No rating

The Bryn Mawr School

Private | PK-12 | 813 students

Our school is best known for a rigorous and joyful academic curriculum.

Living in Baltimore

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $348,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted yesterday

My daughter LOVES Bryn Mawr! The teachers are great!! My daughter loves being in class with girls who are excited to come to school everyday. The girls develop very strong friendships and really support one another.

Posted June 19, 2014

Bryn Mawr prepares girls to be confident, smart young women. I was so impressed after meeting the girls attending the Upper School (high school). They have a variety of interests from arts to athletics and community service to politics and go off to some of the most prestigious colleges in the country.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 9, 2014

If you are not a big donor you will have absolutely no contact with Headmistress Maureen Walsh. She never acknowledged me or my daughter in 10 years. The school is a pressure cooker and very competitive. Coupled with its conservatism and fear of challenging authority, it is a soulless, joyless place.

Posted May 16, 2014

BMS plays to a narrow band of student type: a certain range of math/science intellect, and the education in this mode is full and hard- hitting. Teaching is not creative above the lower school; there is almost no extra help for any one who needs it. Prepare to pay for tutors:; small hot classrooms without smartboards. In four years there were no interesting field trips. When my spouse had a bad accident and was hospitalized at length, neither of our daughter's counselors referred to it at any time to her, not did anyone else, until I spoke up again, and a principal managed a comment. A bully really did a number on numerous children one year until she was managed by being accompanied by faculty during lunch. Wow that was a strong gesture. The school cared more about managing the parents of the bullied. The arts were nearly dead in the water those years except for some dazzling dance. This is going back just a few years and BMS and Friends were the academically toughest schools in town. I'm personally not drawn to an institution that weakens so many students.

Posted August 18, 2013

As a student artist, I feel very marginalized. There is a heavy emphasis on science, math, engineering, and technology that I find to be a bit unnecessary considering the strength of our English program and the weakness of our math program in particular. I understand that BMS wants to put strong women into these fields that have been primarily dominated by men, but when I came here, I didn't come to a science and math school, and it's almost become that since I've been in high school here. I feel that there is a bit of judgment towards students who aren't strong in these fields, both among peers and faculty. To be frank, I wish I'd gotten serious about my art sooner because I might have gone somewhere else. I don't doubt the fantastic quality of the education I'm getting, but I wish it came without the expectation that I should go to a top school for engineering or to medical school.

Posted May 28, 2013

There is greatness at BMS and then there is well... the dark side. The amazing faculty expects a lot from their most often very bright students and many will drive towards perfectionism in their fields. Life's challenges ahead will seem like ant hills compared to the mountains faced as young girls at BMS. Academics at BMS appear hard to beat. The stressful atmosphere at BMS, the epidemic mean girl plague and weak community highly damage this school being what it could be. Head of school, Maureen Walsh, desires to be a strong leader but doesn't make high marks in managing the community or driving home anything about character or joy. Do BMS girls wonder if they are good enough? I think so.Do they have confidence? Perhaps some.Do they have character? If they have it naturally. The school may be good for your child and not for a neighbor's. Think on what your child needs to be successful.

Posted January 1, 2013

One of the most over rated private schools. Don't count on the school for any support if your daughter has a problem adjusting or her grades go down. With that much money ($33K+, including other expenses), you would expect to have some support and good communications from the staff. There is none and you better figure out your own daughter's problems and solve it by yourself.

Posted September 29, 2012

This school is weird, i have been here for 10 years and i know alo about it. There is a lot of bulling, a lot of it and pure malice. The girls are stuck u snobbs. There are all about cliques. Everyone juges. Its all about gossip, and how many boys have you kissed from Gilman. Gilman Gilman Gilman, that is everything the boys. The Teachers are very qualified at there work, but not personal problems. They push you to be he best you can, but will not sort out your fight fairly. Teachers do not care about girl fights, they care about acadeics. The Teachers are amazing the girls are not.

Posted May 7, 2012

I guess everyone is bound to have different experiences but we could not be happier with our decision to put our daughter in Bryn Mawr. We came from a private catholic school K-8 with a pretty good reputation. We were concerned about waiting until 8th grade to find an all-girls school and decided to look last year. She is in 4th grade this year and the teachers and administrators have been so warm and have gone out of their way to ensure her transition has gone smoothly. After experiencing classrooms with 32 kids, teachers that were stressed and had to resort to lots of homework to keep up with progress, Bryn Mawr is a joy. My daughter loves the school and the atmosphere is outstanding. Girls are allowed to have fun and be themselves, the campus is just beautiful with a mix of regal house-like structures, storied stone buildings and other buildings that blend into the landscape. I cannot imagine a more conducive environment to foster her intellectual growth and confidence than Bryn Mawr.

Posted December 11, 2011

I went to BMS for ten years. I've noticed that several reviewers said your daughter can get a better education at a public school. LOL. I went to a well-respected public school for two years and it was not Bryn Mawr. Maybe there are better private schools in Baltimore (I wouldn't have any idea about that, not having attended them), but don't doubt that BMS offers something special. At least it did for me. Many of the students in public school are just as intelligent, obviously, or more so, than Bryn Mawr girls, but the experience at Bryn Mawr is better because everyone there wants to learn (there is some basic level of engagement), the sense of tradition and community is fabulous and unusual, each student is taken seriously as a person and a student, the friendships are often intense, the teachers have chosen to work in a place where academics are the focus, the athletics are great, the arts are great, you have an unbelievable selection of classes during junior and senior year because of the partnership with Roland Park and Gilman, and.. yeah. For all I know the Lower School has changed since I was there, but it was magical for me. But I may romanticize this school a little.

