No rating

Beddow Jr/Sr High School

Private | 7-12 | 3 students

Living in Accokeek

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $303,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted August 26, 2013

I am a Grandparent who took my grandson from a failing curriculum in the Atlanta school system and was referred to Beddow by very close friends. I can't say enough good things about the school, all of the things that are necessary for a student to succeed are there. The low student to teacher ratio was a definite plus, for kids like my grandson there is no where to hide in terms of assignment completetion. The teachers are very involved in the entire educational process, not just homework checkers. Over a two year period I watched my grandson go from an underachiever to a serious student demonstrating his real potential as a student and active member of the community. Not only did the school improve his educational stature but also his self esteem by allowing him to recognize what he could achieve giving the proper environment. I owe a debt of gratitude to all the staff and administrators that I personally will never be able to repay. Thanks Beddow for being there Ted Farmer

Posted April 27, 2012

This is mychildren s first year attending the Beddow High School. In the past, they attended Prince Georges County Public Schools. As a parent, I have seen nothing but positive results from the transition. Initially, my children struggled withthe transition. Therefore, the teachers went the extra mile by spending one on one time when needed. The teachers were always nice, respectful, and always allowed my boys to keep their dignity. As a result, they have assisted me with mending my children s education back to health. Additionally, whenI drop my children off at school, I have no worries. The other children at The BeddowSchool are respectful hard working young people who see the value of getting agood education. Consequently, I don t worryabout my children picking up a lot of negativity and bringing it home I feelthat the school is a safe and comfortable environment and excellent place formy children to learn. I could not havemade a better choice.

Posted January 24, 2012

Our son has been a Beddow student since the age of 4 1/2 attending the Fort Washington Montessori campus. After he graduated from the 6th grade we joined The Beddow School in Accokeek. Needless to say, we are still extremely pleased with the school s challenging curriculum and varied electives, its dedicated staff, the diverse student body, and the Head of the school. If you are interested in investing in your children s education, I strongly encourage you to consider The Beddow School. This is an excellent private college preparatory school with an outstanding record of high school graduates earning scholarships to colleges and/or universities. If you and your child are willing to do your part in furthering their education this is the place for them. Come and join us. Helen

Posted January 24, 2011

Our first year, and so far so good; students are very supportive of each other and the environment is very friendly, respectful, takes away any concerns about mean kids; to date, teachers have been great; size has its pluses but also its limitations, overall very satisfied.

Posted June 25, 2010

Small class size Excellent teachers Safe environment Great academics 100% of graduates attend college Drama, Sailing, Music French, Spanish, Latin and German offered

Posted June 7, 2010

Wonderful school that actually values academics. If any ofl the previous negative reviewers knew anything about Montessori education they would better appreciate the founder of this school.

Posted March 5, 2010

If you wan't small class sizes, this is the place to have your child attend. Please be advised that there is a reason that class sizes have remained small in as many years. Beware!!!

Posted February 17, 2010

Great principal and great academic standards as well as overall educational standards!

Posted January 16, 2010

Great school, small class size dedicated teacher

Posted August 29, 2009

If you value good communication between your child's school and yourself, avoid this school. I completely agree with the other reviewer who said the owner of the school 'is not empathetic, sympathetic or supportive of her students.' She often seems downright hostile - not only with some students but also with her teaching staff. If you want to roll the dice and see if your child does well in this particular environment, it may be a good fit. But watch out if there's any mismatch. There will be no support or effort by the school to assist your child, and no effort to keep you in the loop.

Posted November 6, 2008

It's amazing how a few disgruntled, underachievers are able to find the time to write a negative school review on a web site, but are not able able to do their homework. Beddow School is a high quality, college prep school, with a very challenging curriculum. This means students do have to study. The dedicated teachers, do, in fact, make time to help students if students ask for help. If they don't ask, they don't get help. My child has been a student a Beddow for a few years and I feel that students at Beddow High are extremely prepared for college. I am thankful for a quality, college prep school, with a great staff and great students. What more could you ask for?

Posted November 6, 2008

I have attended Beddow School ever since I was 5, when I started at the Montessori school in Fort Washington. Soon I will graduate from Beddow and I feel confident that I will be fully prepared for my studies in college. The school may be small, but the activities, trips, and various challenging honors and AP classes are a plus. We have participated in the Shakespeare Folger Festival, Model U.N. and have a great Red Cross Club. We have journeyed to Mexico, Costa Rica, New York, Philadelphia, the Outer Banks and more. Puerto Rico is on the schedule for Feb. 09. We are all very excited about the new gymnasium! The teachers at Beddow are great.....they do provide extra help when we ask.... dedicate much of their own time to chaperone our trips ....and YES....we do have to study!!! But that's why we are here!!

Posted November 5, 2008

I am a student that is currently attending the Beddow High School. Even though the social environment is limited, this school offers an excellent challange for those who want to learn. The staff is willing to help out but they need to know so that they can dedicate extra time toward helping those who need it. The principal, Mrs. Beddow, who I know as a teacher also, will take the time to understand any issues that the student may have. She is not unapproachable as many believe. She will help to the best of her abilities.

Posted September 1, 2008

I went to the school and it was a terrible environment in that students are not able to develop good social skills. More importantly the teaching staff are neglectful of the students. They all leave at 3:30, it seems as if no teacher is willing to sacrifice outside time to aid students. The prinicipal is as previously mentioned non supportative, and very unsympathetic, not to mention extremely rude, and degrades, students, parents and teachers. I stopped going to the school because my parents realized it was a waste of money, and learned of the attrocities that took place in the school. I strongly suggest you try another school. Going to Beddow School is worth niether the money, nor the heartache of a down trodden child.

Posted April 6, 2008

The academics are challenging and there are opportunities for students to take electives such as ethics, speech and drama. Science offerings have included physics, chemistry, biology, ecology, forensics science and others. Beddow also offers AP classes Small classes, diverse extra curricular activities including soccer, student government, drama club and Red Cross club are positives. This year students visited the Outer Banks and Mexico. The tuition is a bargain considering the class size and the quality staff. Small classes and a safe environment are great, but the social life is more limited than in a larger school and the school does not provide transportation. Overall, I think the school is great..

Posted May 16, 2006

My chil has attended this school since Sept 05. The principal and her staff are far from private school material. She is not empathetic, sympathetic or supportive of the students. The only positive in this school is the small student to teacher ratio. Nevertheless, that is a mute point since the teachers do not help the students anyway and leave the school by 3:30pm when school ends. I suggest you try another school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 6%

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

501 Bryan Point Road