Baltimore City College

Public | 9-12 | 1315 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 7, 2014

Baltimore City College is ranked in the top 3% of public high schools (Newsweek 2013), top 1% per Greatschools test score rankings for the State of Md.. Top 10% all high schools nationwide (public, private, parochial) as ranked by nationwide college admissions offices. With the only International Baccalaurate public high school program in Baltimore City. With a droppout rate under 2% and matriculation rate of about 98%.. With the USA's #1 high school debate team. Even POTUS gave recognition to one of our graduates, at the Morehouse Univ. graduation speech in 2013. For some reason Greatschools will not acknowledge our achievements? All of this at a school, where almost half of the students are on the school lunch program. This is a five star school.

Posted January 30, 2014

I am a current student at BCC. The school as a whole is excellent with great opportunities. The teachers here push you to do your best and to keep trying to achieve your goals. I wouldn't change it for the world. City Forever !! Class of 2016 :)

Posted September 21, 2013

This school is amazing! They push us academically and help us meet our personal goals. Since going to this school, I've improved academically and have become more responsible. City forever!

Posted July 20, 2012

I'm a current student at BCC and I think this school is absolutely wonderful and challenging. I recommend anyone that is up to be academically challenged. The IB program is very unique and also very challenging. All through its not that diverse its still a great school with the teachers support and a friendly environment. This school is the BEST and I'm glad I chose to go here. :))

Posted July 17, 2012

I feel like this school is being underrated and should be treated with more respect, besides Poly or Eastern. This is school is a Maryland Landmark.

Posted May 28, 2012

Next weekend our third child will graduate from City. My oldest son started there in 2004 (their class of 2008) and just graduated from the College of William & Mary. Each of our children have very different learning styles, temperaments, and interests, and the school work for each of them. The extracurriculars are excellent, the teaching quality very good, the IB program very challenging, and the current administrative leadership excellent. We do not feel that we compromised our children's education because we chose a Baltimore City public school. Quite the contrary, we feel their attendance here helped better prepare them for college and living in a multicultural society. It hasn't been a completely care-free 8 years there. There was a major problem with the former principal, but throughout all the years, the faculty commitment to educating each child remained. The school is physically imposing & beautiful on the outside, but suffers from the lack of public resources it deserves. The place feels very much like a family and the students seem to really connect with each other. I highly recommend this high school as an excellent choice for any family.

Posted July 17, 2011

City continues to maintain a consistent school providing a quality academic foundation. As a 1959 graduate and the father of a 1995 graduate I noted a consistency in City's academic foundation. I was also a middle school chess coach and noted City had many excellent players on its team. This gave me insight into the minds of many of its players.

Posted June 17, 2011

As in regards to schools for baltimore city...you have to fill out a school of choice form for your child number 1 to 5 in order of choice. My suggestion is to contact the student placement office on north avenue because the deadline for those forms has passed but if your new to baltimore city schools it probably won't apply to you

Posted November 25, 2009

simpy amazing, my son who is now in the 11th grade has gone through a wonderful stage going to city. he is very happy, and feels privelage to go to city.

Posted September 20, 2009

I have one child who graduated from City one year ago and was accepted at several colleges and is now a full time college student and one child who will graduate next year, academically City is an excellent school, and I feel my children are and have been prepared for college. It appears though as if the Principal and staff are a little too lenient in regards to dress code and enforcing school policies and this is a recent and unfortunate change, I dont know if its City or the overall Baltimore City school administration but I hope that City will not allow their standards to be lowered because I we have too many positives, concerned and active parents and committed students to let that happen. Im still proud my kids attend and attended City, its still a good school. City Forever

Posted September 3, 2009

I'm in my senior year at city. Over the past four years I've seen the school slowly decline. Administration isn't as strict as it needs to be. There are students here who don't deserve to be. But even at that this is still one of te best places in the city to get an education.I hate to admit this but Poly is the better school. But City holds it own against most schools. I'm proud to be a city knight.

