Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Posted July 14, 2016
My oldest two children both graduated from BHS and now my youngest child attends the school. We moved here specifically for this school. We thought we wanted to move to Severna Park, but I'm so glad we didn't. The school is racially diverse, the sports teams and coaches are first rate, and the teachers and administration are responsive. My oldest children both graduated from College and have great jobs. Their experience at BHS certainly contributed to their success in life. There are many opportunities for parents to stay involved at BHS and, sadly, I'll bet the parents that gave negative reviews weren't very involved. I agree that sports are a priority at BHS (as at most AA Co. high schools), but my kids all played sports and we had very positive experiences on and off the fields. The teachers are top-notch, too. Yes, we occasionally had a teacher that wasn't great, but that is a life lesson - you don't always get good bosses or co-workers at a job, but you've got to work with them anyway.

Grateful to: Student

Posted June 02, 2016
My son...I don't have to deal with the school any longer. Need more words to complete this entry

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted June 02, 2016
Teachers assist too much for grit or determination to be developed. No one can be determined to succeed when it has been preordained they will succeed.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 02, 2016
My son has told me stories of racial slurs from students and how you are second class if you are poor.

Broadneck High School 2

Posted June 02, 2016
Our oldest son has just graduated from this institution and I was less than impressed. Notifications for tardies and absences are on time and accurate but when my son had his phone and wallet stolen from him during school we were not notified. Also I was lectured by the staff (as were all parents) concerning my son and underage drinking during sports. A zero tolerance policy...except for the kid who got alcohol poisioning a month earlier at a homecoming party, he was still allowed to participate in winter sports. There are NO ethical standards or accountability at this school.

Posted September 24, 2013
Broadneck is an amazing positive high school. I absolutely love it here, and would never trade high schools. The teachers get to know the students well, and we have an awesome supportive principal. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Broadneck so much. I am sad that I'm graduating. So many positive people, top-notch education, great clubs, music, sports, etc. We have an amazing, welcoming student body and I couldn't ask for more.

Broadneck High School 4

Posted May 26, 2012
As a former student of BHS, I believe that it is an above average high school with some specific drawbacks. If your child is natrually interested in taking advantage of the high school experience (challenging classes, sports, clubs, etc.) the possibilities are endless. However, I like many other students had to deal with some outside issues while in high school which translated into drug use, skipping classes, and low grades. While it is not the school's job to "fix" students, little to nothing was said when students would talk about getting drunk or fighting or skipping class. So many times I'd wander in to school around 11am from the woods and there were no consequences. Its easy to skip classes, its easy to show up high, and its very easy to slip through the cracks at Broadneck. Although, with outside support I believe that Broadneck is a school very capable of helping students succeed, which is why I will be sending my children there.

Posted April 23, 2011
Excellent range of AP classes. Wonderful area to live in. Marching band and music programs are outstanding.

Broadneck High School 2

Posted March 29, 2010
My child is a freshman this year. We moved to the school district several years ago and have been very disappointed in many aspects of the school. However, Magothy River Middle School is even worse! Many of the teachers use completely inappropriate language in the classroom and put the students down all the time. The guidance office is impossible to reach and you have to be very persistant with requests in order to get something addressed. We are very disappointed and agree that the sports teams seem to take first priority in this school district.

Broadneck High School 3

Posted February 23, 2010
My son and I moved here in June from the Kansas City area. I did a lot of research on schools before moving, and chose this school because of the great reviews. There are good and bad things about the school, but overall, I'm not as happy as I'd hoped to be. My son's counselor is completely non-responsive, to the point where I had to practically stage a sit-in to get someone to talk to me. I've learned that there is a high rate of teen suicide and drug use in this school, as well as frequent fights. They have a great selection of classes, and my son seems to like all of his teachers, but the counselor and student body/student leadership leave a lot to be desired.

1265 Green Holly Dr, Annapolis, MD  21409
Last modified Broadneck High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.