Bad
Good

I just read all of the reviews and was amused by the fact that all but one of you posted reviews (rating notwithstanding) with spelling, grammar, and/or syntax errors. If you would like anyone with even an adequate command of English to take your review seriously, you should take the time to learn how to spell and use words, review and edit your post, and educate yourself regarding what constitutes a complete sentence in English. We're talking about education here. People are complaining that their children aren't doing well. Maybe it's because his or her parents' native language skills don't exceed those of a fourth-grader.

Went through a full four years here. I am now at the high school. Middle school I have to say is the worst EVER!!!! The teachers are horrible and complain about their job and how they don't get paid enough. They don't follow through with rules and are really immature. You can go to any other school in York and it's wonderful but the middle school is just not good

I just moved to york middle school in 7th grade and I think its a good school, I love the schedual and the laptops and the recess, I just don't vary much care for the grading system, which is if you get below a 70 you fail. Besides that, I think its an awesome school.

I go to York Middle School, all I can say is the teachers are awful, with the exception of a very few. I know your probably thinking. 'Well he's just an angry kid.' I assure you it is terrible.

As a former student and now a parent of an 8th grader with learning disabilities, I have to say that I am nothing but thrilled with the school. I feel that communication is great (thanks to e-mail) with all levels of the staff. Their athletic program is excellent and offering a bride array of options. The curriculum can be demanding, but being a previous student; I expect it and made the choice to raise my children in York because of it. With an education from York, Ivy League can eventually be an option that your child can feel well prepared for. I can not say the same for some of the surrounding area schools. I would absolutely recommend York to anyone thinking of moving, its a great community, school district and the saying 'it takes a village to raise a child' is not lost here, but rather embraced.

Reviews on this sight are very inacurate. My two daughters just entered this school, from where we were living in Missouri. They love it! The teachers are all here to help and we keep in contact by email and they are always there to help. There are tons of after school activities. I volunteer at the school and let me just tell you.. Drugs? Wrist-cutting? No they are not problems!! The kids at YMS are very well disciplined, respectful, and get a great education!! Don't send your kids to private school, its just a waste of money, when you can go to YMS for free.

I believe that YMS has done an ok job. Some of the teachers have done a fantastic job, while many have not. Many of the teachers bend over backwards to help, while most just threaten the students aobut there grades and by telling their parents about how awful the student is doing. And, many of the students are very clicky. Not all, but a few. They see themselves as a group, leaving many students out. Says my daughter. I bet with some work, we could make this a safe learning enviroment.

i'm not to impressed with YMS. The principal doesn't think of whats best for the students. The teachers are very harsh with grading. I personally think the school asks for too many things when the things they have are in absoulute perfect condtion!!! YMS isn't a great learning enviorment for the early adolesence.

The new principal has made quite a difference in the quality of communications within the school environment. The parents are as involved as any middle school child will allow. I have been impressed with the support and encouragement children receive at this middle school. There are classes for children who have special challenges, as well as those who excel. There are wonderful extra-curricular activities like sports, theatre and music. Their marching band is quite impressive. If you're looking for a safe, supportive and involved community to raise your children in, then you will be very happy in York, ME.

Unfortunately, the school does a very poor job with the transition from 4th grade to 5th, which is part of the Middle School. Due to this fact, the majority of the kids do not meet their potential in a timely manner. I have been very unhappy with the lack of control the teachers have over the badly behaved children, lack of discipline, combined with mediocre skills in the classroom. I would not recommend this school to anyone who has the option of another choice. My kids both go to private high school, expensive and w're not rich, but it's worth it.

Last modified York Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.