Baltimore City College

Public | 9-12

Posted January 11, 2006

I am a member of the class of 2002. I have heard numerous comments on the condition of the once prestigious school. When I was a student we were enforced to rise above what was required. With that in mind, it was mandatory to receive a number of 32 credits in order to receive a BCC certificate. Recently, I was informed that the passing grade for a quarter is now 55. That is totally unexceptable! I was so heartbroken. It seems as if my hard work, while I was there, meant nothing. I personally did not agree with everything the Mr. Wilson did, but he was a person that excepted nothing but your best. He recognized potential in every student and he pushed until we acknowledged what he saw all along. I hope that City can gain its positive reputation. Teachers and administrators need not to lowerd their standards!

Posted December 28, 2005

Yeah, City was a prestigious school but that was in the past. City's standards have fallen quite a bit since the era of which many people speak. Teachers should not have to hold your hand as they continue to do. In my opinion, the almuni are completely in the dark about how the school is being run-they are seeing it as being 'peachy'. There have been no changes since Mr. Wilson has left the school. He may have not been the perfect principal, but he got the job done. The newest administrator has overlooked the terrible conditions in the building. He may have done a few good things, like work slightly on academics, but thats about it. City is failing, and the cure for City's illness is to have an alumni become principal; an alum who cares.

Posted December 14, 2005

In response to the studen's post earlier, as a member of the current graduating class (go '06!), I'm calling them on their bull. With whatever level of education you take at the school, if you're paying attention, you'll learn something. Even in my college-prep electives I've acquired and applied useful information.If a student involves themselves with the International Baccalaureate program, they will become more than knowledgable and proficient in several areas of knowledge. While I do have some personal problems with a teacher or two, that's nothing that should distract from the greatness of this school. If a student wants it, they can recieve the best education in Baltimore City at this school, private or public. Its certainly better than Poly.

Posted November 28, 2005

I am not a parent of a City College Student but an overly satisfied graduate of the noteworthy institution. I am more than proud to have the honor of being a part of the graduating class of 2000. City not only taught me the skills I needed to succeed in the work force but also in life. The schools reputation speaks for itself and inside those walls you will find a great amount of diversity, respect and all you need to be successful. However, keep in mind it is not a place where someone will hold your hand and walk you through. You must take initiative and be willing to challenge yourself. I want to thank City College for the effective four years they offered me and wish the entire City College family much success and happiness! City Forever...

Posted November 24, 2005

I attend City College and I believe it is one of the worst schools in Baltimore City. In my year being there I haven't learned anything yet I had a 90 average. I do not get Classwork or Homework on a regular basis and I know now as much as I knew when I first attended City College. I would recommend that parents wouldn't consider City College a school to send their child to.

Posted November 16, 2005

I'm a sophomore this year at BCC. Though last year was a troubling year for the Castle on the Hill, I'm very happy to report that things are much better for everyone this year. Principal Dawson has really stepped up and has given this school it's direction. He gave the school a sense of pride, something that definately showed at the City Poly Game this last week. Everyone in the school has a newfound faith in City, which not only shows on the football field but I'm predicting that it will also show on the test scores come this May. And it's not only the students that are happy- it's also the teachers. My teachers tell me how much better and more effecient it is to get things done under the new administration. It's time to shout CITY FOREVER from the rooftops again.

Posted September 7, 2005

I am a senior at City and I honestly think that the school's status is slightly declining. I do not think this is attributed to the staff but rather the underclassmen who seem to have no knowledge of how fortunate they are to be in this school. They treat education like a joke. If they mature and get their act together, then City will remain a school and excellence and go on to achieve even greater accomplishments.

Posted July 4, 2005

I am a soon to be junior at City College in September. My time there has been nothing but the best. I love this school! The first thoughts for me on high school was Western, but as soon as I went to open house at City, I had to go there. I am in the band and also run indoor and outdoor track. There are so many activities to choose from and everybody needs to be in at least one. The school's not perfect but it's very close.

Posted May 30, 2005

city is a great school one of the top ten schools in maryland 93 percent of the people who gradute go to college even though city is a good school i decided to go to the school on falls rd poly a blue ribbion school of excellence.

Posted April 15, 2005

I graduated from City in 2004. City has given me the tool to be successful after high school. Not onlt does City have an excellent curriculum but they also have excellent after school activities for students attending City and other local high school and middle schools. I'm glad i decided to go to City instead of the 'other school' on Falls Road. City Forever.

Posted July 23, 2004

Baltimore City College High School has an excellent curriculm. My daughter has learned so much the two years she has been there. She doesn't really like some of the students and maybe even some of the teachers, but I am happy that she attends City. Because not all schools can give here an education like city

Posted May 17, 2004

I graduated from City College in 1995. There is no other school I could have imagined attending and maturing into a responsible adult. They have a great curriculum. As a matter of fact, all three of my siblings graduated from City, also. It's the best school in Baltimore and it has a rich history that spans across generation.I still have City Pride and the school ring is known far and wide(the castle on the hill). City was a launch pad for many great and influential people, such as former of Baltimore, Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke, former governor William D. Schaffer and many more. Please beleive that if you have dreams of a great future, City is the place for those dreams to develop and mold into greatness!

Posted March 15, 2004

City is an exceptional school the mix of prestige, and tradition has provided my children with great opportunities. It is because of this as well as the superior curriculum that other city schools fail to provide that my child is going to one of the nations most esteemed schools.

Posted February 26, 2004

The school consists of excellent teachers which can relate to students on a personal level. Several teachers are graduates of city or they come from the same community. They emphasis the need to become involved in school activities and they stress the need to apply to colleges, with their one on one college advisors.

Posted January 20, 2004

Baltimore City high School has proved to be an excellent investment of time for my daughter.

Posted August 19, 2003

I am a student here at City College High School and though one may already expect me to say something nice about my school just to get people to want to attend, I will not do that. But I will say that City College is the best public school in Baltimore City. City College challenges your mind and allows you to tackle different obstacles everyday. This is school is definitely a cut above the rest and I am very privileged to attend City for my high school career. I am proud of the decision I made, and I hope you will be too. ~Senior, c/o 2004

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

321 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 62%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
  • Library
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Apply now