K-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am a proud Calvert alumna. My Calvert education provided me with a solid foundation and a love of learning I that would not have received at any other school. The history, tradition, and approach to teaching truly make Calvert a world-class education! I am so grateful to my parents for sending me to Calvert!
September 27, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted January 03, 2016
some teachers are GREAT (I can not identify them without identifying myself!). Pilot, 6th age, 7th age, 9th age--we had some great teachers. Some small subject teachers (like math and reading in the top levels) are great as well. 10th age is a big problem.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted January 03, 2016
dumbed down recently. kids have exaggerated sense of accomplishment; top kids are not getting the challenging material they could.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted January 03, 2016
Teachers have dumbed down curriculum for my child's grade. I think teachers were criticized by parents for giving too much homework and giving too many tests. However, this dumbing down means kids at the highest level (as previous poster said) are not well-served. Kids think they have mastered a subject when they really can learn more about it or be curious about the next level. Lazy teachers take advantage of the situation by not pushing themselves to teach to the brightest students. My child seems over confident about material and this is a problem. The teacher does not even mark compositions except to remark on their gist. How is my child going to learn when mistakes are not flagged?

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted January 03, 2016
Admin are clueless as are teachers; make assumptions of people who are not WASPs. Calvert teaches the kids they are the greatest (I guess teaches them self-esteem?) and I guess it serves them well in the small community of Baltimore or this section of the country, but once outside these boundaries, I'm not sure what these kids will be like. They are in for a rude awakening if they venture into a more diverse environment. Hopefully they will learn before it is too late (the work environment or institution of higher education), but then again, most students stay local for college and career after Calvert.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted January 03, 2016
Counselor meets with each homeroom once or twice a month, but what can she do? Kids do not take her class seriously. Kids learn the Calvert pillars, but pretty obvious from my observations that they do not take any to heart. They learn that this is just lip service at the school and do not believe the pillars are not important in the real world (or at least in the Calvert world)

Calvert School 3

Posted January 03, 2016
I agree with the previous person who posted. The administration changed 2 yrs ago. We used to love this school (under Drs. Martire and Trusty). The new head of the lower school is inept. Recently there was a case of a 10 yr old girl who posted horrible comments about the physical attributes of a classmate using a shared computer account and did so under another girl's name. After interviews, it became obvious who the culprit was, but she became conveniently "sick" before Xmas break. The lower school head Elizabeth Martin (who was promoted from reading specialist to lower school head; not even a search was conducted!) never discussed the situation with the parents involved. Instead she told the girls, "It will take too much time to figure out who did this using the computer records, so don't do this." There are also a few VERY weak teachers whom Martin can not or will not address, and the head of the school Holmgren is rabidly against any discussion. When parents raise concerns, the attitude is, "Then go somewhere else." This school now works hard to appease parents whose kids complain there is too much work that interferes with sports. The middle school open house featured three inarticulate kids who said as much. We had so much hope for this school when we started a few years back under Drs. Martire and Trusty. We will likely be leaving at the end of this year. We are transplants to Baltimore, and this is a place that seems to be regressing into gender roles of old and attitudes of the old South, not advancing into the 21st century.

Calvert School 3

Posted August 19, 2015
I chose Calvert for my child because of the structure and the rigor of the curriculum. The administration and curriculum changed in the past 2 years. Now Calvert is headed in the direction of being just another independent school that will not produce the same level of students as it did in the past. The school is nurturing and the facilities are great but I can find that at any independent school. What made Calvert great was that Calvert made students love to strive for excellence at a higher level than other independent schools. So, if you want an average independent school experience Calvert is a fine choice. If your child is advanced or excels when the bar is high then Calvert is probably not a good fit.

Calvert School 4

Posted March 05, 2014
Where do I even start. Calvert has formed who I am. I am graduating this year and have been at CS since kindergarten. You can tell if it is a Calvert kid from a mile away. Every morning the student walks in and gives the principal a firm handshake and look in the eye, yes, from pre-k all the way to 8th grade. Not even including the rigorous academics, that will help one in the real world. Public speaking, and so much more subjects besides the normal. The facilities are quite fantastic for a K-8, and every student has the ability to play on the sports field, in gym, recess, and interscholastically starting in 6th grade. Calvert teaches co-ed and single sex, which is one of a kind. Now that I have one step out the door, I am truly honored to have gone here, and I will be able to pick where I want to go to high school. The high school placement process has an over 90% acceptance rate for first choice schools. Going through this process, admissions at other Baltimore private schools would say, "Oh, you're from Calvert." This school is amazing, and I don't know who I would have formed to be if I didn't go to this school and had the amazing classmates that I did.

Calvert School 2

Posted November 14, 2013
I am a Calvert School graduate from the lower school. I understand not all of you will agree with my opinion, but Calvert put me through some really rough times. While providing the structure I needed growing up, I found the school very lacking in artistic and creative encouragement. I made some long lasting friends and many good memories there, but all in all, it was a harsh, rigid, extremely structured environment. I would recommend this school to anyone for the first few years, but I needed to get out. It may have changed since I attended, but this is my experience.

Calvert School 5

Posted October 02, 2013
My husband and I live, literally, paycheck to paycheck to send our daughter to Calvert. Our investment is worth every penny! Yes, the curriculum is challenging. Yes, we love the teaching staff and administrators. Yes, Calvert strikes the right balance between robust academics and opportunities for the students to "get out the giggles and wiggles" via recess or PE. But from our perspective, the intangible benefits of a Calvert School education is the distinguishable feature that separates Calvert from other private schools and why we will continue to sacrifice in lieu of the public school alternative. Our daughter is independent, confident, articulate, intelligent, and well-rounded. She is respectful, compassionate, and responsible. All of the faculty and administrators know my daughter by name; but more importantly she knows each of them, including the indispensable groundskeeping, housekeeping, and cafeteria staffs. Calvert is a cohesive family where everyone is valued and appreciated. While we instill these same values and principles in our child, Calvert teaches and reinforces these values in every aspect to develop a leader and solid citizen in our community.

105 Tuscany Road, Baltimore, MD  21210