No rating

Mercy High School

Private | 9-12 | 352 students

Living in Baltimore

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $101,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,010.

Posted February 22, 2013

I'm an alumnae of Mercy, and recently attended an event for Mercy. I was pleased to see that the same caring, thoughtful attitude that first drew me to the school, was still evident. I'm proud to be a Mercy girl and I hope more girls get the opportunity to experience the Mercy Magic!

Posted February 2, 2013

The sense of community is the first thing you sense when you walk through the doors. The students, teachera, and staff all exude pride in their school. The teachers are all willing to help whenever you need it, and the school provides academics which challenge students at every level. The students form a sisterhood, and by the end of freshman year, they are friends with a majority of the students and know the rest. The principal takes time to learn each student's name,cand although the rules may be strict, the girls are still able to discover themselves and their true friends. Many come back throughout the years to visit their teachers, advisers, friends, and little sisters.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 25, 2012

I was so grateful to have had the opportunity to attend Mercy (class of '01). Overall, I had excellent teachers who challenged me to excel and excellently prepared me for college. In college, I was able to receive writing proficiency my first semester because of the lessons I learned at Mercy. The drama department was wonderful, although I wish I had had the chance to perform in the big auditorium instead of the "gymnatorium"! After an upsetting middle school experience, it was a relief to attend a school where I didn't have to deal with bullying or the pressures of adolescent boys.

Posted November 21, 2011

Mercy has been a blessing to our daughter. She feels accepted in this community of girls who accept each other for who she is. There are not the clicques that you will find in some of the other girls schools in the baltimore area, where mean girls reign supreme. We have found none of that at Mercy. My daughter has been able to accel in her studies without the distraction of boys and has been given the values of a Catholic Education. The teachers are caring and love their jobs. My daughter has been able to grow in her talents as well as receive a quality education from teachers who care.

Posted February 4, 2011

Mercy offers a quality education. Your daughter will totally enjoy her experience as a "Mercy Girl"

Posted June 8, 2010

Most teachers I had at Mercy are charismatic around parents but in the classroom become apathetic and are easily frustrated when students need help. The principal is noticeably absent during the school year. I attended Catholic school in Baltimore since first grade. My GPA went from a 3.4 to a 2.1 during my years at Mercy. I did not receive any help. When I did do well on tests, I was accused by a teacher of cheating. My mother continued to send me to Mercy because she thought it would at least be better than public school. After she had several negative experiences herself with teachers, she said she should have chosen a better school for me. Some parents can be too trusting of their child's school because it seems traditionally superior, but many of these parents have never met with teachers or involved themselves in the curriculum. I voluntarily left the school before graduation due to lack of academic progress. I have since graduated from a university with a 3.6 GPA. I have a state job in my chosen career field. I consider myself intelligent, but maybe I was intelligent -before- I went to Mercy.

Posted December 29, 2009

Quality of education is not very hard. An intelligent student can succeed, but has to be extremely self-motivated, and will not be challenged to their full potential. Better all girls Catholic schools in the Baltimore area for only a slightly greater price

Posted March 22, 2008

Quality education and great teachers, 2 daughters and 2 nieces attended,all went to college. One is a lawyer went to Univ of MD law school another with a master's degree in social work from Columbia Univ in NY. Mercy is very diverse socially and academically.

Posted July 6, 2007

Mercy High School , the girls really arent drama unless you start it. 99.9% of the school year u never see teh principal...the assistant prinipal is the one u mainly see. She disiplines . i do belive sumtimes the disciple they go way overboard. 90% of the students hate the school wish they never went ther n by sophmore year...ther not ther becuz they transfered. And then they tell other never to com to this school. education wise i think is good. some teachers mainly new ones students tend to take advantaage of . But they do teach well. But some teachers are hard to learn by all they do is talk.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 12, 2006

The quality of the education program is lower than the other all-female catholic schools in Baltimore, just look at the quality of colleges the graduates attend. Little communication by teachers with the parents. Sports program is not very good compared to other schools.

Posted March 24, 2005

Mercy is a great school that prepares young ladies to achieve is college and society.I came to Mercy from a public school. At first I didn't think I would like it but that all changed. Mercy's faculty is very caring about it's students. They work hard with every student as as individual. Attending Mercy made me feel as if I were part of a big family. There were social groups. The difference between mercy social groups and public school social groups were that no matter what group of peers you thought you were in, everybody was friendly. I had friends in every group. you were not social restricted to one group of friends. Parents are a very important part of mercy. they have a mothers and fathers club that helps creative social events between the students and parents. Mercy has many clubs serveral of them I took part in.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2003

Mercy High School in Baltimore provides not only a great academic education but an exceptional social one as well. Students learn to communicate in an open environment without criticism, giving them the confidence they will need in the work force to accept any criticism as constructive. There are more extracurricular activities than most can count on their hands and feet giving the young women that attend the school ample chance to get themselves involved. My experience at Mercy was a rewarding one, and the lessons I have learned irreversable.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1300 East Northern Parkway