Baltimore, MD

Posted January 25, 2014
I was a student at scmoq for the full nine years and graduated in 2011. From the beginning, it created a wretched environment, but at least the curriculum was appropriate in my early years. The bullying was consistently rampant, and not unknown to the teachers, who largely ignored it. The administration did not acknowledge complaints from the parents and was more focused on the length of the girls' skirts than academics. I am aware that cathedral is now under new leadership and have heard that it is improving, but the education I endured has imprinted me with myriad scars that I am only now beginning to overcome. I would never send my child to this school.

School Of The Cathedral Mary Our Queen 4

Posted August 16, 2012
We transferred our child in from another school and found the curriculum to be more challenging. We feel our child will be more prepared as a result for high school. The administration is going through a big transition this year which is much needed. In past years we found the administration a bit unwilling to address properly the shortcomings in staffing and teachers. The new principal is non-secular so it should bring a breath of fresh air while maintaining the Catholic teachings. It's a super school and we are quite pleased with the school.

School Of The Cathedral Mary Our Queen 4

Posted November 16, 2010
My daughter has been at Cathedral since pre-first and will be graduating this year. Cathdral has given her a wonderful foundation, a strong work ethic, a spirit of kindness towards others, and good study skills. The school has some outstanding teachers. The kids take exams very early on ( beginning in 3rd grade) and by the time they graduated they are very accostomed to exam taking and do well on them. The school also does an outstanding job preparing the 8th graders for the high school application process- they write resumes, they bring in a speaker on successful interviewing, and condict mock interviews. I feel sorry for the competition- they don't stand a chance! The negatives of the middle school- the school can be very cliquish & some of the school policies tend to further entrench this tendency. Academically the school is wonderful- but I did find some repetitiion in the teaching. The sports program is poor- but fine if you have a child who isn't really a sports person- but just wants to participate & learn. I also found many of the other parents less than friendly to working moms like myself.

Posted October 05, 2009
The school has dedicated teachers who truly care about our children, mentally, physically and spiritually. In addition, the school raises funds to sponsor sister schools to make sure that other children have the opportunity to quality education.

School Of The Cathedral Mary Our Queen 0

Posted March 01, 2008
It is a Christ centered atmosphere with dedicated staff that academically challenges students for high quality work. The parents are the primary educators and are volunteers in the school.

Posted February 21, 2008
Great curriculum, advanced classes, sound Catholic faith tradition, and a competitive sports program all add up to a truly wonderful Catholic school!

Posted April 30, 2005
Cathedral is one of the greatest Catholic schools in the state. We have been in about five after school programs and all have been great. Sure it might be strict and you have to study hard but it all because this education will bring you into Ivy League Schools. Both my kids are average students and in this school that means all A's and maybe 1 B+. So there! i think I've made my point!

Posted April 21, 2005
All three of my children have attended Cathedral beginning in Kindergarten. The academic programs are challenging yet developmentally appropriate. The faculty and staff are very dedicated and committed to bringing out the best in each child. The administration is open to new ideas and discussion. Parents are encouraged to volunteer regularly, and the Parents Association is strong and very active in raising funds and providing events and activities. One aspect that sets Cathedral apart, besides the strong academic standards, is the love and compassion that is taught and modeled everyday. The children pray everyday, they learn to reach out to the less fortunate, to care for the world around us, and to work for understanding and peace. As a former teacher, I looked closely at the elements that are necessary for the best education: strong leadership, caring and competent staff, strong academics, and a strong Parents Association. That's Cathedral School!

Posted November 01, 2004
I also pulled my child out of the School of the Cathedral at the end of last year. The middle school is extremely weak. It could be truly a great school if it had great leadership but right now I would pass on the school.

Posted May 18, 2004
My daughter attended the Cathedral school for five years. By the time she was in third grade, it became a miserable place. When she transfered schools in 6th grade, I discovered how far behind Cathedral was in academics, arts, and athletics. Weak leadership ruined a sense of community within the school. Catholic values were imposed, not taught. I found my daughter unprepared in math and science. Teachers could not control their classes and did not communicate to students or parents. Parent input was ignored. The lacrosse team was a joke. I admit I was terribly dissapointed with the Cathedral School.

School Of The Cathedral Mary Our Queen
111 Amberly Way, Baltimore, MD  21210
Last modified School Of The Cathedral Mary Our Queen is a Private school that serves grades K-8
School Of The Cathedral Mary Our Queen Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top