K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son has been at the school since 6th grade (now in the 9th), transitioning from a public school and it has been the best decision we have made. All of the staff have been extremely supportive of him and our family. The teachers are awesome! They are all very caring and focused on your child's individual academic and social growth. This school also encourages athletics and physical activity whether your child participates in a school sport or not which I think is extremely important. All of the boys that I have met that go there are respectful, intelligent, and well-rounded. The school is working on diversity and I think that it is headed in the right direction with its partnership with the BEST program and other community progams. I LOVE this school and my child does too!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

A rigorous program that holds students, teachers and administrators responsible for student outcomes. The progr uses academics, the arts and sports to impart these essential values to create well rounded young men.

Above average school with nice students but not the same place that it use to be. The current Headmaster Post talks a good game but has little substance. Assistant Headmaster doesn't even have his son enrolled at BL. Over all good for the boys but stressful work environment due to current leadership.

My interview with BL for my incoming 6 grader was shocking. They wanted my son to repeat the 5th coming from a public school. According to BL, he would be more successful repeating a grade. I didn't understand the concept of how they made their analysis of my son's placement at BL when he indeed was forwarded to the 6th grade from public school. Some of the teachers (study skills) and clan was extremely rude and snobbish but the librarian is an excellent support for the students not pursuing sports but academics instead. Oh, btw the diversity of student race needs improvement this not the 1950s.

Great Lacrosse School. The lacrosse coaches nurture and develop talent from within. This is not the case with many of the other sports divisions where coaching talent is not as consistent. In such a small school you would expect that there is opportunity for most of the kids trying out for a sport to participate fully, this is not necessarily the case at Boys Latin Upper School where personal relationships play a strong role in team selection. The school has a strong Math program and an impressive Robotics program. A reasonable non-sectarian choice for your sons education.

Academic Rigor-If you review BL's course catalog, it offers post-calculus courses like multi-variable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. You have to have a strong math program to get students to this level. Mathematics is key to high paying jobs, top competitive schools, and will differentiate your son from others. With respect to athletics, this is a small school with roughly 270-320 students in the upper school for example. If you are comparing this school to one that has over 1,000 students, the percentage of kids who will need to field all the sports at Boys Latin is simply higher due to numbers. If you really care about sports, you would go to an A-conference school. Boys Latin is a B-conference school with the exception of Lacrosse. Because they are small, they have the time, patience, and attitude to help find, nurture, and grow potential. That is a mark of a great school.

My son and I have been very happy with this school. They teach values in the lower school. The kids are kind to each other and are very happy. The academics are great and the math program in lower school is better than other private school programs in the area.

I was a student there and the worst years of my life. Hated every moment. I was not into sports at all and they use that against you. I wish I never went there. BIG BIG Mistake. To this day I HATE sports because I was not good and went to a "Sports" school where that is all they are concerned about. I got 0 education. It was pathetic. The teachers were over paid snobs who if you were not on the lacrosse team then you were treated like dirt. Do yourself and your children a favor and support public schools. ZERO STARS. So far the biggest mistake of my life and I have talked with others who say the same but would never tell anyone about it. Dont walk, but RUN RUN as fast as you can away from bl.

Boys' Latin has been a second home to my family for three generations. My grandfather was class of 1938, father was class of 1971, I was class of 2001 and my brother, class of 2006. I enjoyed my time at Boys' Latin immensely and wouldn't trade the experience for anything else in the world. It is a unique experience in the Baltimore private school world and one I'll never forget.

Great athletics. Science teachers leave much to be desired. In preparing boys for college they have college level courses presented by lecturers. Sink or swim is the motto. If your son is a strong athlete this is not a bad school. If your son is more academically oriented try Gillman or McDonough.

Last modified Boys Latin School of Maryland is a Private school that serves grades K-12