Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 31, 2015
I can gauge how effective the teachers are by how much my son learned over the course of the school year. He loves school and he constantly shows us what he is learning. My husband and I were both impressed. I should note that our son is bright and he would do well at any school.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 31, 2015
My son didn't have a lot of homework in kindergarten. I feel that it was an appropriate amount give his age.

Posted May 31, 2015
This is my son's first year at NAPS and we simply love it there. He was a kindergartner this year and I feel like the school really met his needs. The teachers and principal are very responsive and accommodating in general. I am a teacher and I have been exposed to different schools. Some local schools aren't as academically challenging as they should be. However, I have been impressed with the quality of education there. My son is learning so much at NAPS. I am so glad that we chose to send him there. Not to mention, it's so reasonably priced in comparison to other private schools in the area.

Posted April 29, 2014
NAPS is a nurturing and positive learning environment. Our 3 children have thrived there over the last 6 years. Small classes, caring faculty, overall strong academics, organized systems, wonderful grounds, and a nice community of parents are pros. Cons include limited enrichment in math programs for students who excel in this subject, no instrumental music in curriculum, use of TV watching during indoor recess/aftercare/transition times, and lack of ethnic diversity. Overall, we have been extremely happy at this school and highly recommend it when we have the chance.

Posted February 03, 2014
This is a great little school. My children are in lower elementary (K and 1) and we could not be happier with their social and academic progress. In fact, we are moving to another state soon and we are having a hard time finding anything even remotely comparable in the same price range. We love that the classes are small (12-18 in K-2, even smaller in grades 3-5), 2 classes per grade, and uniforms in addition to an excellent music program, art and Spanish in addition to after school activities. It is an older building and they are bursting at the seams, but the administration is doing a great job keeping the building in good condition. We will be very sad to leave and I have heard that the curriculum is a full year ahead of the public schools on the West Coast and quite a bit ahead of Anne Arundel County Schools as well.

Posted January 23, 2013
My son is in kindergarten and this is our first year. Overall, this is a wonderful & nurturing little school with a caring staff & a small teacher:student ratio. It's also one of the most affordable schools in Annapolis. PROS: Very small classes mean that your kid gets a lot of attention; multiple recesses so the kids are moving around a lot (great for restless boys, especially); good communication between staff and parents; lots of chances for parents to get involved. I disagree with the reviews that said there are no after-school activities--there are many available, but you have to pay more. Before- & after-care are also available. They have mandatory music (chorus), French, and P.E. classes (P.E. teachers are wonderful!) CONS: a lack of ethnic diversity (probably the blondest school I have ever encountered!); curb-side drop-off/pick-up makes it harder to meet other parents (hopefully you have a good room parent who organizes events); French is the only language currently available (they have plans to change this in coming years; supposed to be a secular school, but the kids say grace before meals & participate in a Christian Christmas pageant. Wonderful school, overall!

Posted August 03, 2011
I can't even begin to express how wonderful this school is to our family! The faculty and staff are the most nurturing and loving people to all the children! The only downside is it ends at fifth grade!

Naval Academy Primary School 1

Posted March 23, 2011
We are new arrivals at this school and were very excited to start given many of the previous review. We could not be more disappointed with this school. The "Mayberry" comment is rubbish. This is a school that plays favorites, is unaccepting of new families, employs teachers that don't have teaching degrees and is UNACCREDITED. My children aren't learning anything extraordinary And the way the teachers speak to the students makes my toes curl. In short, look elsewhere!

Posted January 25, 2011
NAPS is a small but close knit community. Our children are so happy here. There are limited musical options, sports, and things of that nature and everything seems to cost extra. However, the location, staff and teachers make up for it ten fold. The Director is open minded to all suggestions; bringing in new excited and well educated teachers and technology have really improved the learning environment. Parents are encouraged to come into the classroom and help with projects, parties, and on field trips. Love this little school.

Posted November 06, 2010
NAPS has been a wonderful place for my children.I have spent a lot of time at the school and I am more and more impressed as the years go on. I would recommend it to anyone who wants their children taught common courteousy and the 3 R's. Absolutely worth the money.

74 Greenbury Point Road, Annapolis, MD  21402
Last modified Naval Academy Primary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
Naval Academy Primary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top