Maree Garnett Farring Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 589 students

Posted December 22, 2013

Maree Garnett needs serious instructiuonal structure, the Office itself is continuously in disarray ,Children are being Bullied even the School Nurse stated 5 Children came from 1 classroom saying they were sick ,when infact her conversation with me was "There is a pattern going on, when 5 kids from the same class are upset with even going to School,i I have addressed this issue several times,with the School, to no avail nothing is being done, as for the lunchroom, the supervision is minnimal I stood by several times just watching what goes on, the kids not only are treated with no respect but also are rushed to eat their food in a manner to which its impossible for them,the staff in the office is always either belittleling Children, very noisy making comments about Parents the structure and Guidence in the School is the worst ive ever seen. Some Teachers know that some of the Children are having their belongings stolen and when you address the Teacher her answer is oh I didnt know that after they have been told numerous times, what this School needs is more dedicated and respectful Staff, Teachers who care,Office staff that listen ,they should start paying attention!

Posted December 19, 2013

Maree G. Farring Elementary/Middle School This school is a pathetic example of what public education should be. Extremely overcrowded classrooms, teachers and a principal that are there strictly to collect a paycheck. No one cares that the children are under supervised and not being educated as they should be. They bend the rules to fit their own needs, cover their own behinds anyway necessary and the Board of Education looks the other way. Unlocked doors, breakfast and lunches not what they are supposed to be according to state approved menus, lack of books...I can't afford private school. If I could, my children would not be attending this horrible waste of taxpayer money. I am trying to stay involved, to make a difference..but I feel like it's a losing battle. Home schooling is my only other alternative and it's looking better and better with each passing day. Where can we turn to make this school safe and appropriate for all the students? Yes, it's in a poor neighborhood, Title I school. But don't all children deserve a decent education in the best environment we can provide ? These educators get paid EXTRA to be employed in the city !

Posted October 11, 2013

This school is the worst!!! The staff is not personable, they are rude, class rooms are overcrowded, not enough extracurricular activities, and the food is horrible. My kids hate this school just as much as I do. My child was sick and I sent a friend to check him out, the office staff didn t ask for ID, didn t ask to sign the book to check him out, and my son left out the office with no one even questioning who the lady was. Worst school in Baltimore City!

Posted July 16, 2013

Is in dire need of guidance for the staff member. This school's staff members need people skills. The principle has an attitude that sets the pace for her staff, which is negative toward the parents, students, and guest. This school needs to be evaluated.

Posted June 7, 2013

Ms. Zant/Ross is rude and abusive to the children!!! And the principal DOES NOTHING ABOUT IT!!!

Posted August 12, 2012

I can only say that this school needs to get the Office staff together, you cannot even walk in the Office and be greeted there is so much noise ni Leadership no direction, its very sad there truly!Also the lunch area aids who are suppose to be there to assist you have had several children who were actually choking on a piece of food a kindergen child and was punished for yelling that she really had something in her throat. now either they get new staff that actually care about our liitle children and even the big ones who try so hard with not enough recognition! They have no recess for these kids no Gym maybe a few minutes of activity maybe!!! I suggest they get it together and terminate the ones who really are not there for our kids they know who they are. I will also be sending this e mail to Dept of Education then maybe we will see a change and the playing in the office will end,How about we concern ourselves with the kids we put in your care for 6 hours a day? That would be a plus

Posted March 12, 2012

Ms. Ross doesn't daily verbally abuses children . The principal does acknowledge the kids who do so well. The kids I know love it there and this school is a nice school Mrs.Bewster is kind and care as well as Mrs,Ross.They were there when attend school there I am junior in high school now.Mrs.Ross got me through some dificult times that I was going though while attend that school.The teacher let me stay after school extra help and made feel like they care with so much support. The office staff is amazing they help out alot when I just recantly went for a vist. I don't know all this negative comments are but they are wrong.The staff is friendly and amazing people just choice to take some of things people say in a different content.The princiable runs a school of corse she don't have time to talk to parents its called make an appointment .My nephew has adhd and goes to that school and reveices all the help he needs.My nephew is a sickly child and give him all the help he needs .THis is a great school i love it.

Posted July 5, 2011

All of my children have attended Maree G. Farring Elementry. I find that it is a great school with staff that really cares for its students.

