Accokeek, MD
Students enrolled: 1,138

Posted February 10, 2015
My child has been going to this school for 5 years and I have only had one grade mix up. This school is very good and organized. My chid has not been bullied or has had any problems with teachers. This school has a very organized way of teaching. Now that she is in 6th grade the school has been introducing them to new technology. 5 Stars to the Academy!
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 03, 2014
Accokeek Academy is a great npre-K through 8th grade school. My child has been attending the school for the past four years. When we moved to the area, we were hesitant about putting our child in PG County public schools, but Accokeek Academy has been great for our child. It has an excellent full-day talented and gifted program, and the school s music programs are particularly strong. There are lots of good, dedicated teachers. The current principal is great and committed, continuously striving to improve the school; she has been at the school for three years now, and there have been positive changes regarding school communications, organization, and academic rigor. Like with any school, there obviously are some issues, but the school leadership is committed to addressing concerns as they come up. The new elementary building was completed in January 2014, and the middle school is currently under renovation. The new/completely renovated campus is scheduled to be finished by the 2015-2016 school year.
3 people found this helpful

Posted April 28, 2014
Accokeek Academy has a welcoming environment with very welcoming staff and students. I recently visited the school and was very impressed with the level of respect and scholarship exhibited by the middle school students. The interaction was not rehearsed; the students were completely open to learning and anxious to share their knowledge of the world.

Accokeek Academy 3

Posted April 17, 2014
I had the pleasure of visiting this school and I was pleased. The new building structure is awesome. The front office staffer "Simmons" was very kind and welcoming.

Posted August 11, 2013
This school is a joke. The only people that care about the children's education are the Guidence Counselors and the exception of a few other teachers. The leadership starts off good at the beginning of the year but fall off by the Christmas break. This school not only needs a new building but a new staff that actually cares if the children succeed or not. Does the school system not teach vocabulary words anymore, while there giving out meaningless assignment there should be vocabulary words and quizzes for every grade level. Some big changes need to happen or there just setting the kids up for failure. 1 star only because I have too.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 02, 2013
Accokeek was the best school I've ever went to. It had cool teachers, fun activities, and they know how to throw a party,plus they have added some cool classes this 2013-2014 year. I'm in the choir and the whole music part of school is AMAZING! So many talented people! Though it has it's ups and downs. (Like how some people think that one or two of the teachers and administrators are a bit creepy) It's a good school. And no, you don't have to worry about your kids having their hair cut by a rent-a-barber. (It was a one time thing.) And about the fights; If your child stays within the right path like I did and doesn't talk badly about people; they'll be just fine. We don't jump people out of the blue. I've only seen 1 fight this year and about 2 that started to boil before the teachers stopped it. Can't wait to get back there! P.S.:The 7&8 are going to be outside the school due to reno. They'll be put in trailer- like class rooms.

Posted May 26, 2013
Accokeek Academy is a great school. My son has been at this school for 2 years now and he loves it. He can't stop talking about his recent trip to New York, it was a great experience for him. Whenever I had a problem (only had a few minor ones) the administration always worked it out. My son's teachers always challenge him and keep me informed as well. My son is in the 8th grade. I hope the administration at the high school is as effective as they are at Accokeek Academy. I recommend Accokeek Academy to any parent that lives in the area.

Posted February 04, 2013
ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. I WON'T EVEN GIVE ACCOKEEK ACADEMY 1 STAR. THIS SCHOOL HAS NO CONTROL OVER THE STUDENTS . MY CHILD HAS TO GO TO SCHOOL AND HOPE NO ONE BOTHERS HER AND THAT IS NO WAY TO GO ABOUT A SCHOOL DAY. MY CHILD HAIR HAS BEEN CUT , SHE HAS BEEN BEATEN UP AND I AM SICK OF THEM DOING NOTHING TO KEEP INNOCENT KIDS SAFE. WORST SCHOOL IN PG.

Posted July 23, 2012
i've heard about PG County schools but never experienced anything like it. My child attended only 3 qtrs at Accokeek & by the middle of the 3rd qtr I was ready to home school. It's a joke from the administration down. There was only 1 administrator there who seemed to have any sense of what she was doing, but she was a resident principal. The 1st day we went to register my child I thought I was in a zoo. The teachers could care less if your child is failing; they won't even contact you - you'll find out when grades come. The music program is past substandard. Some teachers are just as ghetto as some of the students & 1/2 the time they don't even show up. My child had a substitute in at least 1 of their classes each week. The science fair was a hot mess - it was like being in elementary school. There's no tutoring for kids who need it. The school doesn't partner w/ any college or the community to get the educational or financial assistance needed. W/ the amt of $ folks make in PG County, it's ashame that more $ isn't spent on a better facility and education for their kids in this particular school. I'd close the school if I could but kids in the area need a school to go to. HATE IT!

Accokeek Academy
14400 Berry Road, Accokeek, MD  20607
Last modified Accokeek Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Accokeek Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top