PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

After going back and forth whether or not I should leave a review, I decided it was important enough to share. Bryn Mawr does a great job of presenting how amazing, diverse, and accepting they are of everyone. It's actually quite ironic though. Yes, they are supportive and accepting of difference races, sexualities, and economic status, however, when it comes to diversity of thought, not only is it not supported, it is suppressed, discouraged, and silenced. They are so focused on being open minded, that they're minds are closed. Not only is diversity of thought, and discussion the key to solutions and innovation, but learning how to listen, discuss, and tolerate different ideas than your own, is a key part to being successful as an adult. If you are looking into this school, I urge to take this into consideration. Another conflict that follows very closely with the previous issue, is their disapproval of any learning style other than the "Bryn Mawr inside the box" learning type. If a student has any sort of learning disability, learning difference, or even just thinks/learns outside the box, is neither supported nor accepted. This is not mention the unbelievable pressure put on students by incessant peer competition and lack of teacher support. It is very telling about the school environment when 12 seniors give there convocation about they're time at Sheppard Pratt (eating disorders, depression, anxiety, etc.). After transferring to a public high school from Bryn Mawr, there isn't a day that I regret or even question my decision to leave Bryn Mawr. I am now thriving, I am now happy, I'm now growing into my own person with individuality, and I am now learning how to learn and succeed, which in the end is the goal of school isn't it? The largest takeaway for me, was that I finally learned, after leaving Bryn Mawr, that success is not a destination; it is the distance you travel. Traveling far is difficult when you are beaten down and discouraged with every step you take.

My daughter attended this school. Things were not always easy for her but she thrived with the help of her instructors and advisors. As parents, we need to realize that it is OUR job to raise our children the "right" way. Yes, the schools has a major role to play but it all starts at home, with the school there to back us up and make sure our kids face the consequences of their actions. No school is perfect, Bryn Mawr could use some improvement in all areas but from what I see out there, it is one of the best schools around.

As an alumna, and parent of one daughter in the middle school, I can say that the academics at Bryn Mawr are second to none. I never experienced the bullying mentioned by several posters, nor has my daughter, but I can't say that it hasn't happened - it happens EVERYWHERE sadly. I believe the school is making great strides to keep the behavior at bay, and has advisors, counselors and staff that nip it in the bud if it does start. Bryn Mawr is not the right school for everyone, but for a driven, intelligent girl, who wants to get a top-notch education, there is not a better school around. PS - the people who post about Bryn Mawr and have numerous typos, grammatical errors, etc... have clearly NOT gone to the school. The small class size and extensive writing that is required provide an unparalleled preparation for the rigors of college.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

While I think the term bullying is being overused to almost criminalize behavior that has always been a part of middle and high school years, I do think the school could do more to inform the girls of unacceptable behavior, especially online, and reprimanding those who violate those policies. These policies should be clear and extreme and not ambiguous or subjective, so that there is no room for misunderstanding what true unacceptable bullying is.

Develops character: Disagree

Bryn Mawr could do a lot more in teaching the girls that compassion for others and respect are just as valuable as intellect.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Bryn Mawr teachers are qualified, enthusiastic about their subjects, and available. Clearly in every school you may have a teacher or two that may not be exceptional, but the overwhelming majority of the teachers at Bryn Mawr School are talented and interested in seeing the girls succeed.

Amount of homework: Agree

The school balances homework in the upper school and middle school very well. From building in free periods or study halls in the schedule to scheduling classes every other day, the girls are allotted ample time to complete homework and still get sleep

Bryn Mawr is an academically challenging school that values diversity in its many forms. Not only do they prepare the students to express themselves boldly and respectfully, they also take many many opportunities to teach the girls to learn from differences. The girls are encouraged to take risks and see themselves as leaders. My daughter has grown exponentially from her experiences in the classroom, on stage, on the athletic fields, and in her leadership roles that I don't think would have happened had she gone to a larger school, a co-ed school, or a less challenging school.

I've had some great experiences with Bryn Mawr. However, I think that they could stand to make some changes and work toward taking better care of students and improving campus life overall.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I have had some great teachers at this school who I have truly learned a lot from.

Last modified The Bryn Mawr School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12