No rating

Boys Latin School of Maryland

Private | K-12

Living in Baltimore

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $348,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted August 29, 2014

My interview with BL for my incoming 6 grader was shocking. They wanted my son to repeat the 5th coming from a public school. According to BL, he would be more successful repeating a grade. I didn't understand the concept of how they made their analysis of my son's placement at BL when he indeed was forwarded to the 6th grade from public school. Some of the teachers (study skills) and clan was extremely rude and snobbish but the librarian is an excellent support for the students not pursuing sports but academics instead. Oh, btw the diversity of student race needs improvement this not the 1950s.

Posted May 24, 2014

Great Lacrosse School. The lacrosse coaches nurture and develop talent from within. This is not the case with many of the other sports divisions where coaching talent is not as consistent. In such a small school you would expect that there is opportunity for most of the kids trying out for a sport to participate fully, this is not necessarily the case at Boys Latin Upper School where personal relationships play a strong role in team selection. The school has a strong Math program and an impressive Robotics program. A reasonable non-sectarian choice for your sons education.

Posted February 10, 2014

Educational Support Services at BL provides outstanding support to my son and other boys with varied learning styles, enabling them to gain skills and acquire knowledge to the best of their abilities. The small class sizes permit teachers to know the individual students and meet their learning needs. Moreover, teachers at BL have the knowledge and skills themselves to present material in a variety of different ways, including hands-on, capturing the attention of each and every boy. We are proud that our son has become an independent learner at BL; he has learned to advocate for his own learning needs.

Posted December 21, 2013

Academic Rigor-If you review BL's course catalog, it offers post-calculus courses like multi-variable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. You have to have a strong math program to get students to this level. Mathematics is key to high paying jobs, top competitive schools, and will differentiate your son from others. With respect to athletics, this is a small school with roughly 270-320 students in the upper school for example. If you are comparing this school to one that has over 1,000 students, the percentage of kids who will need to field all the sports at Boys Latin is simply higher due to numbers. If you really care about sports, you would go to an A-conference school. Boys Latin is a B-conference school with the exception of Lacrosse. Because they are small, they have the time, patience, and attitude to help find, nurture, and grow potential. That is a mark of a great school.

Posted August 31, 2013

My son and I have been very happy with this school. They teach values in the lower school. The kids are kind to each other and are very happy. The academics are great and the math program in lower school is better than other private school programs in the area.

Posted August 29, 2013

I was a student there and the worst years of my life. Hated every moment. I was not into sports at all and they use that against you. I wish I never went there. BIG BIG Mistake. To this day I HATE sports because I was not good and went to a "Sports" school where that is all they are concerned about. I got 0 education. It was pathetic. The teachers were over paid snobs who if you were not on the lacrosse team then you were treated like dirt. Do yourself and your children a favor and support public schools. ZERO STARS. So far the biggest mistake of my life and I have talked with others who say the same but would never tell anyone about it. Dont walk, but RUN RUN as fast as you can away from bl.

Posted July 9, 2013

Boys' Latin has been a second home to my family for three generations. My grandfather was class of 1938, father was class of 1971, I was class of 2001 and my brother, class of 2006. I enjoyed my time at Boys' Latin immensely and wouldn't trade the experience for anything else in the world. It is a unique experience in the Baltimore private school world and one I'll never forget.

Posted June 19, 2013

Great athletics. Science teachers leave much to be desired. In preparing boys for college they have college level courses presented by lecturers. Sink or swim is the motto. If your son is a strong athlete this is not a bad school. If your son is more academically oriented try Gillman or McDonough.

Posted May 27, 2013

Great Lacrosse team Good Basketball Team OK Soccer team Good Robotics team Average Advisory team Good Principal Most teachers strong Some teachers average

Posted April 21, 2012

Great school for boys to grow up in. The Laker family concept gives my son a family during the day at school. He has two big brothers, one in middle school and one in upper school. They meet and interact in games, studying, and mentoring. He loves all his classmates, and all of the older students. He can be totally safe and comfortable with everyone at the school. The staff is caring and very effective. They teach boys the way boys need to be taught. So if you want a great place for your son to learn and grow, take him to the Boys Latin School. He and you will love it!

