Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I have removed my son and next year my daughter will be removed. My son is now on the honor roll and has landed a job in computer technology. My daughter was left for an hour in he office and no one called home to inform my the daycare had left her. My children are very well mannered and quiet..but they treat every hold as if they are just bad. I've had two terrible experiences. We aren't from the area but someone recommended the school and I am very disappointed this was the school I choose to help teach my children. The front desk staff is always rude and in a rush to push you away. I can count on my hand the staff I actually see helping the children. The lunch stuff is always kind to my daughter. I wouldn't recommend sending your child here unless you always want to staff on top of the school about things that should be done the proper way with your child.

Amount of homework: Neutral

Kind of a lot of homework... I like Baltimore County's homework policy much more.

The administration staff genuinely care about the children and will go above and beyond to see the students succeed. I am highly impressed!

The staff is always available to help you. They keep you inform of your child's progress. If your child is having a problem with class work or isn't feeling well the staff is on top of it.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

From what I see any hear i think the teachers are effective with the students. When I look at my grand children's work it let me know that they are on target or even above there grade level.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework for me is important because it gives the children extra time to review and practice more what they have learned. This way it will always be fresh in there minds.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school put the kids concerns first. Academics are very important but while giving them all of those things I find they also deal with each child's social and communications skills. If I had to rate Barclay I would give them a 99.9.

My son just graduaded from Barclay and since first grade we were treated like family. All the teachers and staff had a real interest in his improvement and well being. We came from another country and Barclay was one of the schools with an ESL program, taught by Mr Alex, who made my son's transition to English very easy. They have a free after school program, organized by Child First, that enriched his school experience greatly. Now with the 29th Street Community Center attached to the building they have even more options, like Robotics and violin lessons. The teachers sent me e-mails and phone calls about my sons progress in class, and i've never seen such dedication. Because of all that, my son is going to Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and i couldn't be more grateful !

I am very impressed with the school and my daughters teacher, Ms. Mundie. She tells me whenever anything is going on with my daughter, and works hard to make sure that she is learning not just at school but also at home. They get recess every day, and have art and computer class ever week as well. The classroom feels so friendly and the kids are all very well behaved (for 4 year olds). My daughter loves her school and her class, and I do too!

In my time at Barclay, I have witnessed an incredibly strong sense of community at the school. Teachers, staff, and community members recognize the importance of coming together to support the students here, and that manifests itself in a variety of forms. Barclay's excellent after school programs (everything from cooking, theatre & dance, to art and gardening) offer extra support to students. This school also provides free vision and dental screenings to students every year, and operates a food pantry for any families who volunteer at the school or need a little extra help. With a new PBL curriculum, students are also being challenged in new ways, and learning valuable hands-on lessons that are integrated and aligned with the mandated curriculum. This provides students with an opportunity to learn in a more creative way, and also helpes them to retain this information. Overall, Barclay is a true Community School that provides an enriching and nurturing environment for all students and families, and anyone who comes to visit will realize how close-knit this community is.

Last modified Barclay Elementary/Middle School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.