Hamilton Elementary/Middle School

Public | PK-8

Posted December 11, 2013

My children started at Hamilton Elementary/Middle 3 yrs ago and it was the best decision made. I would highly recommend it.

Posted October 6, 2013

We moved to the city from Anne Arundel County. After having numerous people read me the riot act for pulling my kids (ages 6,9,12) out of such a "good" school system to move them into what they percieve as a terrible one..I admit, I was apprehensive. However, I must say that we have been absolutely impressed with my daughters teachers and the administration. The principle is thoughtful, engaged with the students, and driven to make this school a great school! Student safety is a priority and my kids have never felt unsafe. The school has numerous partnerships in the community, including a local urban gardening program. The school garden and greenhouse are wonderful, as they take time to engage the students in growing their own food. The academics are more challenging than what we had in AA county which was very surprising to me. Common Core is utilized and I am a fan of critical thinking required. I would like to see a greater parent presence and involvement. I also miss the financial resources that were present in AA County, but am impressed with the commitment of the teachers and staff to provide extra curriculars for the students out of their own free time.

Posted September 20, 2013

My daughter is a student here and she loves school. I originally intended to send her to a private school, but due to budget changes we decided to give Hamilton a try. It has been the single best decision that I've made for her. The PTO is involved with the regular decision making of the administration and I feel as if we can make a difference in her life and the lives of your children. Parent involvement is key, if you do not like Hamilton, I'd question if you regularly attend PTO meetings, you will see Dr. Drummond at each one, and if she can't respond to your email, I assure you twice a month, we have her undivided attention. Yes parenting involves more than dropping your children off or picking them up on time, imagine that. My daughter is in elementary school and with the direction of Ms Naughten, Ms Robinson, or Ms Scott, your little ones will receive quality instruction.

Posted September 10, 2013

I have two kids at this school who love it. The teachers care and the students all work hard.

Posted August 25, 2013

My son is in the ingenuity project and the teachers are terrific, the program challenging and interesting. The school is clean, the classrooms are nice although it is freezing in the basement and first floor and roasting hot on the upper floors. I dislike the principal very much. Dr. Drummond is out of touch with her students, does not return emails or phone calls and does not appear involved in the students lives in anyway. She is not friendly nor warm or inviting. I have never ever seen the two assistant principals at any time at school. This is a huge contrast to our previous school Hampstead Hill Academy and I miss Mr. Hornbeck and the administration of that school. If it were not for ingenuity I would not have sent my child to school there because of Dr. Drummond. The teachers I have met are very nice, some not effective educators but nice people who care about the children and their jobs. Our son is excited about returning to school for the first year of his life this year but it is only because of the amazing teachers of the ingenuity program.

Posted August 19, 2013

I think , no I know it is a Great School. When you Look at the test data students from 236 score at or the same rate on MSA as schools in Howard County. We can not continue to blame the leadership for school climate when some patents have not done the job needed at home. We must challenge our children to do the best they can every day. We must also tell our children anything less than 85 is not good enough. Lets ask ourselves if we will give 15 hours a year per family to help with school climate. What can you/we do to develope a class (workshops) to ensure our children follow all school rules. I will just state for the record as patents of 236 we must fight for our children to attend a school that is not filled to the rim. I have seen the increase of outside zone students as the main reason for school climate decline. I am not talking about theather and science programs. We have a great school lets tell our children that we will not settle for anything less!!

Posted November 1, 2012

I was happy when our test scores came out this year. Somehow the school maintained decent performance. However, the culture continues to worry me. Once respectful children are now disruptive and the staff student relationship seems very weak. The leadership does not seem enthused about the school and great programs like the choir are gone. Thankfully some great teachers (like Ms. Kocis, Mr. Hartman, and Ms. Jackson remain) City Schools needs to do something about this former gem. The new principal needs some help.

Posted June 29, 2012

I do agree with the person that said this school has gone down hill... I am trying to give teh new principal a chance to get comfortable but she does not seem to have any control over not only the kids but the teachers as well... there are some teachers that still seem enthusiatic to be there but there are some that don't seem as eager to reach the children and I don't feel as though the new principal has the authority to change that... hopefully its just a matter of her getting more used to being at this school... we'll see!

Posted April 5, 2012

I have to completely disagree with the previous review. It's as if we are talking about two different schools. We have been with Hamilton since my son was in kindergarten, and he is now in 6th while my daughter is in 2nd. I have been on the PTA board since we started, as well as numerous committees over the years. I see a new principal forging friendly and professional relationships with students, teachers, staff and parents. I see dedicated and effective teachers who care about what is best for the students and who feel respected and appreciated by their principal. I also stick around after drop off and help during after school activities as well as volunteer on a regular basis and, if anything, I am seeing a better overall climate this year than ever before. If you are a parent considering sending your kids to Hamilton, please come and visit. Meet the principal and take a tour of our wonderful school so you can see for yourself what I am talking about. Also, the PTA hosts coffee for parents in the Parent Resource Room every Tuesday morning at drop off, so please join us!

