Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Roland Park Elementary/Middle School 2

Posted January 21, 2016
I attended RPEMS from kindergarten through the beginning of seventh grade. My experiences in elementary school here were almost entirely good ones, but for an inevitable few bad teachers. However, once I began middle school (I was in the Ingenuity Program), everything went downhill. There was a definite sense of elitism amongst the students, and for many students their self-esteem was based almost entirely on their grades. For math, each class was divided into two groups, the "fast" and the "slow" learners. Having these more personalised classes could have been quite beneficial, but because the children are taught that intelligence/gpa is their sole source of value, being placed in the "slow" class was very damaging to many students (myself included). This also created a more intense atmosphere of competition, because if a student did well enough in the "slow" class they could be promoted to the "fast" class. The rest of the classes were awful. I think the teachers did their best, but with so many students it had to have been difficult. Rather than teaching more difficult topics (as one would expect in an advanced program), the teachers merely assigned more classwork and homework on simple topics. This caused a lot of stress for many students, because it was impossible to get good grades without spending nearly all your free time working on homework (even if you understood the topic). I remember having an average of three hours of homework a day in seventh grade. Many students in my class that year dropped out (including myself) due to anxiety & depression caused by stress- CHILDREN were cutting themselves because the Ingenuity Program taught them that they have no worth beyond a number on a paper. Protect your children's mental and emotional health- do not send them here for middle school.

Posted March 17, 2015
When we first entered Roland Park Elementary School in 2003, it was a moderate-sized academically challenging neighborhood school. Our kids were happy and we felt blessed to have found one of the only decent schools in Baltimore City. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said 10 years later. In fact, we pulled our last child from Roland Park after 5th grade and transfered to private school. Through a combination of over-crowding, decline in academic rigor, poor school management on the part of Baltimore City Public Schools, terrible curriculum changes, and declining facilities, this school has had a fundamental negative shift during our 10 years of attendance. Teacher morale is low (I'm a former employee as well) and student behavior is intolerable (by my standards, which admittedly are high). Many great teachers continue to struggle on and do the best they can - my hats are off to them, as they are the one bright spot in this once great school.

Posted October 10, 2014
We moved to Baltimore February, 2014 and have had such a poor experience at Roland Park that our child now attends a private school in Baltimore City. We moved from New England and have always attended public school as a matter of fast I sat on the School Board in our town suffice to say we believed in public education. We moved to the neighborhood for the school and understood there will be an adjustment period for our son but he lost interest in going to school, felt no teacher connection, found it difficult to make friends, and never ate lunch. We expressed our concerns to teachers and vice principal and our emails were never returned. The delay in getting us into the parent portal and their online classroom parent communication system caused us to miss school events, extra curricular activities and even a day that our child was dismissed half day and no one from the front office called me (stay at home Mom) to tell me my child was sitting on the steps for hours in the afternoon. No accommodation for transferring midyear. No buddy family and no classroom buddy. Goodbye Roland Park, I am sorry we wasted my son's second half of third grade was a shame to say the least.

Roland Park Elementary/Middle School 5

Posted October 01, 2014
I attended Roland Park School K-8 50+ years ago and received a wonderful education. I've gone on to earn two graduate degrees (MSW and JD) based on this firm foundation. Lots of good memories. Thanks to all the teachers, now passed on, who educated me so well - I still remember their names. - Don Hope

Roland Park Elementary/Middle School 4

Posted April 22, 2014
Roland park is a pretty good school. The class sizes are to big, but parent volunteering helps to ease the over whelming task of teaching 30 kids with no help. There should be an assitant to help teachers everyday not only when a parent shows up.

