Baltimore, MD
Before care: Yes

Calvert School 4

Posted March 05, 2014
Where do I even start. Calvert has formed who I am. I am graduating this year and have been at CS since kindergarten. You can tell if it is a Calvert kid from a mile away. Every morning the student walks in and gives the principal a firm handshake and look in the eye, yes, from pre-k all the way to 8th grade. Not even including the rigorous academics, that will help one in the real world. Public speaking, and so much more subjects besides the normal. The facilities are quite fantastic for a K-8, and every student has the ability to play on the sports field, in gym, recess, and interscholastically starting in 6th grade. Calvert teaches co-ed and single sex, which is one of a kind. Now that I have one step out the door, I am truly honored to have gone here, and I will be able to pick where I want to go to high school. The high school placement process has an over 90% acceptance rate for first choice schools. Going through this process, admissions at other Baltimore private schools would say, "Oh, you're from Calvert." This school is amazing, and I don't know who I would have formed to be if I didn't go to this school and had the amazing classmates that I did.

Calvert School 2

Posted November 14, 2013
I am a Calvert School graduate from the lower school. I understand not all of you will agree with my opinion, but Calvert put me through some really rough times. While providing the structure I needed growing up, I found the school very lacking in artistic and creative encouragement. I made some long lasting friends and many good memories there, but all in all, it was a harsh, rigid, extremely structured environment. I would recommend this school to anyone for the first few years, but I needed to get out. It may have changed since I attended, but this is my experience.

Posted October 02, 2013
My husband and I live, literally, paycheck to paycheck to send our daughter to Calvert. Our investment is worth every penny! Yes, the curriculum is challenging. Yes, we love the teaching staff and administrators. Yes, Calvert strikes the right balance between robust academics and opportunities for the students to "get out the giggles and wiggles" via recess or PE. But from our perspective, the intangible benefits of a Calvert School education is the distinguishable feature that separates Calvert from other private schools and why we will continue to sacrifice in lieu of the public school alternative. Our daughter is independent, confident, articulate, intelligent, and well-rounded. She is respectful, compassionate, and responsible. All of the faculty and administrators know my daughter by name; but more importantly she knows each of them, including the indispensable groundskeeping, housekeeping, and cafeteria staffs. Calvert is a cohesive family where everyone is valued and appreciated. While we instill these same values and principles in our child, Calvert teaches and reinforces these values in every aspect to develop a leader and solid citizen in our community.

Posted September 29, 2013
We have only experienced the Lower School and so are not in a position to review the Middle School. Calvert has a traditional and structured style. The students learn in a mostly same sex environment, with coed specialty groups. Uniform is comfortable (Khakis & shirts for boys, plaid jumper for girls). The environment is respectful for all. Academic standards and personal attention are balanced. Courses require focus; students have assignments and receive. There is a premium on fundamental abilities: reading, writing, speech, math, problem solving, etc. with exposure to computers and art. Calvert is a haven of childhood holiday celebrations, patriotism, and plays /assemblies. Environment is insulated and safe. The academic preparation is outstanding. You can expect an honest assessment. Calvert is welcoming and actively seeks diversity. Graduates receive an excellent education and will be extremely well prepared and typically successful at the next level. Admission testing is a reliable predictor. Socially, my daughter has made wonderful friends, with whom she plays sports, has sleepovers, etc. The kids are terrific and the families are strong in the community.

Posted September 29, 2013
Calvert School brings out the very best in its students. Our son and daughter can't wait to go to school each day, and the range of subjects they are learning is, in a word, phenomenal. We are witnessing firsthand how Calvert plays a role in shaping boys and girls into impressive young individuals.

Posted September 27, 2013
I am a proud Calvert alumna. My Calvert education provided me with a solid foundation and a love of learning I that would not have received at any other school. The history, tradition, and approach to teaching truly make Calvert a world-class education! I am so grateful to my parents for sending me to Calvert!

Posted September 27, 2013
Calvert has a special way of challenging children while making it fun and interesting. My children never want to miss a single day!

Posted September 27, 2013
We absolutely LOVE Calvert School! We have two boys who attend the school and they have grown by leaps and bounds in the time they've attended Calvert. The faculty and staff are engaged, enthusiastic and incredible communicators. They are also compassionate, caring and supportive. We truly feel like we are part of the "Calvert Family"! We also feel incredibly fortunate that our children are able to attend such a magnificent school. The Seward Family

Posted September 27, 2013
Our two daughters love to learn at Calvert School. Calvert focuses on the fundamentals -- excellent writing skills through weekly compositions, reading and mathematics with developmental-based small groups, and a teaching staff that is supportive and caring while expecting the most our of their students. Calvert also focuses on all the great extras, like foreign language, art, history, science, physical education, mythology, music and art history. My daughters can use the new piano lab before school starts three days a week for practice time, and they learn about astrology by using the Calvert planetarium. Here's just one reason to love Calvert: One member of the administration -- including Lower School Head Dr. Ed Trusty and Headmaster Andrew Holmgren -- sit down with each student every month and comment on their folder papers. They are truly engaged with the students' academic lives!

Posted September 17, 2013
We have had four children thrive as students and grow as individuals at Calvert School. No two kids are alike and we are grateful that Calvert has been able to academically challenge and accommodate the interests of our children.

Calvert School