Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

HIllsmere is wonderful school with caring teachers and families who are very involved in the success of the school. All three of my children attended HIllsmere and the younger two were there from K through 5th. The teachers know how to get students involved and interested in the subject matter. Although I hate today's emphasis on standardized tests, all three of my children received advanced scores in reading and math, so the teachers are doing something right! My children benefited from many of the opportunities there, including chess club, running club and 5K run, science club, school dance and publishing company.

My daughter has attended this school for 2 years. We love the staff and she is doing great in her studies. For a family who has moved alot and attended many schools this is are favorite.

we moved over from the eastern shore a year ago and enrolled my daughter into the fifth grade at hillsmere elementary. i cannot say enough about the school. the staff adores the kids and goes out of their way - from the front office staff, school staff and teacher- to make the kids feel cared for and encouraged.

Thanks to the many parent volunteers, Hillsmere Elem offers wonderful events, activities and clubs such as Chess Club, Mightly Milers, Robotics Club, Chessie Book Club, Family Fun Nights, Movie Night, Hillsmere Fun Dance, Band Concerts, etc. Check out their PTA website www.hillsmerepta.org.

THis is a great school. We moved into the area this summer and have had nothing but wonderful experiences at Hillsmere. I have 3 children in the school and the teachers are wonderful. They are all about helping your child be the best they can be. The principal is fantastic! She is caring and is always available to you no matter how busy she is. This is a wonderful school and the surrounding neighborhoods are a great place to live. We couldn't be happier.

The incredibly involved parent community which provides classroom support, leads many student clubs (chess, mighty milers, robotics, nature programs, etc.) and needed funds for technology and other enhancements makes a huge difference at this school. Our excellent principal and dedicated staff are very accessible. Like other county schools, resources are stretched and teachers are doing their best under a heavy load. Advanced learner programs have been cut by the County.

I am a parent of two children attending Hillsmere this year. My youngest just started kindergarten. I love how involved the parents are in the school. It really makes a big difference. However, I am dissatisfied that there aren't more minority teachers in the classrooms other than in special ed. They had several openings for this coming school year and managed to only hire more majority teachers. It's really sad. The secretary, janitorial staff , and the cafeteria help are all minority workers. This is a majority school however 40% of the student population are minority students. Where is their representation in the classroom?

My child completed kindergarten at Hillsmere last year and will be in first grade there next year. We could not have been happier with his teacher. She helped instill real love of learning and we saw great progress in his reading. When he was struggling she was very proactive in making sure he caught up, including involving us in helping him practice at home. The principal is fantastic - very committed to improving the school and very open to input from parents. She knows the kids and their needs - and when my son transferred in mid-year she went the extra mile to make sure he was placed in the classroom that most suited his academic and social/emotional needs. He was previously in highly regarded public school with national reputation in Montgomery Co MD and i have been just as impressed by what I've seen and heard at Hillsmere.

They only teach to the standardize tests. My child has straight A's on report cards yet will have to repeat his current grade next year if I send him to another school next year. I really could go on and on. Some teachers and staff are disrespectful to students. The class sizes are too big. They simply don't have the resources to properly teach or even supervise the children. I don't feel my child is even safe there let alone properly educated. Of coarse there are some very caring teachers there. It is a shame that they have to work in such an inadequate environment.

My child has attended Hillsmere from 1st thru 5th grade. All five years I have been pleased with the teachers and the attention shown to the kids. The school is diverse, a plus, and there are lots of activities (chess club, 24 Club, etc.) and other opportunities for enrichment.

Last modified Hillsmere Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.