York, ME

Posted April 18, 2011
Just want to congratulate the students and staff on another job well done. Once again you scored higher then the state average and many surrounding high schools on the MHA and other assessment tests given to you. This in addition to a 90+% graduation rate. Both my children went through the York school system. They were well prepared for their college courses. My oldest is graduating this May with honors. My youngest is a freshmen in college and has made the Dean's list 1st semester. Thank you goes to the teachers, staff and my kids. We truly do have a gem of a school system here in York.

Posted November 30, 2010
The school consists of basically two types of people, the people who are bound to succeed because of their parents and sucking up, and then you have the smart ones who don't get acknowledged as they should. The schools extracurricular activities are great, yes, but that doesn't reflect the poor quality of the teaching and the ill manner of both teacher and student. The students are not respected, which leads to a strong disliking of the teacher. The teachers only focus on your homework abilities, mostly, and if you need to be moved up, they won't even think about it if you don't hand in homework, which in term, leaves the student unhappy, bored, and miserable. This school could do so much better, and it is very unsatisfactory.

Posted April 11, 2010
The only reason this school doesn't have a 5 star rating is because the people who tend to visit these sites are bitter over their experience. Sure, the school isn't perfect but it by far is one of the best schools in Maine and was recently named one of the best public high schools in the country. I will be graduating in June and I will deeply miss the connections I have made with the school and it's staff. YHS has prepared me extremely well for life after high school and as my senior year comes to a close, I am confident that the YHS faculty is the reason why I am prepared and motivated for the future. The other schools in the area (Traip, Marshwood, Wells etc.) don't even come close to comparing to York.

Posted June 06, 2008
The school is filled with teachers who should have have been fired years ago. What a joke the science department is. The school is a perfect example of why tenure for teachers is a bad idea.

York High School 3

Posted May 07, 2008
There is a lack of promotion of equality between teachers and students, and I feel that as a result, the students tend to simply view the teachers as a nuisance. there are teachers in York high school that are liked more than others. I feel the reason for that is because the teachers who are more commonly accepted have a personal respect and appreciation for the students, which comes through during class. When the students feel respected, understood, and appreciated, rather than simply people whose only purpose is to be given homework to and told to be quiet, York High School would become a closer and thus freer school!

Posted September 24, 2007

York High School 4

Posted March 07, 2007
- a former student
I am a graduate from York High School and I am shocked to read what has been written about my school. My time at YHS was amazing and I have my most favorite memories in the hallways of the school. The teachers were amazing and would bend over backwards for any student. The guidance did push students to attend high colleges, but were also realistic and told the student what to expect. I think the school does have its 'clicks', but so doesn't every school, work place, organization and community. That is a fact of life! The sports at YHS are also amazing and the coaching staff does all it can to help give the players the drive needed to be competitive. I highly recommend YHS for any family moving to the seacoast.

York High School 4

Posted January 23, 2007
- a former student
I graduated York High School in 2003. I felt well-prepared for the outside world, and I know many of my classmates did as well. I have a strong feeling that many will go on to become entrepreneurs and help change the world. Extracurriculars at YHS are certainly extensive. The science programs are strong. I felt that math was the weakest department(based on my personal experience). I found Principal Robert Stevens to be rated well because of his character not by his ability to do anything more spectacular or different than schools A, B, or C.

York High School 0

Posted October 27, 2005
I am offended by the comment that the teachers hate their jobs. I see many teachers go out of their way to help students who need it. The problem I see at the school is a lack of parental involvement. I attended the alcohol awareness last year for the community and it was very poorly attended. There is a drug problem in York, and it is a problem that no one wants to face. YHS does everything it can to educate the students to the dangers of drugs and alcohol, but there is only so much they can do. Students are not at school 24 hours a day.

Posted October 25, 2005
York High School for a student is a gift. The teachers will do anything that they can to help you if you have the desire and motivation. The sports programs are accepting to all students while maintaining a high reputation. The band, theater and choral programs are welcoming and can become very involved. Colleges definitely do recruit students from YHS. The guidance department lets students know that they are there to help them succeed. Teachers convey to the students that they are happy teaching. I do not know any teacher there who is not dedicated to the success of their students. YHS is not clicky although a student may have a hard time if they can not set aside initial judgements and open themselves up to acceptance on all levels. The community is highly involved and supportive. York High School is a rewarding experience for every student.

York High School
1 Robert Stevens Dr, York, ME  03909
Last modified York High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
York High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top