Carver Vocational-Technical High School

Public | 9-12 | 934 students

Posted June 17, 2014

First let me say Meade HS consists of two different schools. The "regular" school which is average to below average and the IB program which is very strong. I would only let my child matriculate at Meade if they were definitely participating in the IB program. The caliber of teacher is higher for the IB program and theyre more involved and dedicated. Also theyre less taxed with behavioral problems so they can effectively teach. This year one of the IB students graduated and is going to HARVARD UNIVERSITY!! So this tells you the quality of instruction at Meade (on the IB level). So the moral of this post is...if your child wants a quality education it can be found at Meade...but in the IB program. Also the principal John Yore is top notch...he cares and is working tirelessly to improve the climate at Meade HS. He is not to blame for Meade's problems...He inherited this school.

Posted January 6, 2012

IM an alumni of the class of 89. i had plenty of fun times at CARVER , had plenty of fun teachers, but cant truly say i was prepared well for college . CARVER focuses more on trade and less on college prep, and in todays world that could be a huge mis-step. TRADE CAREERS are no longer as gainful as they once were. CARVER assumes that your not COLLEGE material. SO they educate you as such. ALOT of my family attended CARVER, and thats pretty much why i went....HOWEVER...im proud to say my children will not be attending CARVER.....SHOUT OUT TO THE CLASS OF 89......WHAT ?

Posted August 18, 2011

What can a parent say that sets high expectations for their children? I am a mother of 5 and have 3 students that graduated from the BCPSS. My fourth daughter attends Carver, her 9th grade year I have to say that I was really concerned about keeping her there. However I didn't want to teach her to run when times were tough because tough times don't last tough people do. That being said, my daughter will be a senior this year and the past 3 years were worth the sacrifice of enduring the first year. This school has EXCELLENT instuctors and administrators that really care about your child like Mr. G., Mr. Mains, Ms. Eley and the dynamic Principal Sykes. Ms Eley has a nurturing heart she goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to the children. Mr Sykes has done a phenomenal job with renewing the vision for the school and implementing strategies for success! I would encourage alumni to go back and visit, the atmosphere will make you want to relive your high school experience. By the way parents: Teachers are not afraid to call your home and give a good report.

Posted December 27, 2010

This is the worst school any child could ever go to , The staff is rude , The kids fight , Its dirty , The school kids have no respect for each other , As a student of Carver I do not recommend it to anyone , The school that i will be attending next year will be the Baltimore School For The Arts . Where Everything is what A great school Should look like .

Posted November 29, 2010

As a former employee, I fully appreciate how wonderful the staff and students were.Presetly I started working at another school which is so different. The staff and students have an unparalleled level of respect for each other. The atmosphere felt like we were a family. It was an honor to be a part of this amazing school. Even when there wasn't a scheduled daily morning staff meeting for the second floor, we all ended up in our usual meeting place anyway, problem solving and brainstorming how to help students. I can only hope that my future children will have teachers that care as much as the staff does here.

Posted July 22, 2010

In my opinion I believe Carver Vo-Tech is a great school. This school was my first choice and I am becoming a senior the following year. Saying that, Carver is a excellent school choice if i lasted this long. Of course there will be problems with the teacher and sudent behavior because its high school. No high school is perfectly perfect. So dont critisize Carver Vo-Tech if you have not personally experienced whats inside Carver walls or been in a high school where it is keeply drama free.

Posted April 5, 2010

I very concern parent and took my child out of this . the fight, bomb threat, fire , and the rude staff. How is my child suppose to learn and the head has no structure. i truley miss the old principle and staff. the ceo need to check this school out some time and parent also.

Posted September 11, 2008

The school is great, the teachers are fine and really smart. The school is getting fully renovated and remodled so it's looking way better. I just have a problem with some of the students there, it's not the teachers fault that unruly students disrupt the lessons andthe teachers do there job. Only thing I hate is that the school focuses on sports . I also feel that Carver needs more up to date lessons; The are just getting into other languages instead of spanish, and they have no standardized calculus class or drama.

Posted September 10, 2008

I am an alumni of Carver and to say the most I love that during my time thereand I still do.

Posted August 14, 2008

i love this school i am a freshmen this year and they was my first choice and the accepted me i am so happy

Posted July 24, 2008

There are some teachers that do not do their job, the school closed at least 6 times for techincal difficulties in 08, and the students are not being challanged as they should be. That school does not prepare you for college. Trust me i am attending that school and is expected to graduate with class of 09

Posted January 7, 2008

I am a graduate of Carver and the school has changed since 1992. My daughter is now attending Carver and I am not very impressed with the teachers or the princpal.

Posted September 18, 2006

My son is a freshman at Carver and the only problem I have with the school is there are no Honors classes at the school. Therefore, it is not as challenging to him. Hopefully, next year when he begins to study his chosen trade, he will find it more rewarding.

Posted June 12, 2006

I attended Carver High School, it was a great experience.The time that I was up there I had fun. I just recently graduated from Carver c/o '06'.

Posted December 15, 2005

I attended carver and graduated in 2005, if was one of the funest and exciting schools that I have been to. I had a great learing experience and gained many lifetime friends and now I attend Frostburg State University. The learning system there is very great and that is how I was able to attend FSU with caring staff.

Posted December 8, 2005

I attended carver in 2000, and it was ok. My Assitant principal Mr. Bragg was cool. Mr Plitt was concern about any student.Igraduated with my high school diploma plus my trade degree in construction. I'm currently in the U.S. NAVY with an associates in General studies and going to complete my B.S. soon. Carver had it's little problems, and needs to be rehab a bit, but this is a good school.I will always miss my second family. - Stanley Savage c/o 2000

Posted November 11, 2005

I graduated from Carver in 2001 and I am a licensed cosmotoligist. I am fortunate to have attended a high school that gave me an option of having some sort of training upon graduation, just in case I didn't plan to attend college. Furthermore; I decided to attend Coppin State University in which I graduated at the age of 21 within 4 years with a degree in Management Science and a concentration in Marketing.The point I want to make is I did not have to attend college or successfully complete my trade work, but I made it happen. Carver is there to guide you but it's in the students hands to be successful and make things happen. Carver was a good guide for me and I took advantage. I would like to commend all the teachers who actually teach, they know who they are!! Good job Mr. Plitt.

Posted November 6, 2005

I also attended Carver. I learned very much, the teachers and aids were very resourceful. They helped me whenever I needed them. I never failed a class I did very well while I was there. My course of studie was Secretary Administrative Technology. I did very well in the Business program. Mr. Harris and Ms. Drew & Ms. Abrims & all my Business teachers taught me very well and I like to thank them for the wonderful years at Carver. Now I currently graduated from Tesst College of Technology with a major in Computerized Business Management and I'm certified in that field and I have a rewarding career ahead of me.

Posted September 6, 2005

I think this school is a great school for students to attend. They offer many different trades like cosmetology, daycare, food service, etc. They also have many programs for students to participate in.

Posted May 19, 2005

I don't know what that other person is talking about, but I learn a lot at Carver. I love the school. The principal Mr. Plitt is very dedicated and so are my teachers. Of course there are fights and drama but every school has that. I'm gonna miss Carver '05!

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 79%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology
  • Vocational education

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2201 Presstman St