K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My first child just completed Kindergarten. We have been very pleased with the community of teachers, parents, and students. It is a welcoming environment with wonderful family participation. We look forward to many great years at Cathedral

Develops character: Disagree

During tenure at this school, my child has had multiple items stolen. Books, legos, clothes, and other items during the after school program. In K-1 he was often bullied by two students at the after school program.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

They teach the same stuff year after year, the same way they always have. Concepts of differentiation are fallacious. Basics of assessment are ignored.

Amount of homework: Agree

Right amount but much of it is really busy work. Efforts could be better directed thus enhancing student learning. They are doing silly things that waste time. Assignments often include computer games - Prodigy - instead of more focused work, Teachers rarely look at homework- students grade it themselves for the most part.

The principal and teachers at this school do not listen to parents, Teachers have their own agenda when it comes to teaching and are unable to address needs of individual students, either those that lag or those that excel. It is a one size fits all education akin to that found in public schools. Parent involvement in the classroom, unless it is raising funds or organizing classroom parties, is really discouraged. Given the quality of students at this school, the test scores should be much, much better. The students and parents are the ones to which the Blue Ribbon is to be attributed.

SCMOQ has a rigorous curriculum, great teachers and a great community of families. Students will be well prepared for the next level.

I was a student at scmoq for the full nine years and graduated in 2011. From the beginning, it created a wretched environment, but at least the curriculum was appropriate in my early years. The bullying was consistently rampant, and not unknown to the teachers, who largely ignored it. The administration did not acknowledge complaints from the parents and was more focused on the length of the girls' skirts than academics. I am aware that cathedral is now under new leadership and have heard that it is improving, but the education I endured has imprinted me with myriad scars that I am only now beginning to overcome. I would never send my child to this school.

We transferred our child in from another school and found the curriculum to be more challenging. We feel our child will be more prepared as a result for high school. The administration is going through a big transition this year which is much needed. In past years we found the administration a bit unwilling to address properly the shortcomings in staffing and teachers. The new principal is non-secular so it should bring a breath of fresh air while maintaining the Catholic teachings. It's a super school and we are quite pleased with the school.

My daughter has been at Cathedral since pre-first and will be graduating this year. Cathdral has given her a wonderful foundation, a strong work ethic, a spirit of kindness towards others, and good study skills. The school has some outstanding teachers. The kids take exams very early on ( beginning in 3rd grade) and by the time they graduated they are very accostomed to exam taking and do well on them. The school also does an outstanding job preparing the 8th graders for the high school application process- they write resumes, they bring in a speaker on successful interviewing, and condict mock interviews. I feel sorry for the competition- they don't stand a chance! The negatives of the middle school- the school can be very cliquish & some of the school policies tend to further entrench this tendency. Academically the school is wonderful- but I did find some repetitiion in the teaching. The sports program is poor- but fine if you have a child who isn't really a sports person- but just wants to participate & learn. I also found many of the other parents less than friendly to working moms like myself.

The school has dedicated teachers who truly care about our children, mentally, physically and spiritually. In addition, the school raises funds to sponsor sister schools to make sure that other children have the opportunity to quality education.

Last modified School Of The Cathedral Mary Our Queen is a Private school that serves grades K-8