Baltimore, MD

Thomas Jefferson Elementary School 2

Posted July 23, 2014
I have 2 sons that attend this school and a few years ago when Mrs. Leisure was the principal the school excelled. Now that Mrs. Henry has taken over the school has declined tremendously. You don't have to take my word for it, look at the test scores from 2010 and back then look at then from 2012 and forward. The proof is in the pudding. The first year she got there SEVERAL teachers left then the next year even more left and they still continue to leave!! My kids come home and tell me some of the things some of the teachers say to them and I am shocked. I have went to the school and sat in the classes and the kid acted as if nor the teacher were even there!! I was so angry I went to speak with the principal about it and right then and there she proved to me that she was all bark and no bite!! The only reason I give this school 2 stars is because of the very few teachers left there that do care.....sad to see what had so much potential go down the drain :(

Posted April 07, 2014
TJ is my grandson's school. This is his first year there, and he tells me he love it there. After attending private school, we thought he would not fit in , because he had never experience public schooling in the city. TJ has changed our feeling about public education,rather they took the fear we had about his safety, and would he stay in the mindset of learning. This is an excellent school full of learning opportunities for each child, with teachers and staff that have their backs at every turn. Thank You TJ for all you do for our boys and girls. A grandmother

Posted April 03, 2014
Thomas Jefferson Elementary/Middle School is an excellent well rounded school, that is accredited with offering each student the International Baccalaureate Program. This program offers each child an excellent learning opportunity and it opens the door for a bright and successful future after having left TJ. My son is currently in the 6th grade at TJ, this is his first year attending TJ, after having been enrolled in private school from Pre-K through 5th grade. i can honestly say that my son had not lost a step in learning! I am amazingly and pleasantly satisfied! In fact, I would go even further to say that via the IB Program, my son is learning more than he would have learned in the private leadership school that he came from - which speaks volumes! The leadership and staff at TJ have all been gracefully welcoming and filled with knowledge, and I especially love how they focus on a paperless sysem, encouraging the students to complete assignmens via technology, i.e., computer, websites, jump drives, etc. Expanding the minds of young people is what TJ is all about! Thank you for the opporunity to express my kudos! Carla Sewell, Parent.

Thomas Jefferson Elementary School 3

Posted July 25, 2013
I do not see updated reviews. August, 2010 is the newest. We have lost a great librarian and art teacher. This is very sad and very bad. What is the status of the Green School? and IB?

Posted August 16, 2010
I am 14 I graduated form TJ in the 5th grade(4 years ago). When I attended Tj it was one of the greatest experiences of my life, I still to this day did not want to leave. The things I learned at TJ have lead me to success.I was the first child to ever win the Ben Carson Scholarship at Tj and i beieve it was because of what i learned while attending. To this day i still talk to my freinds from elementary school and i also still remember every little detail about the school.If you are looking for a good school to enroll your child in, stop looking and register him/her to TJ. I am Now 14 attending the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, and i thank Thomas Jefferson Elementary for it

Posted January 19, 2010
Thomas Jefferson is an International Baccalaureate School. This kind of school is known all oer the world. I am so glad my child has a chnace to have a global education. The principal and the teachers are hard working and interesting. My kids love to go to school. They love the library and the art room,too. My kids ae learning Spanish,too. Parents are always welcome at the school and feel good being there. Thanks for such a great school.

Posted November 09, 2009
Thomas Jefferson is a wonderful place to work! It's great to be a part of the TJ family. I have worked in other Baltimore City Schools and have never been treated as wonderfully as I am at TJ. The school is clean and safe and a great place for kids to learn both academic and life skills!

Posted November 02, 2009
My 4 year old son loves this school just as much as I do! His teacher in Pre-K has helped him to hold his attention to learning much longer than I did at home when I began him on the 'Hooked-on-Phonics' program. He is so independent and eagerly seeks going back to school on Sunday's. I love the 'No Nonsense' approach the entire staff has at TJ. The enforce respect, responsibility, as well as achievement! This school is run like a Private School, without the tuition!

Posted September 02, 2009
My son attended Thomas Jefferson for Pre-K and I was not too concerned because he is a very intelligent child and his teachers thought so as well for they had him in kindergarten classes for the first few hours of school to enhance his reading and math skills. I have a older son in 4th grade who I had in private school since pre-k because I was concerned about his academic needs but I took him out of private school this year and so far so good. His teacher is a bit stern which I love because he definitely needs it. He is in a larger class size than his private school but I feel he will get the attention and skills that he needs to excel academically. He loves the school and he seems to be showing a more grown up and responsible attitude since attending this school.

Posted July 02, 2009
I am a teacher at Thomas Jefferson and feel lucky to work with such a great staff and wonderful group of children. This school is by far the best I have seen through Baltimore City and many county schools as well. Students are cared for a taught in a manner that is first-class and I enjoy going in to work each day to work with my kids!

605 Dryden Dr, Baltimore, MD  21229
Last modified Thomas Jefferson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomas Jefferson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top