Ashton-Sandy Spring, MD

Posted October 22, 2014
Mater Amoris is an amazing school. The traditional Montessori curriculum is the center piece of this lovely school especially in regards to the education of the whole child. The parent community is warm and inviting with many opportunities to volunteer. My communication with teachers has been wonderful. The children of Mater Amoris graduate with a deep love of learning, independence, compassion for others and our planet, and strong sense of self. They are also able to advocate for themselves. This school is a treasure on 13 acres in Ashton, Maryland.

Posted September 28, 2014
Fabulous. Wonderful. I love this school. My daughter attended from age 4 through sixth grade. The upper elementary teacher prepared her for a smooth transition into all of the highest academic level classes in her new school. From my point of view, her strong academic skills are secondary to the life lessons and character development that was encouraged by the school. The teachers develop within the students a passion for learning, confidence, independence, and kind and gentle responsiveness to each other. This school is a gem. It doesn't get much better than this!

Posted August 28, 2014
After sending our son to one of the perennial "Best of Howard County" preschools and finding ourselves extremely disappointed, we started exploring our options. We were lucky enough to have this quiet little gem of a school recommended to us by neighbors whose children had attended there years and years ago. I truly cannot say enough good things about this school and the love and education that our son receives there. The primary program, where children ages 2 1/2 to 6 are together in the classroom, has been extraordinary, and the children in the older classes (the school runs through age 12) are a testament to the type of person that the school produces. We feel so very blessed to have stumbled upon this extraordinary school and now have every intention of keeping our son there through age 12.

Mater Amoris School 3

Posted August 21, 2014
I agree w the other review - great school up to age 8 but pull your kid before they start the age 9 - 12 class. It's got long history of parents complaining and being ignored. The teachers in lower EL are terrific & except for 1 teacher who's been there forever and is GREAT, there is a really high turnover rate. No school board - this is both good & bad. Good athletics, if you like field hockey only. If your kid doesn't like it, no other options. Original founder/principal runs the school & is getting older & has outlined no plan for continuing the school (which makes parents nervous about future, but this concern is ignored). The kids are great, the school is great at not tolerating bullying/expecting high standards of character. The parents are cliquish and there is a LOT of gossip but maybe its because its a small school?Montessori stuff is great but stops being Montessori in 9-12 class even though its supposedly AMI Montessori. Great school just don't go there for 4th-5th-6th grades (unless they hire a new teacher, which they probably won't).

Posted June 17, 2014
The school is located in Ashton, Maryland - about 5-7 minutes from Clarksville if you follow Rt 108 toward Montgomery County. It s off of Mink Hollow Road. We are having a great experience there, with wonderful, dedicated teachers and staff, and a very nurturing environment for the children. There are classrooms for 2 to 6 year olds (primary) , then 6 to 9 (lower juniors), and 9 to 12 (upper juniors). The children of different age groups get to know, work with and care for each other. We have been there for two years and have had a great experience with the teachers, administration and the student body. Its a true AMI school - those programs are quite hard to come by, and we are so fortunate to have such a gem of a school so close by. In addition to a great didactic program, it offers beautiful grounds with lots of outdoors time for children, along with a fabulous field hockey program and a very strong music/theater experience. The children that graduate (after 5th grade) know how to think and work independently, cooperate with their piers, and be comfortable in public speaking. Best of all, they continue to love learning! :)

Posted June 09, 2014
I love Mater Amoris. My children have benefited immensely from this beautiful school. The teachers are all so wonderful. I only wish it went up to 8th grade. They are so nurtured from their teachers. It is like my son has a second family. He is in 5th going to 6th grade and I would have to say this teacher is amazing. She has helped so much and has kept me updated. Her years of experience is very reassuring. I love this school and would recommend it to anyone that wants their children to be strong open minded kids. I wish I could have gone as a child.

Mater Amoris School 4

Posted April 05, 2014
Excellent school for pre-K to grade 3 but not recommended for upper elementary (grades 4,5,6). Teacher in this mixed age classroom has been there too long & is no longer excited about kids, or Montessori teaching. She's awkwardly out of touch with kids in the 9-12 age group, shows overt favoritism, dislikes parents, and has weak academics; parents have left in droves because of her (she is dismissive of parents, never acts on their input). The administration is aware of the situation and of the exodus of many great families but does nothing. The school turns out great character-based kids but grades 4,5,6 are a waste. The upper elementary teacher does not follow AMI Montessori curriculum and uses non-Montessori-sanctioned materials to try to prepare kids for traditional school, but fails. They are all poor spellers. All other teachers are great; upper el is academically weak & there have been numerous complaints voiced. Enrollment has been dwindling since we left. MA would be a great school if they fixed this classroom and hired a strong, enthusiastic AMI teacher but from the looks of it, they won't.

Posted October 27, 2013
Mater Amoris is a lovely Montessori School. The community of parents and faculty is warm and caring. My children have been extremely happy and have gained a strong love of learning. We couldn't be happier with our choice.

Posted May 27, 2011
My granddaughters attend this school and they absolutely it!!!!! This school has definitely deepened their love for learning. And the teachers are wonderful- so nurturing, kind, encouraging, and motivating :-)

Mater Amoris School