No rating

Gilman School

Private | K-12 | 1022 students

Living in Baltimore

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $348,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted May 24, 2014

Great School! The Board of Directors and the Administration of this school knows what it takes to deliver a high quality education with all the bells and whistles. Probably the best non-sectarian Boys School in the State of Maryland.

Posted May 28, 2013

Gilman has it all; academics, fine arts, sports,...and the boys are coached to learn to empathize and appreciate others strengths so they can be content themselves and understand who they are. Academics are first and foresmost. As elsewhere some of the US recruits, don't seem to fit in academically and may suffer self esteem issues as they try to keep up. Johnny Foreman is your key here to help. There is always someone to turn to at Gilman. If your son likes a challenge and drives hard for success, he will certainly find it at Gilman. The next head, Henry Smyth, has enormous potential to be one of the "greats". We are overjoyed with this fine school for our son and belive he is receiving a fantastic education and will become a fine young contributor to society. The leaders at Gilman are consistent and sure. They know boys and how to teach them to be good people. Thank you Gilman for keeping your bar high and trying to give all an opportunity.

Posted September 3, 2012

My youngest child attends Gilman's Middle School, and I can't say enough positive things about this school, the education he's receiving, the quality of the teachers, and the incredible Principal and Staff. There is lots of diversity, and there are tons of "really nice boys and families." I was afraid that this would be a "snobbish school"- it's NOT. This would not be a school I would recommend for children who are not self-motivated- my child is extremely bright (in Honors Classes even at Gilman,) but he works HARD! I worry that he's working TOO hard, but he assures me that he's not, and that he adores school. He and my oldest child, who just graduated from college, and who is preparing to attend medical school, have conversational challenges about what the other knows- and my younger son often knows as much as my oldest! WOW!

Posted March 21, 2012

Amazing faculty, outstanding leadership and vision. Gilman offers a top-notch education with focus on strong character.

Posted October 23, 2011

Gilman is a special place. I am a senior at the school and I truly believe that no other school in the nation comes close to the experience that a student has at Gilman. We are taught to be well rounded individuals, focusing not only on our academics, but also on athletics and helping others. Gilman is the most rigorous school in the area academically and it is also one of the most successful athletically, creating a perfect balance between school and fun. I play for two varsity sports teams and the spirit at the school is such that fans pack the stands for each and every game that we play, cheering us on through victory and defeat but never against the opposing team. That is what sets gilman apart from other schools. The fact that we are taught to cheer for Gilman, and not against others. Gilman teaches us to conduct ourselves with class and always act as if we are representing Gilman in everything that we do. The teachers demand a lot from their students but know that the students demand a lot from their teachers. The teachers will make it known to you if they do not believe that you are trying your best in their class

Posted June 11, 2011

Gilman is the best. Totally dedicated high quality teachers. The boys end up to become the greatest men they can be. Honors codes are strictly enforced. Academics is high priority but they do allow boys of connected families go through even if they do not perform at the level of the majority. We came from another high profile boys school in Baltimore and I have a daughter at a girls school across the street. Overall, Gilman outscore them in all areas. Best in Baltimore for sure.

Posted March 9, 2011

This is an excellent school, but it is rather unfortunate that this school is not a very diverse school, especially the lower school. Children should be exposed to various cultures, races and socio-economic backgrounds because that is the way life is when you enter the workforce. That is not what I noticed on my tour of the school (especially races).

Posted February 1, 2011

My boys entered Gilman at non-traditional entry points (not 6th or 9th) in middle and high school as we moved from another city. Gilman has been fabulous! They both love the school, and the other students were very warm and welcoming. The school made every effort to ensure our boys were situated and happy. There are plenty of breaks in the school day - - perfect for active boys - - plus a very supportive environment for learning and study. Really can't say enough good things about how happy my children are - - and we came from another private school environment so have a basis for comparison.

Posted August 8, 2010

The Best. My sons LOVE Gilman. The school "knows" boys. The boys get plenty of academic time and plenty of recess time, as boys should.

Posted May 17, 2010

GILMAN is the best school in USA.Our son love it.Excellent teachers.Strong principal. Best academic programs. Vitaly Sharshakov

Posted April 30, 2010

Fabulous place in every way. Where boys become men.

Posted April 4, 2010

If you are looking for a school with strong academics, Gilman may be a match. Be cautious though for the focus IS on adcademics and not so much on other aspects. We were disappointed in the lack of character development in the Lower School. We were also surprisingly disappointed in the Lower School staff. The 'Gilman 5' are a great idea, but the LS staff often fail to model the 5 and properly encourage the boys to live by the 5. There is a strong emphasis, in all grades, on Independence. If you want a school which fosters your son to be independent this may be great for you. Parental involvement is NOT encouraged in hands on ways like at other area private schools . The school holds a strong reputation, is academically focused, but doesn't do much as it could for the child as a whole.

Posted December 31, 2009

My son has attended Gilman since 6th grade. We have found the faculty and administration both accessible and eager to give of their time and talent to assist my son with his studies. The curriculum at each grade level has been challenging and has pushed my son to achieve. The school population is diverse in all areas; a wonderful opportunity to learn of different cultures, religions and interests.

Posted November 27, 2007

Gilman is the best school for a boy. It understands boys and helps build them into very polished young me[n] who will be the dutiful son, helpful brother, the loving husband and the leader in the community. It's so easy to recognize a Gilman student. They are confident young men with great character.

Posted November 5, 2005

What a great school and great atmosphere for my son. They teach leadership, education and athletics. Big emphasis on courtesy and manners. Great diversity.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All boys
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5407 Roland Avenue