PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Other options worth examining. Good luck to the Key children.

The Key School is an amazing school! As an alum and parent of two current students (three next year), I am impressed with the curriculum, the outdoor education, and the engagement of the teachers in their classroom. Children are encouraged to be thoughtful and creative in their learning path. Starting from the First School, nature is included in the curriculum. The Key School is an environment in which students are supportively challenged and grow confident in their academic and social endeavors. I was beyond prepared for college and graduate school thanks to the foundation The Key School provided. Now as a parent, I love seeing my kids thrive in the classroom and feel connected to the teachers, fellow parents, and the whole Key community.

A couple of parents have been appalled at an apparent MICE infestation at the Key School first school. It's an obvious infestation because holes are clearly apparent in the walls as I and other parents have seen. This has been apparently a recurring issue and one not handled properly. Mice can carry potentially dangerous diseases from salmonella to hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. This is unacceptable to have children who are 2-5years old exposed to the dangers of these rodents.

Just wrote this on my FB page and a friend suggested I share it here. I can't even explain how much I love this school, but a peek into our graduation tradition may help. Each and EVERY graduate is honored...one by one, they stand... and a teacher, parent, sibling, advisor, or a fellow student, speaks for them and about them. It is an afternoon of laughter, tears, hugs and poignant memories. Evidence that these kids have already made an impact on the world around them, and a reminder that they have a responsibility to continue to do so as they become a citizen of the global community....in THEIR.OWN.SPECIAL.WAY.  If you are ever looking for a school, I encourage you to just attend Key School graduation. I did. I sat in the back row by myself 8 years ago...Didnt know a soul...but I laughed, I cried....with tears rolling down my face, I knew there was no other place for us. We have never looked back.

Amazing opportunity for students, very liberal arts oriented, music, reading, environmental, cost is high, and worth it! Scholarships available for minorities mostly.

Key School is outstanding and an incredible academic environment where students thrive because they are nurtured at all levels. Key is superior for its rigorous academics, exceptional attention to a student's intellectual and emotional development, and its adventurous outdoor education program. From our experience, it is the best school around.

I chose Key for my daughters because I wanted an environment where learning was an exploration; I wanted my children to absorb information through all of their senses, not just their ears. Having spent 12 years as a student at Key, I can attest for the "hands on" nature of the curriculum throughout all levels. Learning at Key is never passive; students are expected to join in daily discussions, to ask questions, to challenge each other and to learn from not only the teacher but their peers. I also know that while the journey is important, the goal is equally so. The list of college acceptances each year is astounding. More than half of my class at Key applied and was accepted "early decision" to highly selective colleges. My class has now spent more years apart than we did together but we are still fast friends, spread across the globe as lifelong learners. I can't imagine a better place for my children to grow and explore their worlds, and I will forever be indebted to Key for my strong foundation.

In the name of diversity, inclusion and openness Key is like Peyton Place. A lack of role models among the teachers. It's essentially anything goes and you have to accept it. No one is held to a standard of conduct. Contrast that with Severn where strict decorum and high standards are enforced. Teachers take very seriously the "role model" ethos for personal conduct. Key has abdicated this in the name of political correctness. No personal conduct among the teachers, no matter how egregious is challenged. If you are looking for a school that models behavior and takes seriously the idea of role models, look elsewhere. The academics are good, perhaps very good, but character development isn't on the map. Anything goes.

As a graduate of the Key School, I have critique of the institution as a whole. Well into my undergraduate career at a highly competitive liberal arts college, I will preface by saying that Key offered me a foundation that allowed me to find academic success in college. My easy transition was made possible by Key's curriculum and some of the school's incredible teachers. Having said that, I have plenty of complaints about the school's culture. Other than having a tendency to socially shelter its students, I find the school's lack of diversity to be absolutely unacceptable. In addition to having very few students of color in my graduating class, I often noticed the institutional tokenization of students of color, students of queer identities and low-income students. Unfortunately, the homogeny of white, upper-middle class cis-gendered persons is not a reality in the greater world and Key refuses to address these delicate, yet critical issues.

Key School was the defining experience of my young adult life. I am now a professor of Chinese History at Stanford University, recently tenured, and there is not a month that goes by that I do not think back upon my 8 years at Key School with affection, admiration, and pride. In terms of sheer intellectual power, Key School easily rivaled and surpassed my subsequent experience at Johns Hopkins, my Freshman year at which felt familiar if not slow-paced owing to my preparation at Key. It was not until I entered the PhD program at Columbia University that I felt as nurtured and challenged as I had at Key, surrounded not only by compelling faculty but also fellow students hungry to explore and pose questions, day in and day out. If I still lived in Maryland still, I would without question want to send my children to Key. I cannot speak for my fellow alumni, but I can say that their pathways through life have been inspiring (for interest of anonymity I can only outline educational careers): University of Chicago, Brown, Grinnell, Stanford, and the list goes on. Without qualification I can say that I love Key School and would eagerly recommend it to anyone who sought my advice.

Last modified Key School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12