Baltimore, MD

Western High School 5

Posted November 04, 2014
Hello all. I am currently a member of the class of 2017 at Western High School. I say that with pride, whenever anyone asks me where I attend, because I love my school! During my freshwomen year there were several issues (which you might encounter while reading previous reviews) because of the lack of leadership roles at Western. This year we have a dedicated principal who is a Western alumna and many students and teachers can already see a positive change in our envirnonment. The main problem in this school is that some students do not take their education seriously, which in turn is a poor reflection on themselves. I do not fret because those students that I just described are leaving Western rapidly. My classes challenge me and people who complain online were most likely performing poorly in those classes. If any young female wishes to succeed, Western is the school for her! This institution is allowing me to learn in a distraction free environemnt. I have and am still growing in myself while gaining a sense of female empowerment. Thank you Western. I am a Western Dove. I am only the best.

Posted October 05, 2014
In all of my years, I have been to about 5 schools. Western has got to be the worst. The students are disrespectful and rude towards one another (especially towards the teachers) and in terms of academics, the school is so much worse than anyone could've anticipated. Blasted music on phones and rude students are all you see in the halls and if you try to confront anyone about it, you'd better prepare for a fight. Definitely disappointed beyond belief. Do not come to this school.

Posted July 30, 2014
This school is the absolute WORST one I've ever had the misfortune of attending. I am currently a student here, but I am begging my parents to transfer me after just one year of going. Many of the students did not pay attention during class, but instead they just played on their phones and blast music. I'm going to come out straight and say it, THIS SCHOOL IS GHETTO.The whole year I was there, I did not once see our principal and for the first couple of weeks they forgot to assign a teacher for our home room. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN HERE EVER WORST SCHOOL I HAVE EVER BEEN TO!

Western High School 5

Posted June 24, 2014
Western is one of the best schools in the BCPS. My daughter completed 4 years there. She was accepted into 6 colleges, all for engineering. The school has changed from 10-20 years ago, but what school hasn t? Discipline is an issue. The staff are unable to kick-out disruptive students as in the past, but that is a school system policy. In spite of the obstacles, the staff and teachers will go out of their way to help your child achieve, IF she wants to achieve. I repeat IF she wants to achieve. The teachers are overworked and stressed because they are asked to do more with less. In spite of this they are willing to go the extra mile for your daughter if she is willing to put forth the effort. The teachers staff do not have the emotional and mental bandwidth to go get and drag your child kicking and screaming to learn something. If she wants to step up and challenge herself, they are encouraging and supportive. If she wants to get C s and not try, (homework, studying, coach class) there is no one there to pull her up and cajole, pamper, bribe, convince or force her to do so. The teachers simply do not have the bandwidth. Maybe the parents should take on that role

Posted June 17, 2014
I would like to say this school has changed dramatically for the worst. I would not recommend any girls to attend here. The girls are more concern with fighting, being disruption in class and out right disrespectful towards teachers, adults and their peers. Clearly what once was held as a high esteem and prestigious school of scholarly classy women, has changed to a bunch of low class disrespectful girls who need a lot of home training. Also, the staff is unable to manage this girls because their definitely NOT women! Run for the hills and don't send your child to this awful place. There is no learning taken place because there's to many girls in training learning to do the wrong thing!! Western High School gets a fat F- in my opinion!

Posted June 08, 2014
Hello I am an up in coming senior at Western. Yes this school is deteriorating at the blink on an eye only because they lower their standards for the incoming girls. Reasons: because its an all girl school and we are going against other schools and the school needs the money for example, for every student we get an amount, plus if we had kept our composite score at 610 or higher we would not have as many girls (which mean no money), we would not have as many teachers (lost of jobs). Also some of these parents commenting on here kids might not of made it in. western is a wonderful school. I promise you if they claim western don't teach them nothing (lie) it teaches them to always be proud of your sex, never let anyone tell you a female cant do something a male can, it will inspire you to become the best of the best. You will meet great people before you graduate. Western also offer wonderful opportunities. Yes western has its flaws so does every other school, we also have some of the top kids in baltimore city they will do greatness in their life time. So please don't sleep on us. Western is a once in a life time thing. P.s don't send your kids here if they don't want to come.

Posted April 13, 2014
This school has very good academics. I'm a going to Western next year, entering into the Health Science Program. You learn about human anatomy and medicine. In 12th grade you start internships in hospitals such as John Hopkins Hospital. One thing that concerns me is the space. The classroom space is very small. Other than that, I picked Western over Carver and Towson high because it will best ready me for college and getting a career.

Western High School 3

Posted January 23, 2014
I would also like to add that Mr. Griffin one of guidance counselors is Superb. I have found the counselor that my child is assigned to, Mrs. Ward to be unavailable and aloof. The guidance secretary has little knowledge and I have found her to be generally rude and unhelpful. Mr. Griffin has always been helpful during my visits to Western. The breakdown of counselors to student is ineffective. During my time at Western, counselors were assigned by Class not by alphabet as they are now. That meant that during busy times for Seniors that the other counselors could be available. The current model does not work well for students as many times non seniors who also have important issues are not able to meet with counselors.

Posted January 20, 2014
Hello, I am a current senior at Western High School. Seeing the review that a current junior in Western has submitted can definitely give you insight of what a student who attends this school encounters. While all of what this student states is true there are some factors that must be taken into consideration. Yes, Western does not have heating or cooling systems in each class to accommodate every student. Which is why Western encourages their girls to wear appropriate clothing during each season (Sweaters, Shorts to the knee, etc.). Also, I agree that some students are not able to learn subjects by teachers who's first language is not English. That happens. Not everyone in North America or the world for that matter speaks English; therefore you'll have to work with people such as your teachers. So get over it. Try learning and paying attention to the language of the subject and not the flaws of your teachers. Also, I would like to state that the staff there has assembled a training guide of what a Western dove should be which is great! Western will over prepare your daughter academically! Which is what she should be coming to school for in the first place!

Posted January 06, 2014
Hi, I would like to say that from reading the comment about Western High School being one the of most unsatisfactory school in Baltimore City, is true. Yes, in past years Western was the best school for young women to attend but now it is unruly. The principle is never there as well as guidance consulters. My being a junior in this situation is not helping me at all. There are teachers that barely know English are teaching me algebra. I do not understand anything they say or anything in my other classes because if the majority does not understand a topic then it doesn't matter. School is not about getting scholarships anymore. Its about passing, Which is becoming harder to do when the grading system makes no sense to the students nor the teachers. Western is a failing school to me. No air, no heat, no teachers, no principle, no cares, and no worries. Do you all not realize this is hurting those who come after me? But, I guess not, you all already have your education. That's what I'm told everyday.

Western High School
4600 Falls Rd, Baltimore, MD  21209
Last modified Western High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Western High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top