Posted May 3, 2011

This schoo id Terrible! I think that the teachers do what they can for the most part. But the principal is not helpful at all. The office staff is rude. I am constantly getting notifications for things at last minutes notice. Such as permission slips for field trips & events going on at the school involving my child. I even have recieved papers stating that they were due the same day they were sent home. Makes no sense! This school seems very disorganized! Also, I was called to pick my child up early one day because they said that she might have lice. They weren't sure. I took her to the doctor the same evening & she did not have lice! I was very upset that I was called to come pick her up early & that she was missing her class while sitting in the nurse's office for nothing. They can't even get that right!! I am very disappointed with this school & am seriously considering having my child change scools next school year. This scool is rediculous!!

Posted April 12, 2011

This is the worse school ever. Children are allowed to walk out of classrooms as they please without any consequences. The staff is not friendly. the Principal never has time to speak to parents, as if you are bothering her. I am pulling my child out of this school for next school year. There are many children here with some form of ADHD or Mood disorders that do not receive the help needed to be a success. SST is to busy to help these kids and parents. There are a lot of children here with serious illness like diabetes and the staff is not trained to handle these issues.

Posted June 16, 2010

My son began attending the 7th grade at the school this year. I am very dissatisfied with the level of education, the level of communication with the home (there have been instances when I have gone to the school to talk to administration or others and was turned away, called to speak about a very serious matter with the principal and was abruptly given a response by a secretary who proceeded to simply hang up without truly answering my concern), and most concerned about the bullying at the school. The course and activity offerings at the middle school level are pathetic in comparison to other middle school-only schools. The teachers are doing the best that they can do with what they have been given. However, I am taking my son out of this school for the upcoming school year. My children deserve better than what is offered here.

Posted September 18, 2009

The teachers care a lot about the kids. They are willing to try new things to get the job done.

Posted October 2, 2008

I am not happy how the school is operating this school year 2008. I am upset how they do not notify parents when they move the child from one class to another. He was upset and speaking to school administrators didn't help. There is no communication between school and home.

Posted December 25, 2007

My niece has been in a Pre-K Program at Farring. I have found the Pre K program to be strong, caring, and effective.

Posted August 4, 2007

The teachers at this school are EXCEPTIONAL!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. Zellers is the best teacher my child has ever had. The principal and vice principal need to go to another school. They are very unpleasent especially the assiatant principal. Parents are not made to feel welcome or needed. Poor parent/school relationship. I don't think this school has a pta/pto. That would be nice to see in the future.

Posted July 24, 2007

Having children in this school through two diffrent administrations I must say bring back the Mr. Stroschein!! The new principal and vice principal need to go back to be educated in the art of communication. Never have parents felt so unwelcome as they do now. Parent group that fell apart much to the fault of the principal not keeping out of things and wanting it 'her way'. I will be glad when my children are out of here this year. I hope the next principal will be more welcoming to us parents.

Posted October 3, 2006

I have 4 children in this school. The new principal is working very hard to make our school a better school. Some of the most excellent teachers are, Mrs Waller she is an excelent teacher like Erlich. Mr Posner and Ms Vu are very involved with after school help as well as in, Ms Lepley and Mrs Hitt and Mrs Frey I liked and feel they taught well. Mrs Coma works hard in the school and with students from what I see.

Posted March 28, 2006

The Teaching staff is great, however, the principal this year is not up to par. We the school has no AP, and many programs have been taken away from the children. The parent volunteers are way down, and this will be the last year for some very good teachers. The current PTO is totally disfunctional, and has don very little this year, and getting infomation on time is out of the question. Technology is also falling short this year.

Posted December 7, 2005

My son is a student at Maree Farring, this is his 3rd year, and all is well. The teachers & staff are excellent. A few faults of the school are, they have very few extracuricular activities and I dont feel as though they discipline children that act out in class. Take it from me, my son has been acting out this year and I feel as though the only punishment for his behavior is from me. I feel as though it should come from both ends. If the students know that their actions arent going to be tolerated at school then maybe they would see a change for the better in the students. Other then that, I have no complaints!

Posted August 17, 2005

The teachers at Farring are GREAT! We have a new Principal this year so we shall see how things go this year. Farring needs to work on getting kids outside more and contorl in the lunch room. I hope the 2005- 2006 school year is great at Maree Farring this year! We need more parents involed this year! Mellissa Proud MOM of 2 children at School #203

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

64 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

57 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

54 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

32 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2014.

n/a

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

39 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

38 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2014.

37 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 88%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Level of special education programming offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 Pontiac Ave