Baltimore, MD

Posted June 10, 2014
My son just graduaded from Barclay and since first grade we were treated like family. All the teachers and staff had a real interest in his improvement and well being. We came from another country and Barclay was one of the schools with an ESL program, taught by Mr Alex, who made my son's transition to English very easy. They have a free after school program, organized by Child First, that enriched his school experience greatly. Now with the 29th Street Community Center attached to the building they have even more options, like Robotics and violin lessons. The teachers sent me e-mails and phone calls about my sons progress in class, and i've never seen such dedication. Because of all that, my son is going to Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and i couldn't be more grateful !

Posted January 03, 2012
I am very impressed with the school and my daughters teacher, Ms. Mundie. She tells me whenever anything is going on with my daughter, and works hard to make sure that she is learning not just at school but also at home. They get recess every day, and have art and computer class ever week as well. The classroom feels so friendly and the kids are all very well behaved (for 4 year olds). My daughter loves her school and her class, and I do too!

Posted June 23, 2011
In my time at Barclay, I have witnessed an incredibly strong sense of community at the school. Teachers, staff, and community members recognize the importance of coming together to support the students here, and that manifests itself in a variety of forms. Barclay's excellent after school programs (everything from cooking, theatre & dance, to art and gardening) offer extra support to students. This school also provides free vision and dental screenings to students every year, and operates a food pantry for any families who volunteer at the school or need a little extra help. With a new PBL curriculum, students are also being challenged in new ways, and learning valuable hands-on lessons that are integrated and aligned with the mandated curriculum. This provides students with an opportunity to learn in a more creative way, and also helpes them to retain this information. Overall, Barclay is a true Community School that provides an enriching and nurturing environment for all students and families, and anyone who comes to visit will realize how close-knit this community is.

Posted June 23, 2011
One of Barclay's unique strengths is the commitment people feel to the school. We have teachers, administrators, families and volunteers who have been part of this school community for decades. This dedicated group doesn't hinder change at the school, but provides a wise sounding board. I have found Barclay to be a school that knows and respects its past while welcoming new perspectives and ideas.

Posted June 22, 2011
When I first came to Barclay to volunteer I could tell immediately that Barclay was a very special place. From my experiences with the older students, it is clear that Barclay provides a rigorous academic environment. My time in the class with younger students proved this. The students are challenged, and are provided interesting extra curricular activities. Yet Barclay is very special not only through it's excellent staff and academics; the school is truly a community. My time volunteering has not only taught me a great deal, but I was welcomed into a community.

Posted June 17, 2011
Barclay provides a safe and fun learning environment and community for its students. The children are polite and smart and always willing to lend a hand. The staff is supportive and invested in student's success. Overall Barclay is a great school.

Posted June 17, 2011
My daughter just finished her first year at Barclay and it has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. The school puts a lot of emphasis on instilling its students with a real enthusiasm for learning. They use a Project Based Learning approach, which I think makes students feel more invested in the work they do. This is reflected in the school environment--the students seem happy and at home in the school. This probably also has something to do with the fact that Barclay is a Community School that takes a real interest in students' lives beyond the classroom. It offers great after-school programs and is always looking for new ways to be of service to, and improve, the surrounding neighborhood. It has strong partnerships with other community organizations, including Johns Hopkins University, so it is very easy to feel my child is a part of a larger mission to do good--and I think she feels it to.

Posted November 28, 2010
Barclay is a school that works hard to ensure that all children get a solid education. The school offers an array of programs to engage the children - a creative new project based curriculum, arts programming, gardening, dance, etc. This school is worth a look.

Posted April 06, 2010

Posted September 16, 2009
A real community school that helps children learn

Barclay Elementary/Middle School
2900 Barclay St, Baltimore, MD  21218
Last modified Barclay Elementary/Middle School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Barclay Elementary/Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top