Annapolis, MD

Posted April 21, 2012
Thanks to the many parent volunteers, Hillsmere Elem offers wonderful events, activities and clubs such as Chess Club, Mightly Milers, Robotics Club, Chessie Book Club, Family Fun Nights, Movie Night, Hillsmere Fun Dance, Band Concerts, etc. Check out their PTA website www.hillsmerepta.org.

Posted November 07, 2011
THis is a great school. We moved into the area this summer and have had nothing but wonderful experiences at Hillsmere. I have 3 children in the school and the teachers are wonderful. They are all about helping your child be the best they can be. The principal is fantastic! She is caring and is always available to you no matter how busy she is. This is a wonderful school and the surrounding neighborhoods are a great place to live. We couldn't be happier.

Posted October 27, 2011
The incredibly involved parent community which provides classroom support, leads many student clubs (chess, mighty milers, robotics, nature programs, etc.) and needed funds for technology and other enhancements makes a huge difference at this school. Our excellent principal and dedicated staff are very accessible. Like other county schools, resources are stretched and teachers are doing their best under a heavy load. Advanced learner programs have been cut by the County.

Hillsmere Elementary School 3

Posted October 16, 2010
I am a parent of two children attending Hillsmere this year. My youngest just started kindergarten. I love how involved the parents are in the school. It really makes a big difference. However, I am dissatisfied that there aren't more minority teachers in the classrooms other than in special ed. They had several openings for this coming school year and managed to only hire more majority teachers. It's really sad. The secretary, janitorial staff , and the cafeteria help are all minority workers. This is a majority school however 40% of the student population are minority students. Where is their representation in the classroom?

Posted August 05, 2010
My child completed kindergarten at Hillsmere last year and will be in first grade there next year. We could not have been happier with his teacher. She helped instill real love of learning and we saw great progress in his reading. When he was struggling she was very proactive in making sure he caught up, including involving us in helping him practice at home. The principal is fantastic - very committed to improving the school and very open to input from parents. She knows the kids and their needs - and when my son transferred in mid-year she went the extra mile to make sure he was placed in the classroom that most suited his academic and social/emotional needs. He was previously in highly regarded public school with national reputation in Montgomery Co MD and i have been just as impressed by what I've seen and heard at Hillsmere.

Hillsmere Elementary School 1

Posted May 05, 2010
They only teach to the standardize tests. My child has straight A's on report cards yet will have to repeat his current grade next year if I send him to another school next year. I really could go on and on. Some teachers and staff are disrespectful to students. The class sizes are too big. They simply don't have the resources to properly teach or even supervise the children. I don't feel my child is even safe there let alone properly educated. Of coarse there are some very caring teachers there. It is a shame that they have to work in such an inadequate environment.

Posted April 18, 2009
My child has attended Hillsmere from 1st thru 5th grade. All five years I have been pleased with the teachers and the attention shown to the kids. The school is diverse, a plus, and there are lots of activities (chess club, 24 Club, etc.) and other opportunities for enrichment.

Posted April 15, 2009
My child started Kindergarten at Hillsmere this year. It has been a wonderful experience for our entire family. Every teacher I have worked with or talked too has been great and truly care about the success of each child.

Posted February 10, 2009
I think Hillsmere is a great school! The staff is child-centered and friendly.

Posted September 18, 2006
I moved my kids here to this school with hopes that they would receive a better education and have more diversity within their classroom. I have been more than pleased. The staff at Hillsmere are caring and professional and truly show care and respect for our children. I'm glad I made the choice to bring my kids to Hillsmere Elementary School. Go Hornets!

Hillsmere Elementary School
3052 Arundel on the Bay Rd, Annapolis, MD  21403
Last modified Hillsmere Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillsmere Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top