Posted June 12, 2011

Bryn Mawr School is a great school and the teachers have helped me when I have had problems. People who say that there a better public schools or county schools out there don't prove their point very well. Public and private schools have different curricula. The education is advanced and the teachers may seem strict because in Bryn Mawr they expect high of their students. If parents have problems and complaints the administration always tries to help solve the problem. Being at Bryn Mawr will help me in my future: job investing money bills, because of the advanced education.

Posted April 6, 2011

There are some well qualified teachers at this school. I hate to say it, but I certainly would NOT recommend this school to anyone. The administration does little to correct seriously disturbing teacher behaviors, such as bullying and grading by subjective means, even though students and parents have presented numerous examples. Our daughter has witnessed inappropriate teacher behavior, as the teachers tend to humiliate students in front of the whole class. At Bryn Mawr, your daughter will learn how to deal with difficult people and this will be a serious distraction from the more important elements of a school experience. The sad thing is that the students don t expect every teacher will be respectful or earn the respect of students. This is far from the school s reputation of years ago. The administration from the top through the lower and middle schools is unresponsive to parents concerns. As a result, problems linger for years and the rigor of the curriculum is irregular. After a lower and middle school experience, we do not intend to enroll during the high school years. Had we known the truth about a Bryn Mawr education we would have chosen another school.

Posted March 10, 2011

All 3 of our Upper School daughters have attended/are currently attending The Bryn Mawr School...and have since Kindergarten. I credit the school with giving them the finely-honed skills needed to become efficient and capable lifelong learners. At Bryn Mawr, it is the process of learning and discovery which are stressed over product. Our college sophomore daughter tells us regularly how well-prepared she is to be successful at school, especially compared to her peers. The single sex environment demands of the girls to strengthen their classroom voices and assume all leadership roles. We are nearing the end of our Bryn Mawr experience and will forever be thankful for the education our girls received on its campus.

Posted January 27, 2011

I am an Upper School student at Bryn Mawr and, as a whole, I am very satisfied with it. I have a close relation with many of my teachers and there are so many different ways for me to get involved. The biggest probem with Bryn Mawr is that everything, from arts to athletics, but most of all, academics, is a competition. Everybody is always comparing art projects and test grades with each other to see who is better. But there are good things to this little flaw, because it makes me thick-skinned and gives me a push to do better. I would recommend Bryn Mawr to any girl who wants to be challenged academically. Having attended classes at both Gilman and RPCS, it is safe to say that the academics and teaching at Bryn Mawr blows both schools out of the water.

Posted December 7, 2010

Bryn Mawr lures in high-income parents with its lovely campus and slick brochures. Parents: Don't be fooled! The quality of education at Bryn Mawr--that is, what goes on in the classroom--is abysmal. Don't take my word for it. Look at the schools that win local math and science competitions such as Math Counts. You won't see Bryn Mawr in the top slots. Indeed, to avoid an embarrassing result, Bryn Mawr often doesn't even compete in such competitions. If you want your daughter to have a rigorous education, send her to one of the many fine public schools in Howard County or Baltimore County. Your daughter will learn much more and it's easier on the pocket book too.

Posted February 7, 2010

Great school! Very academically challenging and beautiful campus and environment!

Posted October 21, 2009

I attended this school for High School. Though the girls can be mean and the teachers rough it was all worth it. It made my skin thick and my mind strong. The education was awesome and will pay off and the Bryn Mawr name commands respect. So, I see some girls hate it but trust me it will all pay off. Just keep your mind to business and your BMS education will take you places.

Posted July 1, 2009

I have gone to this school for 7 years and I absolutely hate it, I have wanted to leave after 3 years of being there....the education is really good but the teachers and other students are definitely the worst part about the school meaning that they all have awful personalities. I have cried so much at that school because of the pressure that it made the education not at all worth it.

Posted May 13, 2009

Bryn Mawr has been very disappointing - especially the lower school. The academics are very poor - teaching is inconsistent across the grade and the curriculum is poorly planned with significant gaps in basic knowledge. The administration is incompetent and unresponsive to parents' issues and the teachers are out of touch. Fortunately, there are so many other better alternative schools for our daughters!!

Posted April 7, 2009

I have been attending Bryn Mawr since the 6th grade, and I find myself wishing I began sooner. Bryn Mawr is a place where young women can learn who they are, while receiving the best academic opportunity possible. People are free to be themselves, and grow comfortable with their surroundings. I would recommend any girl who strives to be the best person she can be to go to Bryn Mawr. It takes a lot of work, and sometimes I wish I could give up and get an easy A at a public school, or easier private school such as RPCS, but I have realized the work is what allows you to be privileged to spend everyday at such a wonderful institution.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 6%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 0% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 0% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 0% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 0% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Chicago
Johns Hopkins University
University of Maryland
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
French
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Maureen E. Walsh
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • All girls
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS
  • NCGS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Independent Study
  • Internships
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • Latin
  • Russian
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • Summer college prep programs
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Amnesty international
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish, French, Arabic

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school