Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

If your teen does not need special education services, can deal with fights, the bad behavior, enroll in the IB, Advanced Placement, PVA or better tech programs, it may be OK. If your child needs special education services, WATCH OUT. Staff members who know my autistic child warned me away. Unfortunately, we could not find a way to avoid placing my son at this school. Special education here is AWFUL. Your kid will be mainstreamed into "co-taught" classes where his/her education is an after thought. Kid having trouble? Don't count on much help from "co-taught" class teachers. If they get "busy" they will simply excuse your LD child from having to complete a project, and give him an A or B. Your child will soon learn that work done by special ed students does not matter to his teacher. SAD. In other co-taught classes, your kid will be staring out the window while the teachers concentrate on the "normal kids," or try to control the others who spend the period acting out. If your teen is well behaved, his rude, cursing classmates will intimidate and frustrate him. You will probably never see your kid bring home a text book, or homework in most classes, and you will wonder what that report card full of As and Bs was all about. If your child needs special technology, FORGET having it available early in the year. MONTHS will go by. Your kid will be left primarily in the hands of untrained , uncertified "aides" who are only required to have a GED or HS diploma. If you ask questions, or challenge how the IEP is being implemented, most of these "special educators" get defensive and start telling you about their qualifications to avoid giving you answers. When a few concerned faculty members warn you away in private, you know you are in the wrong place.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Almost no homework is given, especially for special education. Other students have also informed me that they almost never have it either. The faculty only bothers with it for the IB and AP students. I have never seen my special ed student bring home a text book. EVER.

Develops character: Disagree

These values may be encouraged in the high performing AP and IB students, PVA and advanced tech programs, but not in all of the special education co-taught classes, which are a joke. Your special education student's work gets slapped with an A or a B even if it is incomplete, incorrect, or absolute nonsense. In a pinch, they sometimes do the work for your kid, so you think there is progress. If you know your child, you will not be fooled.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

There are a couple of good teachers, but they are leaving. No one stays for more than a couple of years. This is a low performing school with lousy behavior. They have a lot of things to fix first.

I graduated Annapolis High School ten years ago. I took either honors classes or AP classes and it was an awesome experience. I learned a tremendous amount from the teachers the Math and Spanish departments really stood out. My friends are shocked when I say I learned Spanish just through high school they say well I took Spanish in high school too, how did you learn so much? It is a testament to the school s awesome Spanish teachers at the time. Math was great, I was well prepared entering UMD with what I learned at Annapolis. Annapolis High boasts an IB program which is as intense a program as there is for USA High School academics. My sister went through the program and with her extremely hard work and dedication to education ended up getting enough money in scholarships to pay for her entire schooling. If you work hard and apply yourself here then great things can come to you. On top of the excellent education students can get when they apply themselves, the diversity at Annapolis High is great and showed me the real world . In life you deal with people of all different backgrounds and Annapolis gives you this. I hope to send my kids to this school one day.

This school literally sucks. I moved from a school that teachers care about you and going to school was fun, NOT HERE. In any school students are what make a school, everyday there are atleast 3-5 fights a day, teachers dont care, principal could care less. Its ridiculous!! The ratings should be a -10 out of 10. Dont go here, dont put your kid here, if you do, you have made the BIGGEST mistake of your life.

I Love Annapolis Senior High. The staff is amazing, caring and by far the best teachers my children have ever had. The administration is caring and on top of it all. The IB Program and the PV Magnet make this school extra special but the entire high school is great. I think that the diversity of the community is one of its major strengths. So happy to be a part of this community, my child is triving!

I am currently enrolled in the PVA magnet at Annapolis High and I love it there! I encourage incoming 9th graders who love fine arts to join our sophisticated facility!

My ninth grader is loving AHS. His teachers are very committed and caring, he is challenged academically, and he has plenty of opportunities for clubs, athletics, and other activities. The school holds regular after-school drop in meetings that provide an opportunity for 9th grade parents to touch-base with teachers. The active PTA keeps parents aware of important dates and results of games and student successes. AHS is a great place with excellent staff.

My daughter came to AHS after being in private school from K-8 and we were a little nervous about the transition. She has had a great experience here and loves her school. She loves the diversity of kids, caring teachers and opportunities to participate in a multitude of programs. The staff has a lot on their plate working with such a diverse population but they seem to always strive to provide the additional services needed by some of our kids. We love AHS and try to spread the word to anyone who asks.

Last modified Annapolis High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.