Posted June 10, 2009

i am a current student at baltimore city college and it is a good school but there are so many things wrong that the administration does not know about or if they do they dont pay any attention to. The principal has his priorities mixed up he has places two plasma televisions inside of the lunch room. how can we afford to place televisions inside of the luch room when we do not have textbooks for every class that they are needed in and if we do have textbooks they are not up to date. I just do not understand how the staff can care more about the appearance of the school then the education of the students. The truth is that when most of the staff and administration stop caring so do the students!!!!

Posted June 5, 2009

The sad thing is that Baltimore City College HS should be the best in the city. When I see schools like Poly and Eastern Tech being rated higher, it bothers me. I am an alumni of BCC and received one of the best enducations one can get in a public school system. Why have our rating fallen? It, of course, starts with leadership. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that the principal and administrative staff must take charge, dictate policy (be committed to those policies) and maintain discipline at all times. City has always had a rich tradition and strong academics. I love City and it is a great school that needs to bring its standards up to where they use to be (and belong).

Posted February 5, 2009

This could be a great school if it did not have staff that pretends to be elite. They sometimes have an arrogance about them that is not necessary. Some of the teachers will not return calls or emails. God forbid if you speak up about something that you disagree with.

Posted January 29, 2009

Good, caring teachers; some of them excellent. Warm atmosphere. Terrific parents. The kids are from across the spectrum and my son is comfortable in the school - even as a Freshman.

Posted December 2, 2008

One of the previous posters commented that the students are out of control. This can be said for students in just about any ublic school in any major city across the US. City College is among the elite in Baltimore City. I am proud of the strides that they have made in recent years. I am especially proud of the IB curriculim no longer being a choice but the standard. This school offers accademics, theater, music and so much more to stimulate students. I also love the updates that come by way of telephone. My children have unfortunately gotten used to substandard education in Baltimore City so they are being challenged by the standards at Baltimore City College. I know that they are in deed up to the challenge. It is now up to them to figure it out.

Posted December 1, 2008

I transferred my son from Samuel Banks to Baltimore City College high. I am very pleased at the curriculum and the programs offered at the school. My son is excited about his new school and brags about the different sports program the school offers. The school is one of the best in the city. I'm glad he's a student.

Posted June 25, 2008

I am a graduate of the class of 2007, and i have to say that going to this school is a much better choice then any zone school. No matter what anybody says it's always good to go city wide school rather than going to a easy crappy zone school. Since it is a citywide school you will meet a great assortment of students acroos the city there is more diversity since it is a citywide school, instead of having all african american students, the amount of people there with that diversity gives a college like feel without the tuition and the dorms. Thing is you'll realize i like i did if you plan to do enginneering or computer related stuff afterwards you'd be better going to poly instead, there is a lot of tech classes i should had had to prepare for college.

Posted February 20, 2008

Looking back on my experience at City, I would say that yes there were, and still are, great programs offered. The IB program is amazing, but other than that city's classes are filled with out-of-control students. There are serious disciplinary issues. I feel as though the majority or the students that attend City don't realize what there being offered and don't take the chance or effort to be part of the IB classes. There are many kids that go to school at City that gamble, play dice, in the halls during class, skip class during other lunch periods and many of them ditch class to smoke pot. There are a handful of amazing teachers present at City but then again there are many that don't know what their teaching. I would consider City to be a high-end public school in the City of baltimore.

Posted October 28, 2007

Speaking as an alum,I love City, it is a great school. It prepared me for and got me accepted and many of my class accepted into some of the best colleges in the country. HOWEVER City's status is declining partially because of the students and partially because of the Dawson administration. First and foremost requiring all freshman to enter the IB Program is a serious mistake! I was in the IB Program and received the IB Diploma. It is extremely challenging and it is NOT FOR EVERYONE. The IB standard should only self selected! It requires more than anything immense dedication and that is why it is optional. Forcing students to enter a program that they are not willing to put that EXTREME effort towards is setting the students up for failure! Instead, increase the college prep standard, 60 should not count as passing!
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

321 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian 1% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 59%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
  • Library
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Apply now