Roland Park Elementary/Middle School 4

Posted March 23, 2014
Roland Park is fortunate to serve a population of students that performs well academically and has strong parental support. It's hard to go wrong with kids that value education. That said, I don't find the instructional practices or overall faculty/staff performance to be as impressive as the children themselves. In other words, I think the school capitalizes on its kids. Teachers are not particularly friendly (there are of course exceptions), they do not make any effort beyond what is required of them to include parents, they do not demonstrate particularly forward-thinking instructional practices (my child is drowned with dittos, for instance, and frequently describes boring lectures), and they (at least in my limited experience with 7th and 8th grade teachers) fail to see the connection between their practices and student achievement. The answer to my complaints will undoubtedly be, "But look at their scores!" My point is the scores are not a direct reflection of teacher competence. These children would be successful anywhere and this school fails to take them to the heights they could reach with excellent guidance. The 4-star rating reflects the kids, not the adults.

Roland Park Elementary/Middle School 5

Posted March 20, 2014
My son transferred here from Landsdowne Elementary school last December mid-1st grade. I used to think Lansdowne was a great school but my son started RPEMS miles behind the other kids in his class academically. It took extra time and patience from his teacher to help him get caught up. His teachers have been wonderful and his class is definitely a mix of kids who learn easily and other children who struggle a bit; like all public schools. I dont know how the classes are divided (there are 4 classes in his grade) but I do not believe they just pile the smartest kids into one class like a reviewer commented. And no parent contact? I get at least 5 emails a week from the school discussing upcoming events and anytime I have a question I email his teacher and she responds within the hour. Last year his teacher was the same way. My son also has ADHD. His teacher tried very hard to work with us because she really wanted to try everything before we tried medication. I dont think she even agreed with medicating him (at first). She tried so hard, working with us on a plan and going above and beyond what you could ask from any 2nd grade teacher with a whole class to manage. We love RPEMS!

Posted February 24, 2014
The educational excellence at Roland Park has declined significantly in the past ten years. The administration is ill equipped to teach the modern day student. Although there have been changes to administrators and curriculum over these years, the attention to statistical results has increased. Unfortunately the wholeness of the student's experience is diminished. My son is a highly functioning student with ADHD. The teachers have little experience in dealing with special needs and exceptional children are often the casualities of this lack of training. I have had other children come through the school and I am so disappointed in what is offered today. The school is holding on to the legacy of its former years and the expectations of the community in which it resides. However, I think the community at large is disappointed with the mediocrity that is now the "common core" standard for education at Roland Park.

Roland Park Elementary/Middle School 1

Posted November 04, 2013
RPEMS has gone down in recent years. Their clubs are more limited now, elitist, and poorly supervised. There is also no parent contact, which is okay if your kid is doing well, but can be very bad if your kid struggles. Teachers just keep giving work, get very irritated with low performers, and offer little support and encouragement. Instruction is test-driven, and students are just data. Classes are overcrowded and students have to compete for attention, which just means quieter students fall by the wayside or are ignored. All of this comes down to ineffective administrators. My formerly high-performing son has recently been diagnosed with ADHD, and now has low academic self-esteem and an overwhelming feeling that his teachers just don't like him. The school environment has made him miserable and frightened by punitive teachers and bullying students. I will transfer him back to his old school...where his teachers put forth an effort and cared whether he succeeded or failed, not just if they were getting their paycheck and rest on the school's former reputation. I want my son to get a good education, but not at the cost of his happiness, self-confidence, and self-esteem.

Roland Park Elementary/Middle School 1

Posted October 02, 2013
Roland Park is a good school if your child is ready to beat out other children for the best teachers. I am not sure why so many parents would put their child here when itis clear the higher level classes beginning in first grade are all rigidly tracked with best teachers. Fortunately I am the parent of a high achiever but I do not know why more parents do not speak out. Perhaps the "vocal" members of the Roland Park community like it that way but it is a form of strict educational segregation. Alternatively, I would rather pay money to attend one of the more responsive independent schools where at least ALL children have a better chance at being taught rigorous curriculum at a high level.

Roland Park Elementary/Middle School
5207 Roland Ave, Baltimore, MD  21210
Last modified Roland Park Elementary/Middle School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Roland Park Elementary/Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 78 reviews. Top