches. Now I'm heading to a top college in the fall as a physics major as well as a varsity athlete. I owe it all to NYA

North Yarmouth Academy 4

Posted May 18, 2015
Academically NYA does a exceptional job with the kids. Unfortunately this is where it ends. The lack of dorms, diversity, auditorium, athletic facilities is very noticeable. The board's vision changes about every three years or so. We we first entered NYA our tour included the plans for a wonderful indoor gym which is very needed. Well that went no where, Next up came the dorms of which many families donated heavy to the school to see this happen. Our head master was adamant about getting this done but the board once again fired him and that plan was discontinued. Athletics are mandatory and at times very much take away from academics. Golf for example, starts at 3 pm and is finished at 7 pm, Kids get home by 8, eat dinner and at about 9 and being exhausted just now study for three hours. Athletics should be optional and only mandatory for one sport a year not three. So yes we absolutely love the academics and the teachers but the role of the board and the steady flow of upper level positions in flux is unacceptable.

Posted February 15, 2015
This is my son's second year at NYA and he's in eighth grade. We had concerns that his writing skills weren't as proficient as needed and after shadowing private schools in metro-Portland, we decided on NYA. BEST decision we've ever made relative to our son's education. The transition has been extraordinary. The faculty, small class size and supportive environment have enabled him to make significant academic progress. What I didn't anticipate was the impact NYA would have on his spirit. I pick up a happy, enthused child EVERY day. He just loves being there. I thought initially the dress code would be a strike issue for him, but he is so much more disciplined in his morning routine, approaches school differently, and has become more independent. I also like that as a parent, I'm kept in the loop; communication from the school is virtually immediate if he misses an assignment, etc. He plays three sports and has always had great coaches. We couldn't be happier and are looking forward to moving up to HS for ninth grade!

Posted October 23, 2014
North Yarmouth Academy. We wouldn't be anywhere else! Our daughter left our local public school in 6th grade after 2 very frustrating years of absolutely no learning and on going teacher bullying. After she shadowed at NYA there was no turning back. Our daughter feels the biggest difference for her is the relationship that she has with her teachers. There is a mutual genuine respect between the students and faculty. She feels like she has a voice. The NYA Middle School prepared her well for the rigor of the Upper School. NYA is a place where kids can be themselves and the school makes it possible for students to step out of their comfort zones and discover new passions and talents. It is a place where it's cool to be smart! As a parent, I love that I am part of a supportive tight-knit community. Faculty and administration are top notch and very accessible. Faculty turnover is rare. Parents can be as involved as they wish to be. A large percentage of the students receive tuition assistance which makes for a very economically diverse community. NYA is a school where kids can shine!

North Yarmouth Academy 1

Posted January 26, 2014
North Yarmouth Academy. I've had three children enrolled in this school over the course of six years. Although ten years ago the academics were strong and the school spirit was good, all of that has changed with the current director. NYA has become aggressively profit driven, putting kids' emotional and academic needs on the back burner. There is no social, emotional, psychological support for teens when they need it. The assumption is that kids in private school will never need social or emotional support. There is a two-tier system, one for families with money to donate to the school and one for everyone else. Students are made to feel their worth every day based on their family's financial circumstances. I am concerned for the future of this school under the current director and administration. NYA has over-reached by opening an elementary school in addition to Middle and High School. There is a high faculty turn over rate, and it does not seem that faculty input is valued. But, what is most concerning is how students are made to feel inferior by the current director's money-driven value system. Academics have taken a second place to image and profit.

North Yarmouth Academy
148 Main St, Yarmouth, ME  04096
Last modified North Yarmouth Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12