Arnold, MD

Posted January 13, 2012
Our children attend Chesapeake Academy and we are beyond delighted with all the school has to offer. We receive weekly communications from the teacher about current and upcoming classroom activity, frequent updates (with pictures sometimes!) about a given lesson, and are in awe of the way our kids' teachers deliver. We get tons of info in a weekly newsletter from school and have found the PTA to be really committed and generous with supporting events at the school. We love that there is not only a head of school, but a highly qualified academic director working to continually update the curriculum with teachers. Our kids LOVE Spanish, art, music, PE in the full-size gym, and the tight-knit community. Most importantly, the character development and respect displayed by the students here is absolutely genuine and such a huge part of what makes Cheasapeake Academy so special.

Posted April 25, 2011
I feel so blessed to have our two children attending Chesapeake Academy. We were so impressed with the school that my husband and I made the decision to enroll our youngest child in pre-school along with our First Grader. To date, my children's teachers have been exceptional and truly know how to reach each child to bring out their best academically and socially while teaching character and balance. It's a great feeling dropping off our children each morning at Chesapeake Academy!!

Posted April 23, 2011
We have had 2 children attending CA over the last 6 years and have really loved the school. The faculty are enthusiastic, caring, and all around above average to excellent. We had only one teacher in 6 years that I would consider average, and she is no longer teaching at the school. They use a very hands on approach and encourage kids to explore and try new things. The playground is amazing and the parent involvement is great making the relationships between educators and parents very supportive. Teachers are generally very communicative--sending notes and graded work home regularly, providing personalized feedback, and general grade level updates and reminders. The curriculum is rich and engaging and the school uses a lot of special projects and events to tie the thematic units together. The faculty promotes good social skills and addresses any sign of disruptiveness, like teasing or cliques, directly. All in all, we feel that our children have had a wonderful experience and that the investment was worth it.

Posted April 20, 2011
We have had children at Chesapeake Academy for 10 years. That alone is indicative of how wonderful we thing the programs are. Our oldest who graduated 3 years ago thrived in middle school due largely to the solid foundation he was given at Chesapeake. We truly didn't appreciate how well he was prepared for middle school until he got there. In fact we had to pick his middle school carefully as many 6th grade programs would have been merely a repeat of what he had already learned and mastered at Chesapeake. Our youngest is finishing his 3rd year and is coming on strong. He struggled at first but due to the caring and nurturing teachers he has caught up and is now racing ahead. This could never have happened without some pretty fantastic teachers. The principal is fabulous as well. He is a caring and supportive individual whose door is always open to discuss the school and move it forward. If you want your child to gain the solid foundation that is needed to succeed in middle school, high school and beyond then you owe it to your children to send them to Chesapeake. It is a wonderful school.

Posted April 19, 2011
Our three children have had a wonderful experience at CA. I cannot imagine a better group of teachers at any school. The school has a great balance of academic excellence and character development. I think being a elementary only school not directly comnected to an upper school allows the teachers and administration to focus solely on educating young children. CA also seems to prepare children for all types of middle schools, instead of just one. My daughter was accepted to every middle school she applied, including schools in Baltimore. I would guess kids from her 5th grade went to eight or nine different middles schools and they all seem to be doing great. We have been at the school 7 years and could not be happier.

Chesapeake Academy 2

Posted December 20, 2010
This school is simply not worth the money. Check out the many other private and public school options in the area. The communication is poor, some teachers are great and some are sub-par, and we have found that much of school's claims about diversity, individualized learning, and respect are just marketing claims. If you want your kids in an elitist, non-diverse, academically average, expensive school, this is the school for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere. Notice that many of the positive comments about the school were all posted the same week - did someone at a PTA meeting ask parents/grandparents to post positive comments?? Too bad this kind of organization doesn't find its way into the classroom on a regular basis.

Posted September 28, 2010
When my daughter's public school third grade teacher tearfully told me she did not have a challenging curriculum for my daughter (and several others in her class), I knew it was time to check out a private school education. Cheasapeake Academy provided that challenging curriculum and did so in a nurturing environment that champions individuality, excellence and kindness. Both of my children were prepared for an equally challenging Middle School and High School experience at Severn School. And to this day, I have not heard a single unkind word (let alone foul language) from any of their CA peers. CA graduates know they don't need to "go there" to feel confident or succeed. I'm not surprised enrollment at Chesapeake Academy is up this year (despite difficult economic times). It's worth every penny.

Posted September 15, 2010
Chesapeake Academy is the BEST! My husband and I have had all three of our children attend Chesapeake Academy. Our children have received the finest academic education to prepare them for the rigors of middle school and beyond. They have had the privilege to work with caring, nurturing teachers who have provided both extra challenge and extra support, as needed. Chesapeake Academy has reinforced the value of respect, the importance of character, and has inspired excellence which we believe will take our children far in life. We are so thankful to this school for the wonderful, well rounded education it has provided our children.

Posted September 13, 2010
My grandson is a 5th grader at Chesapeake Academy, having started in kindergarten. He loves his school! The school instills core values in addition to delivering a quality elementary education. Our family is thankful to the school for our child's/grandchild's development academically, socially and his respect for others. I've personally observed classrooms and met with members of the administration. The teachers are proficient in their subjects, patient, caring and understanding. The administration is professional and exemplifies the sense of community that they encourage. I reviewed 5 other elementary schools before recommending Chesapeake Academy and I'm confident that I made the right choice.

Posted September 07, 2010
My grandchildren attended Chesapeake Academy. Their experience was extremely positive. They came away with a love of learning, solid academic skills, an appreciation of the arts, and a strong sense of respect for themselves and others. They continued in independent schools, and were extremely well-prepared.

Chesapeake Academy