Walter S. Mills - Parole Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 527 students

Posted January 14, 2014

I am a happy mom of two children at Mills Parole and I think it's a great place. The teachers are very caring and want the students to do their best. The new principal and vice principal are great. They seem very caring and interested in the kids. Mr. Walker comes out every morning to help the traffic. Mrs. Meyers is always available and helps the kids. The Mills Parole staff is a great team!

Posted November 18, 2013

While I agree this school could use some work, I don't agree with the assessment of the principal, Mrs. Meyers. She is very engaging and a supporter of the children. She has offered to bring my son to afterschool activities on 2 separate occasions - just because. She attends local sporting events that feature the students, even though her children are adults out of the school system - and I'm not talking about just school related. I am not a fan of the new Vice Principal, however, as he seems to be attempting to prove how tough he is with the students. But with an entirely new leadership team this year I am willing to give them a chance to develop and grow the curriculum and leadership. Now, for those terrible lunches...I have to pack lunch for my children everyday! It is a shame the "hot" lunches are of such poor quality! When I attended public school, in Baltimore no less, we looked forward to hot lunches. When children are well nourished it lends itself to a learning environment and re-energizes the students for the 2nd half of the day. I sat through a lunch period and was just appalled at the slop presented to those children. No wonder my kids wont eat that stuff!

Posted August 29, 2013

I concur with the review from 2011. In fact, things have continued to deteriorate at this school. On the first day of school, Susan Myers, the new principal, stood outside of the school and "glared" at the students and parents as they entered the school. She wasn't engaging at all and this is leadership! I will be moving out of this school district this year and looking forward to moving my kids to a school district where there's true leadership that is interested in fostering a better learning environment.

Posted March 31, 2011

All my children disliked the school strongly and also disliked the uniforms. My thought of majority of the teachers is that they were very un professional. And when my children went to another school they got better grades, learned more, and wasnt influenced badly as they was of here. They thought the lunches werent very tasty and learned very distrubing things that were talked about with friends and written in the poorley sanitized bathrooms. I suggest you dont enroll your child here with all do respect of mills parole.

Posted March 23, 2011

Mills Parole Elementary is a great school it gives kids the education and skills every kid needs great lunches and excellent students.Also the teachers AMAZING they have so much knowlegde you can't find at a regular school if you want your kid to get a good education and have fun during the process also if you want him/her to go to college sign them up for Mills Parole Elementary today!!!!!!!!!!

Posted July 22, 2009

Great school and teacher. I love Mills Parole. I attend this school as well as my two young sons.

Posted May 28, 2008

My daughter has been attending Mills-Parole since pre-k (now a 3rd grader). I love the principle and staff. They give each student their full undivided attention which I love, and it has made my daughter the straight A student that she is today. Kudos to the staff at MILLS-PAROLE ELEMENTARY!

Posted July 27, 2007

I credit Mrs Adam and her great staff of teachers. For helping me to educate my girls with an excellent elementary school education.

Posted March 15, 2006

Both my son's started school at this school. I have to say this is the most engaging, caring, and outstanding group of professionals I have ever met. I can't say enough about Mrs. Adams, the principal, she is just amazing and she, like the rest of her staff, truly care for these children. It may take more effort but the staff will not let your cild fall by the way side. As a parent I couldn't ask for a better environment for my children.

Posted May 24, 2005

I have a second grader who is currently attending this school. I would not dream of moving until he can finnish 5th grade there. The staff that has taught my son have gone above and beyond to make sure that he recieved everything he needed. I can say from the principal all the way down to the cafe staff deserve a raise. Low score or no scores these people care. I know for sure that our parents have to step up and give the academic support at home as much as possible. The reinforcement is paramount in supporting the faculty in educating our children. It is our job as much as it is theirs. O. Johnson

Posted April 26, 2005

I feel the previous review was totally incorrect. This school scored across the board on every single State test. It was below average throughout the entire state average of Maryland. The staff does work hard however the neighborhood is ideal to raise a child in. If you can choose a better living area I highly suggest you do!

Posted February 6, 2004

The administration at Walter S. Mills-Parole Elementary School, 'love their jobs' this is evident in their dealings with parents and students, as well as the staff. The principal maintains an open door policy, feel free to stop in to check for yourself. What you will find is a friendly and devoted staff memebers who love what they do, and are not afraid to tell anyone who inquires. The children are benefiting greatly by attending such a well supported institution. If you do not believe me ask any of the 5 and 6 year olds you may see who not only can read and write complete thoughts by the end of December, can also count to 200 and identify time on the clock. These kids are learning and enjoying themselves in the process. Don't take my word for it, stop by and see for yourself. Sincerely, Ms.T

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

>=95%
Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

>=95%
Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

67 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

66 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

66 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 84%N/A42%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

103 Chinquapin Round Rd