Posted April 20, 2012

Boys Latin School is a very culturally diverse school. It offers scholarships to help more students to join this very rigorous academic family. Boys Latin was the first private school to accept African American students during the 1960's. Students are taught academic disciplines, social responsibility and character. The school consistently performs at a high level in all of these areas. The school also offers top notch athletic programs such as lacrosse, football and ice hockey. They also have sports for everyone like badmitton and squash. Boys Latin students get accepted and graduate from the best universities in the country.

Posted April 19, 2012

Boys Latin School is the best thing that has ever happened to my son in his educational preparation. His teachers are excellent and caring. The school holds each student accountable for their decisions and discipline occurs by a student run Honors board. The school is academically strong offering diverse course experiences for all types of interests. The boys themselves are a diverse group from differing economic and educational backgrounds. The boys are accepted at some of the best universities from Harvard to MIT. The great reputation of this school also stems from the fact that they make every effort to match colleges to teach boy. Therefore, the boys go to college and are successful and graduate. The atmosphere of the school is friendly and open. The boys are always smiling and interacting positively with each other and the staff. My son loved to go to school everyday and found many of his instructors to be geniunely interested in him as a student. He also said that the knowledge of the teachers impressed him. The school motto "To be not just to seem" is carried out by all involved in this institution.

Posted February 19, 2012

Our son has blossomed at BL. It is academically rigorous with excellent communication between teachers and parents. We began in Kindergarten and we are glad we went with the Pre-first year instead of pushing our son onto first grade. As a result our son is at the top of his class in first grade and has the confidence and tools needed to continue excelling. We love the small class sizes 10 boys. The school truly cares about our boys and their families.

Posted October 8, 2011

As a parent whose son is academically advanced. The top notch curiculum and teachers are refreshing. However, Boy's Latin goes beyond that to offer a wide range of extracurricular activities from Sports to Debate to ensure a well rounded young man emerges at the end of their High School career. AS a father who attended a boy's High School many years ago I truly appreciate the emphasis on sports and art in the overall social and emotional development of a boy. Our son loves the school and so do his parents.

Posted August 29, 2011

I completely agree with the parent that said Lacrosse is the top priority here. 21K+ does not protect your son from extreme bullying if he is not athletic. Award winning, 99 percentile in math, A students don't rate.

Posted September 16, 2010

I'm a lower school parent whose son transferred from public school kindergarten. The biggest advantage for my son has been the small class sizes (11-14, w/ smaller groups for language arts and math), which allow for continuous assessment and true individualized instruction. Communication is excellent. Facilities are great and the campus is beautiful. The school is traditional in many ways which I prefer because of its familiarity. The only disadvantage is that it's a rather homogenous student body, although we're a non-traditional family and have been welcomed by everyone.

Posted March 30, 2010

My Son Moved from public school to the lower school. I am very impressed by the quality of education and the care my son receive in this school. Great campus and teachers.

Posted January 3, 2010

My son attended lower school at Boys Latin, and left only because we moved too far away. His experience at BL was stellar and created a strong academic foundation and love of learning! The administration and staff truly care about each student and their respective abilities. While there is a focus on athletics, traditional values and academics take priority. I highly recommend Boys' Latin for any boy who desires strong acadmics and athletics, and any parent who desires an environment where you can be confident your child is well-prepared for success.

Posted August 15, 2009

This school maintains excellent facilities, but the education seems to come after sports, and anything art related, well that's a little below landscaping if you ask me. If you want a school that accepts students based on ability, this is not the school for you. It mainly focused on race and finances. Lacrosse seems to come before anything else. It's number one. All in all I was severely disappointed with this school. While the teachers are somewhat dedicated, that facilities are excellent, but the student body and learning environment leave something to be desired, especially for a $21K+ a year tuition bill. Yikes!

Posted March 15, 2009

Value in the classroom and beyond. Boy's Latin truly prepares youth to be rather than seem.
—Submitted by a student

Asian 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 5%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All boys
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

822 W Lake Ave