Holabird Elementary

Public | PK-8

Posted March 23, 2012

I am a parent of a child attending Holabird Academy. The school has very poor leadership in regard to the some of the teachers and the principal. I have witnessed the principal screaming at the children to the top of his lungs as an attempt to regain order in the school. The school leaders lack in communication skills as far as talking to the students in the proper way and trying to understand what the students are going through while attending this school. Anyone considering putting their child in this school please stop by and sit in the cafeteria. It will give you perspective on the professionalism of the staff and the lack of communication skills that the staff has with the children. Children are acting out in this school and the bullying is at all time high there due to the childrens unstable and underqualified staff that set the bar for what a persons behavior should be in the school. I guess the colleges need to give a class on common sense to the school staff. Staff there really don't see it as a problem that they scream demands at these children everyday. They wonder why the children act out in defiance.

Posted March 23, 2012

Holibird used to be a good school. To many changes have occured within the last year, and I feel that the changes made did not improve the school at all. The manging principal is not my choice of a leader. He does not keep the middle school children under control. I believe that the middle school children could get away with everything under the sun before they are disaplinted with a reasonable punishment. In other reviews I have read, I noticed that a parent had said when we were in school we used to copy our drill from the board to prepare for the lesson of the day and we had to copy our homework off the board. Now they send home a piece of paper with homework, well what is that teaching students, I dont feel that it is teaching them anything they need to know. What ever happened to learning handwriting skills,math skills,copying from a blackboard,being called upon to do a math problem in front of the class. What to resiting the PLEDGE OF ALEGENTS. They do it before a football game,baseball game,tennis etc. Why is it not being done in this school?

Posted August 8, 2009

I think holabird is a great school on the rise, with a wonderful staff who works together to encourage the children to strive for greatness. An provided them with the tools on getting there. Holabird teachers and staff keep up the good work and we Thank you. Ms Krey your the best.

Posted May 5, 2009

While my child is'nt the best student in the school I beleive that he needs to be in a scholl that holds smaller classes.In which I was told that the school couldnt provide that for my child .I can't wait to get him out this school.Don't get me wrong Ms. Krey tries to make the school bettter unfortunatly it not

Posted February 4, 2009

I would like to say that since the new principal has arrived Holabird has become a completly differnt school. The principal is very committed to bringing the school up to par. As well as making sure her stuents meet AYP. I know times have changed since I been in school, but I feel like my childern are not gaining as much knolwledge as they should by attending this school. They get dittos for homework, I never see any notes or what they may have worked on in class. I mean how is my childern supose to study at night. When I was in school the first thing we had to do when we arrived was to copy the objective off the board and complete the drill. Which prepared us the the lesson of the day. The school system needs alot of restructuring.

Posted July 6, 2008

I am so proud to hear of the progress Holabird has made. But truthfully I am not surprised. I have had the unique privelege of working with her as a teacher (before her administrative days). Even then she was 100 percent devoted to children. She was also very warm and respectful to parents and fellow teachers. Our schools loss has certainly been Holabirds gain!

Posted April 2, 2008

Being a parent of holabird I would deffently recommend this school for any baltimore city child. We have small number of students witch alows better instruction to the student from the teacher. Our classrooms are not crowed.

Posted April 2, 2008

i'm a parent at holabird academy and i feel that the school is improving daily. i have been volunteering here for about five yearssince my first child has started here. hopefully i will be hired on next year as a staff. the school has all new staff this year which has made a great sucess. i see a great improvement now. i think holabied deserves 5 stars.

Posted September 21, 2007

this school has dune a compleat turn around for the being the best school in baltimore city. there are, music and gym classess for the students. student art work is in the lobby of the school and there work is hung on the hallway walls. there is a parent room and the parents are useing the room and volunteering in the school. local bussiness leaders and parents are trying to get a playground.there will be school plays preformed by the students and they have gone on feild trips. the teachers have all there degrees. bring your child back and they will get a higher quilty instruction because of the smaller classes sizes and exculent teachers. this school is finally being run the way it should be run. Hollabird, Ms. Krey and her staff Rock!!! A Mom Jennifer Miller :):) and proud of it. :)

Posted August 19, 2007

Holabird is a new school for the '07-'08 school year. The staff and dedicated families have worked hard all summer to get the school in shape, and we are working on new windows. The new administrative team treats children, parents and teachers with kindness and respect. Please come and see the wonderful progress that is already underway and the exciting changes yet to come!

Posted January 21, 2007

I am a teacher who has now moved away after teaching at Holabird -- and by away I mean as far away as possible. The senior Kindergarten teacher was the only person who was interested in helping me work on my teaching techniques and she could write a book about how to communicate with people. She is a saint. My positive remarks about Holabird stop there.

Posted November 6, 2005

I recently moved from North Carolina and I'm planning on running back because of Holabird.I am so disappointed in this school outward and inward appearance.I'm soo disappointed in this school I'm moving back to North Carolina.When you drive up to the school the windows are so dirty it looks like a spooky haunted house.

Posted November 3, 2005

Let me try hard to tell you in a clean version about this school.I give 5 stars to the teachers and secretaries of this school. They put up with a lot of hatred from the principal and no air conditioner except for in the OFFICE, and low supplies. These are real teachers because they could be any where esle but go through torcher and teach these kids. As soon as I drove up to this school I thought I was at a haunted house the windows are hidious. This school looks like a Scary movie part 4. It's filfthy. The principal has no morals and care nothing about the school,children or parents. Some people let a little bit of power go to their head. I feel sorry for the children at that school, they're not learning they are at a boot camp.

Posted July 14, 2005

This school does everything wrong. While many of the teachers are very well qualified, the principal, Dr. Stewart is rude, and extremely unprofessional. this principal is rarely available to meet about important school issues. Additioanlly this school building is unsafe and has a rodent problem. To anyone seeking to send you child to Holabird or any teacher who wants to work at Holabird, RUN as fast as you can away from this school!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted February 11, 2005

I am not happy with this school. My daughters first grade teacher is not qualified. The homework is very limited if any. I had to but work books for home so she would have work to do. The principal does not take responsibility for any of the problems. I think it should be much easier for me to transfer my childs school.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 92%N/A42%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now