Edmondson-Westside High School

Public | 9-12 | 961 students

Posted April 3, 2014

Edmondson West Side High School is an amazing place to work and the children are fantastic.... Since the two years that Karl E. Perry took over the school has been turning around in all areas especially academic opportunities. The different awesome trades that the school provides is second to none with the knowledgeable instructions makes a beautiful combination. We are the State champs in Basketball and we would like to say: EWHS, Go Red Storms Go!!!!!

Posted September 19, 2012

It is a great school!!! My son transferred here and has been very happy with this school, the football program and the teachers.

Posted August 20, 2012

Edmondson High is a lost treasure. With a shrinking budget, this school continues to have dedicated teachers, administrators, and paraprofessionals. Students have AP classes and many students in their trades(child care, baking, business, culinary arts, nursing assistants, etc) are employed in positions in their fields when they graduate high schools. The overall goal is to ensure that students are certified in their specialty before they graduate. This is a great effort on the students part as well as the instructors.

Posted January 25, 2011

Don't EVER send your child to this school. This year is my first year here and in 2 weeks I'm getting transferred. The students are disrespectful and wild. Its fights everyday. There is no way to learn in this school. The staff doesn't let us use lockers so we have to carry our books around, they lock the bathrooms, and the school is dirty. I would NOT reccomend any class of '15 or whoever is going to that school.

Posted November 22, 2010

This school offers so many possibilites. Like all of the A.P and honor classes. The trades also help you learn a job, and the best part is that you get to choose your trade

Posted October 11, 2010

I love Edmondson because there is no better school in Baltimore City!

Posted March 17, 2010

I rate the school as average due to its lack of complete parent involvement, they have dropped the ball some what when it comes to notifying parents of events before the day of as well as keeping parents informed about school improvement team meetings, the lack of a running PTA or even any effort in trying to form an active PTA.

Posted December 1, 2009

I attended Edmondson-Westside high and graduated in 2005. I believe Edmondson was good for an inner city school. The teachers and staff were pretty good. However, some of the students could be rude and out of hand. Overall, I would say my high school experience was pretty good at Edmondson.

Posted November 21, 2009

ewhs was a great school and u get to pick what trade u want to be in so for the person saying its a bad school that is a lie i went therer my whole four years and loved it i graduated in 09

Posted September 21, 2009

Have you and your son had a meeting with the Guidance Counselor? Have you spoken with the Principal? You can have your child taken out of ROTC since it is not an elective. Be a wife of a military person, I too did not want my son in ROTC last year, but for the short time he was in, it helped him express himself better, the discipline was good for him as well as his self confidence. Hopefully you will join the PTA, the School Improvement Team or something to not only voice your concerns but to bring ideas to the school to better the school.

Posted May 27, 2009

My son and I were elated to be accepted at EWHS. A lot of my relatives, including my brother, his wife and my younger sister attended EWHS. I have always preceived this school to be the best as it relates to sports. My son plays sports and is doing well academically. I like EWHS and would recommend this learning institution with great pride.

Posted March 7, 2009

I honestly hate this school. It's probably the worst learning enviroment you could put your children in. The enviroment is full of rudeness and disrespect and not to forget how dirty the school is. And one other thing who decided to issue a leadership class for the 9th grade. I have no problem with the JROTC because student sgin up for that crap if they want it but a leadership class is not needed. I dont want my child going to the army and I dont want him to be learning about violence. This school dont let you choose which classes your child want because I have tried many of times to get my child out of that pathetic class but no they wonot let you.

Posted November 21, 2008

My younger brother Jerry Lovelocke goes to this school and he plays on the Varisty Football team as the Quaterback. He tells me how this school is good for him and the teachers there are really cool.

Posted October 14, 2008

I attended Edmondson High for the 06-07,07-08,and first quarter of 08-09 school years...I liked it alot...the pros weigh out the cons...though there are a lot of cons...Drug use, gangs,Bullies, and thefts...thats the main reason why I will not continue my junior and senior year at Edmondson...

Posted August 10, 2008

Edmondson has been a big threshold in my life.i have had some bad experiences but the best experiences have happened at Edmondson .I now am an alumni of the class of 2007.In some ways I would like to turn back the hands of time and do a lot of great,fulfilling,and exciting things.I can't wait for the 2007 class reunion .

Posted December 14, 2007

This is a good school espescially the westside building because of the many diffrent trades.The students and the staff are great.The students are eager to learn and the teachers are proud to teach and very eager.

Posted May 21, 2007

I graduated in 2002, and absolutely love Edmondson. The teachers were great (Ms. Thomas, Thompson, Peales, Harris, Mr. Smith, Mountain, Blimline, Rosey-everybody!) Now that I live out of state and have little ones of my own; I truley value the hard work and passion of Edmondson's teachers. I just hope my little girls have teachers like I had.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 26, 2007

As a senior at Edmondson-Westside, I now know the true meaning of school pride. I am proud to say that I attend Edmondson-Westside. The students are great (most of the time) and the teachers are just excellent. I could not have asked for a better school to attend.

Posted March 18, 2007

I am a former parent of a student at Edmonson Westside and I can say the for the most part the students were actively concerned about their education. Most are very mature and hard working. Their are a few who are not but that's with any school. Edomonson is safe and all the children learn. Many of the teachers live in the community so it's like one big family. Way to go Edmonson!

Posted May 4, 2006

As an alumni of Edmondson Westside High School, i think that it is a great school. I like the fact that the programs that they have are hands on. In cosmotoloty, you do hair, in culinary arts you cook, in computer repair you repair computers. It's amazing. I loved my high school career. I couldn't have made a better decision attending that school. (Class of 2005)
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

211 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

214 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

216 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 82%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • PE instructor(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Vocational education

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Join PTO/PTA
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

501 North Athol Ave