Baltimore City College

Public | 9-12

Posted October 14, 2007

I graduated from City in 2004. City was an excellent school despite what others say. Yes they might have worked us hard and gave a lot of homework, but it prepared us for the future. Now I here the passing grade is 55 that is ridiculous. I wish Mr.Wilson was still there even though I didn't agree with a lot of stuff he did. He made us thrive towards excellence and that is exactly what I did. It made a lot of us better people who wanted to work hard to get good grades. Mr. Dawson is allowing these students to do the minimum instead of doing their best.

Posted July 31, 2007

This school offers a private school education in a oublic school. The teachers are concerned and prepare them for higher education

Posted July 30, 2007

I graduated 2005. My experience at city was truly remarkable. As a freshman, the school was ran by Mr.J.Wilson. A lot of student didn't agree with his method of order instilling discipline into his students. Only until he left did we recognize the importance he had in our academic success. Mr Dawson took the place of Mr.Wilson and the difference were definitely noticed. Students were required to wear a student ID card at all times and guys had to tuck in all tee-shirts. Wow, I was really blown away the students were being treated like inmates. The students that were excepted into City college were supposed to be the best...and to be treated like this made it seem like they didn't trust who they were letting into the school.I would like to personally thank Mr. Wilson for his support.

Posted July 13, 2007

I am an alumnus of Baltimore City College (class of 2006) and I must say that City is not a bad school...it just has some problems. There are problems within the school, but what school doesn't have problems? The only reason why City College gets so much attention is because it is one of the oldest high schools in the country and it is known for its excellence. Overall, my experience was good there...not great, but better than what I would have at any other Baltimore City Public School.

Posted July 1, 2007

I am going to be a freshman at City for the 2007-2008 school year and I hope and I think it will be a very good high school choice for me my mother is excited as well because she feels it is a well rounded high school. I am very excited and I cannot wait! ~Kadidra W.

Posted June 22, 2007

After all the good news, I heard about City, I was shocked when I saw the interior/exterior of this school. It's dilapidated and although the staff cleans and paints, our excellent performing children deserves better. When I took my son to orientation, my vehicle was damaged in the parking lot due to the pot holes. I came back for his first day and literally almost passed out due to the heat in the building. Some great things about the school are: staff/instructors truly care, football team. Not so great things: Building, Lack of communication regarding non-fundraising events from administration. i.e. In English class your child will need books that you are responsible for getting (a list should be given out of all materials needed at the beginning of the year [Not to be confused with the summer reading list.) A better class emergency plan for inclement weather should be worked out.

Posted June 7, 2007

City College is an outstanding school. The best in the Baltimore Area
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 6, 2007

I have a child who attends City College and I have found Mr. Dawson and his staff to be outstanding. They are raising the academic and discipline standards at the school. They are requiring that all incoming freshmen enter the IB Program. This is a great move for the school. Prior to Mr. Dawson, the school was in a state of unrest. I applaud him and his staff for turning the school around.

Posted June 6, 2007

Another recent grad extremely upset with the current administration or the lack thereof. Great school but no leadership or vision.

Posted January 4, 2007

Baltimore City College is a pretty amazing school. It has great academics, good sports, good clubs and a pretty good student body. It did have a good schedule, but Mr. Dawson got rid of that.

Posted October 17, 2006

This current year is my junior year at City College and I absolutely adore it. We couldn't have a finer teacher staff and administration. Mr. Dawson has worked extremely hard trying to do things for this school. He really does have a heart for City. It's amazing to me how we have the International Baccalaureate curriculum (which I'm in and it's excellent). There are so many opportunities there; the choir, the sports, the theatre, the debate team . . . etc. However, this year they implemented a new 50-minute class period schedule that is inadequate. This is something I do not agree on. We used to have 90- minute periods where there was enough time to get everything done. Now it feels like we rush and cram everything in; leaving the day to feel unaccomplished. Eventually, this will work out though. City Forever!

Posted September 29, 2006

Mr.Dawson has done nothing but good to the school.

Posted September 2, 2006

I am a proud graduate of Baltimore City College High c/o 2002, and I read a few of the reviews of my dear alma mater and I was a little disappointed because some of you do not realize what City does for public schools. City stands out from other public schools because it provides a good education to good students...for free. To those of you who disagree, please remember that, nothing that mans' hands touch will be perfect but City is very close. Fellow alumni and current students, yes City is fun at times but, the bigger and brighter picture is that City is better than other schools because it provides a quality college prep education. To you old haters who say, 'It's not what it used to be,' well of course not because it's gotten 90% better and why don't you handle the rest. Class of 2007 Morgan State University

Posted June 21, 2006

I graduated from City in 2005 and this school really prepaid me for college. My freshman year was a breeze.

Posted March 25, 2006

City college has a major problem. The problem is that the majority of the students are blind to the various situtions around the building. All they care about is how 'fun' a teacher is. School can be fun but you are supposed to learn in the process. Yeah, many will say that you will have 'the time of your life here' which is true. You can ask anyone in the city if they feel the same about that schools and they will agree with that statement. The students don't realize that they are being cheated out of their education since they don't care. When students quit caring then we have the problems we have know.

Posted March 9, 2006

City is so much fun. My best friends go here and something new or exciting is always happening. The teachers are also really great. Like, Ms.Kriwald and Miss Bury, they are so funny. I don't want to graduate but I will in 2008. By the way '08' is the best class that's ever been are city. We have the most school sprit and everything. And I'm an active member of the band. Right now, I play trumpet but I want to be a majorette next year.The only problem we have is our new principle. He things he's doing good for the school but he's kind of messign us up.

Posted March 2, 2006

I am a senior at City, and I have had the time of my life at this school. Someone once told me that once you get out of your freshmen year, that time was going to fly by, and it did. I became involved with our varstiy football team as their manager, and I loved it. There is no other place to be other than attend City. I have worked with many different teachers of all cultures, students as well. I am so proud of my fellow classmates. Congratulations to the class of 2006!

Posted February 8, 2006

My daugther is a freshman at City, and we both know she made the right choice. The curriculum and the extra curricular activities are great. Some say City may not be what it used to be, but now is the time to strive to get that back. My youngest daughter is looking forward to attending City, c/o 2011. And I am looking forward to being a proud parent of 2 City College graduates! City Forever

Posted February 1, 2006

Baltimore city college is off the chain with it's education,activities, and conduct.City may not be like it use to, but we are still on top. Especially, city,state, and national wise.I am a sophomore right now but I plan on graduating from City in '08' with several scholarships.I know that this will happen becasue my excellent teachers are preparing for it. 'City Forever!' -Beneka

Posted January 29, 2006

I am a senior at Baltimore City College and I will agree with many when they say that this is a great school. City College has expectations of all its students. Many of the students take those challenges and rise to the occasion. There are a lot of underclassmen who have come into the school and decided that there were going to play. They are no longer at City College. My school is a part of my family's legacy. There are three generations that have attended. Mr. Dawson is a wonderful principal and he is really helping to make sure that years from now City College is that great 'Castle on the Hill'. I love my school and so do a lot of other fols. And no 55 is not an acceptable passing grade. You have to have 70 to pass but many students exceed the minimum. Congratulations 06. City Forever!

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

321 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 62%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
  • Library
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Apply now