Posted April 5, 2012

Hamilton is a community of great kids, engaged parents, skilled and committed teachers, and compassionate and forward-thinking administrators.

Posted April 5, 2012

Hamilton is a great learning environment. My child has been attending Hamilton since he was 5 years old. Each year the teacher's and staff amaze me. This school prepares kids to become successful students. They have above average test scores ever year. The teachers are dedicated and passionate. I feel safe and welcomed when I volunteer and visit the school. Hamilton is a school that is about learning, creativity, and family!

Posted February 12, 2012

I attended P.S. 236 for 6th grade (1960-1961). Miss Glock shared her enthusiasm for learning with us and to this day I fondly remember her and the wonderful school year with my classmates in Room 303. Carol Vettel Daub

Posted January 1, 2012

I attended Hamilton Elem. during the 50's- lived on Westfield ave. Love it as a child .

Posted December 5, 2011

I attended Hamilton Elementary ps 236 from 1964-1973. A tall statiesque red head named Mrs Erma Grafton was the principal. Her side kick was a Mrs Beasley or Beedle. I don't remember. Mrs grafton had a love of poetry and in later years when we reconnected she sent me a book of poems by her favorite author. She was a special part of my life as a child and I think of her from time to know but am sure she is gone by now. I remember the lime green walls, the scary cafeteria in the basement. I was a hall monitor for a week. Kids never did listen to me...LOL

Posted August 9, 2011

i truley love this school. i am starting my third child here and i will definately recommend this school to any parent looking for a good and safe environment in a school

Posted August 8, 2011

I just had the opportunity to meet the new principal Dr. Drummond. Initially I was very nervous that a change in leadership would mean a negative turn for our school. However I feel very reassured that she will continue to take us in a great direction. The parents and teachers on the committee who chose her did a wonderful job. She is smart, caring, child centered, and kind. I encourage everyone in NE Baltimore to take a tour and get to know our new principal. (Oh... and the garden is blooming with some delicious greens!)

Posted May 27, 2011

have to rate this school from 1965-1971 great school back in the day.........."maroon and gold will never fade, our debt to you shall ne'er be paid......"

Posted March 27, 2011

My son is in the 5th grade and my daughter is in the 1st. We have been with Hamilton since my son began kindergarten, and I have to say that this school is a treasure that will turn all preconceived notions of a BCPS upside down. There are so many reasons to brag, but I will try to keep it as brief as possible: great kids; talented, caring teachers, staff & administrators; award-winning band; rich academic and arts curriculum & after-school clubs; gorgeous, ever-evolving campus w/expansive community garden; beautiful murals co-created by community artists and students; state championship-winning chess team; wonderful musical theater dept.; active athletic teams; and the list goes on...Add to these assets the fact that Hamilton is one of only 3 city schools chosen to offer the Hopkins-based Ingenuity Project to high-achieving middle school students from around the city. I have been active on the PTA board since we came to Hamilton, so I know that the school's administrators value parental input and involvement. Come take a tour and join our big diverse family!

Posted March 25, 2011

I am a student at Hamilton. I have been going here since Pre-K. That was 7 years ago in 2004. I am currently in the 6th grade Ingenuity Project. Things have changed, a lot, since Mr. Barnes left Ms Harahan came and left and now Mr Murphy. I was very you when Mr.Barnes was here. The school has changed so much, in a good way. I play the flute in the award winning Senior Band. I've been playing for 3 years. Mr.Gold the band director, is excellent and is a great teacher. The school has great teacher who believe in their students. They also have a garden. In 2 years, i will be leaving Hamilton, the school i grew up with all of my life, remembering all of the great memories that I enjoyed. I am hoping to go to Poly and Hamilton will and already has started preparing me for my future. Send your children to this school. You won't regret it.

Posted November 30, 2010

I have been thoroughly impressed with Hamilton since my daughter started going there three years ago, in the sixth grade, for the Ingenuity Program. First and foremost, the teachersactually enjoy teaching and watching the kids learn and mature. All of my daughter's teachers have e-mail, which they respond to, and keep my daughter on track! They want her to succeed! The PTA is great, lots of parent involvement, and the principal, Mr. Murphy, is the most in-tune, focused principal I have ever come across, in my childhood and my daughter's!

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 80%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Nurse(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

• Band
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6101 Old Harford Rd