Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Matthew A. Henson Elementary School 4

Posted June 05, 2015
My child has attended this school for 2 years. She has excelled in reading, being moved to a higher class to continue to challenge her. Also, she has improved in math and anytime there was an issue with my child I was notified by the principal. The school is always open if I need to visit to check on my child and the staff all seem competent and polite. So far I am satisfied with the performance of this school. They do have a PTA who along with the principal is always willing to help the families of students in any way they can. They also offer assistance with getting your child to and from school if you are too sick to take them yourself! They offer awards, certificates, and other incentives to encourage the students to work hard.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 05, 2015
I think some are more effective than others, but I don't have any complaints. I can see improvement in my child.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 05, 2015
I thinks it's good, my child gets homework everyday except Friday. It gives her a chance to review what she has learned in school but isn't so much that she feels overwhelmed.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted June 05, 2015
My daughter always tells me that her teacher says, "if you don't get it right the first time then try and try again."

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 05, 2015
Yes, students are encouraged to help one another and to treat others the way they want to be treated.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted June 05, 2015
My child always comes home telling me about what she learned in school that day and it seems to me that she is learning to be honest, work hard, treat other students with respect, and to take pride in herself and her school.

Matthew A. Henson Elementary School 1

Posted January 23, 2013
My child was learning a lot in her class until I found out that she is being harassed by other kids and nothing has been done. This was not acceptable to me so I took my child out of that school.

Matthew A. Henson Elementary School 1

Posted May 05, 2011
i am appalled at the quality of the school as a while . There is very poor communication, preparation, and education.

Matthew A. Henson Elementary School 3

Posted September 22, 2010
Needs more parent involment, that's all. If parents would concider being more involved and show that they care, the children would improve. The teachers are there, they just need to know you and how your child best learn.

Matthew A. Henson Elementary School 2

Posted February 15, 2006
Matthew Henson Elementary School provides students with an adequate education. It is my opionion that it could do a much better job with administrators who are more concerned about student achievement. The lead administrator does not respond to parents nor students.

1600 North Payson St, Baltimore, MD  21217
Last modified Matthew A. Henson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.