Baltimore, MD

Mount De Sales High School
Develops honesty: Agree

Posted June 08, 2015
I am now a college freshman and I spent 4 years at Mount de Sales. In all, it was a good school. Over 4 years, our class of 110 became sisters and the friends I made there will last a lifetime. There are many beautiful traditions that truly make it a special place. However, there are many aspects of the school that are misrepresented by the admissions staff and several areas that need much improvement. The science and math departments are inadequate, to say the least, if you desire to pursue a career in the sciences. The one phenomenal chemistry teacher I had was basically forced into an early retirement. The AP Chemistry teacher has failed for the past several years to prepare any of her students for the College Board exam, as most barely manage to pass. The AP Biology teacher also had trouble teaching effectively and turned a group of motivated students who loved biology into girls who blew off assignments and dreaded class. The math program is also mediocre- basically, there are maybe two great math teachers in the entire department. When a group of students who did not place into AP Calculus (despite SAT rec) requested a regular or honors level course to prepare them for college, the department head simply claimed that it wasn't that important and that there was nothing she could do. It’s sad to me that many girls who were more than qualified did not gain admission to more selective colleges. Last year the entire guidance department was replaced because they missed college deadlines and fought with the administration. Although the new college counselor is phenomenal, many improvements still need to be made in order to provide each girl with sufficient and essential opportunities. Lastly, although the religion department is strong, many girls have been turned off to the catholic faith as the teachers can be too forceful in their beliefs. If you are not constantly in love with your faith or dare to explore a different religion, the teachers will act as though you are ill-advised and even foolish. Mount de Sales has so much potential to become the foremost academic institution in the state! They are already working to improve the classroom experience by incorporating more technology. However, if your goal is to pursue engineering, physics, computer science or any other subject in that area, you might want to consider looking elsewhere for now.

Mount De Sales High School 3

Posted June 08, 2015
I am now a college freshman and I spent 4 years at Mount de Sales. In all, it was a good school. Over 4 years, our class of 110 became sisters and the friends I made there will last a lifetime. There are many beautiful traditions that truly make it a special place to be. However, there are many aspects of the school that are misrepresented by the admissions staff and several areas that need much improvement. The science and math departments are inadequate, to say the least, if you desire to pursue a career in the sciences. The one phenomenal chemistry teacher I had was basically forced into an early retirement. The AP Chemistry teacher has failed for the past several years to prepare any of her students for the College Board exam, as most barely manage to pass. The AP Biology teacher also had trouble teaching effectively and turned a group of motivated students who loved biology into girls who blew off assignments and dreaded class. The math program is also mediocre- basically, there are two good math teachers in the entire department. When a group of students who did not place into AP Calculus (despite SAT rec) requested a regular or honors level course to prepare them for college, the department head simply claimed that it wasn't that important and that there was nothing she could do. It’s sad to me that many girls who were more than qualified did not gain admission to their top colleges. Last year the entire guidance department was replaced because they missed college deadlines and fought with the administration. Although the new college counselor is phenomenal, many improvements still need to be made in order to provide each girl with sufficient and essential opportunities. Lastly, although the religion department is strong, many girls have been turned off to the catholic faith as the teachers can be too forceful in their beliefs. If you are not constantly in love with your faith or dare to explore a different religion, the teachers will act as though you are ill-advised and even foolish. Mount de Sales has so much potential to become the foremost academic institution in the state! They are already working to improve the classroom experience by incorporating more technology. However, if your goal is to pursue engineering, physics, computer science or any other subject in that area, you might want to consider looking elsewhere for now.

Posted January 05, 2015
This school is fantastic. I have watched my little girl turn into a confident and competent young woman with a life mission.

Posted September 19, 2013
this school was amazing. It teaches you to be a leader and a stronger more independent woman. Was it diverse? LOL no there where only 10 black girls when I went. However, it showed me how to deal with all types of women and people for that matter. This schol is hard but it gets you ready for college. If you honestly find something wrong with that then high school might not be for you. Good luck to you future sailors. " Do you know why we are sailors? Just because we sail off to different places and far away lands, you always come home! "

Posted July 28, 2013
I WOULD recommend Mount de Sales. Mount de Sales is a college preparatory school so of course classes are going to be harder but it's truly worth it. I've learned more at Mount de Sales than at my former public school. At the school I used to attend classes were easy and it wasn't difficult to achieve an A on any test or quiz. Mount de Sales pushes you further in your studies and challenges you along the way. Yes, we might get a lot of homework, but we have extended homerooms and study halls that allow us to do homework in. Usually, I come home with thirty minutes to one hour of written homework which isn't bad at all. We do have groups but everyone gets along and you can talk to anyone without them ignoring you. In religion class, the teachers aren't sexist about girls. The class is bringing us closer to God and teaches us about the role of a woman. The role is to be a mother through parenthood, sisterhood, etc. Not to "be a servant to men" Men and woman are equal in God's eyes. The school does take sports team seriously. A new turf field was put in for the athletes, and many sports banquets are put together to "honor" (Im not sure if that's the right word) all athletes.

Mount De Sales High School 1

Posted July 25, 2013
I would not recommend Mount de Sales to anyone who wants a true high school experience. After my freshmen year, I had two good teachers. Classes are extremely hard, over the top, and I spend 4-5 hours a day and even more on weekends doing homework, on top of sports. I am a big athlete, but the sports here are uncompetitive and the school does not take them seriously. The school itself is falling down, and it is not big enough for the number of students it holds. Unlike others claim, the girls do form clique-like groups, and they do not have a sisterly environment. Unless you have a brother or a close friend who is a boy, there is no way to meet anyone new. In religion class, we learned all about rules of the church, and it drove me away from Catholicism. The teachers are sexist against girls; they only think we are to marry a man, "be their servant" (an actual quote from religion class), and reproduce. If you have a belief that contradicts theirs, you are not allowed to express it. I am definitely planning to transfer out. Not worth the money.

Posted December 20, 2010
I'm currently a freshman at Mount de Sales, and I really like it. My mom attended the school, and so, it was great when I got accepted. There is a lot of diversity at this school and the girls are friendly overall. I also enjoy MdSA's focus on morality and Catholic values. The teachers are all very kind and caring, which encourages the Catholic faith that is so important to the school. We are constantly participating in pro-life activities like March for Life, and through this pro-life attitude, the teachers help to convey the great value of the human person. The sports teams are phenomenal, as are the academics. Mount de Sales offers a wide range of extra-curriculars and clubs. There is always something fun going on at this school, so we never have a dull day. The environment is very nice, and the people are caring, friendly, and helpful. I thoroughly enjoy attending such a fine school.

Posted December 12, 2007
I'm currently a freshman at MDS, and I love it! It is the best school in Maryland if you are looking for a Catholic environment. We have been nominated a top 50 Catholic high school in the nation for 4 years running!

Posted October 16, 2007
I love being a student at Mount de Sales. It's not just a school, it's a family.

Posted January 25, 2006
I graduated from Mount De Sales in 2001. I'm very proud to have went there and know that it has been instrumental in making me the person I am today. Teachers and faculty are attentive, sometimes even tough, but all for good reason. My classmates and I learned the value of discipline and hardwork, earning millions of dollars in scholarships by graduation. Don't get me wrong, everyone there was also kind and approachable. Many of us became very close with the sisters and with teachers. But more than anything, the school gives you faith and values. Even if you aren't catholic, like myself, the basic tenants of Catholicism, especially love and tolerance, are invaluable to ANY developing student. I highly recommend this school, and hope to send my daughters there someday!

Mount De Sales High School
700 Academy Road, Baltimore, MD  21228
Last modified Mount De Sales High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Mount De Sales High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top